encryption problems

I have backup files encrypted from a previous username that has been deleted
(hard drive crash). Any way of retrieving them ?- lots of photos and word
docs.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers
2 answers Last reply
More about encryption problems

    Before encrypting anything important, you should back up your
    personal encryption certificate (with its associated private key)
    and the recovery agent certificate to a floppy disk and store it in
    a secure location. If you ever lose your original certificate
    (because of a hard disk failure, for example), you can restore
    the backup copy and regain access to your files. If you lose all
    copies of your certificate (and no recovery agent certificates exist),
    you won't be able to use your encrypted files. No back door exists,
    nor is there any practical way to hack these files.
    (If there were, it wouldn't be very good encryption.)

    HOW TO: Remove File Encryption in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308993

    Without a backup of the original Encryption Certificate Key, encrypted files
    are unrecoverable as they will stay encrypted forever. There is no recovery
    method since the encryption algorithm is now completely different with a
    reinstall of Windows XP.

    See if the following articles help in any way:

    Best Practices for the Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    Encrypting File System in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/cryptfs.mspx

    EFS Files Appear Corrupted When You Open Them
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329741

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "smith" wrote:

    | I have backup files encrypted from a previous username that has been deleted
    | (hard drive crash). Any way of retrieving them ?- lots of photos and word
    | docs.
    |
    | Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

    Your data is most likely gone for good.
    See the links at the bottom of this page for ways to help prevent this in
    the future:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    "smith" <smith@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I have backup files encrypted from a previous username that has been
    >deleted
    > (hard drive crash). Any way of retrieving them ?- lots of photos and word
    > docs.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Configuration Encryption Microsoft Customization Windows XP