smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

I have backup files encrypted from a previous username that has been deleted
(hard drive crash). Any way of retrieving them ?- lots of photos and word
docs.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Before encrypting anything important, you should back up your
personal encryption certificate (with its associated private key)
and the recovery agent certificate to a floppy disk and store it in
a secure location. If you ever lose your original certificate
(because of a hard disk failure, for example), you can restore
the backup copy and regain access to your files. If you lose all
copies of your certificate (and no recovery agent certificates exist),
you won't be able to use your encrypted files. No back door exists,
nor is there any practical way to hack these files.
(If there were, it wouldn't be very good encryption.)

HOW TO: Remove File Encryption in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308993

Without a backup of the original Encryption Certificate Key, encrypted files
are unrecoverable as they will stay encrypted forever. There is no recovery
method since the encryption algorithm is now completely different with a
reinstall of Windows XP.

See if the following articles help in any way:

Best Practices for the Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

Encrypting File System in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/cryptfs.mspx

EFS Files Appear Corrupted When You Open Them
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329741

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"smith" wrote:

| I have backup files encrypted from a previous username that has been deleted
| (hard drive crash). Any way of retrieving them ?- lots of photos and word
| docs.
|
| Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Your data is most likely gone for good.
See the links at the bottom of this page for ways to help prevent this in
the future:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"smith" <smith@aol.com> wrote in message
>I have backup files encrypted from a previous username that has been
>deleted
> (hard drive crash). Any way of retrieving them ?- lots of photos and word
> docs.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS