Drowning in CPU choices

VIO

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Hey first post...Sorry to be 'that guy' but I need help choosing a CPU/motherboard for a new desktop i'm building. Honestly I have no experience with buying CPU's or boards, I've never really had the money to spend to upgrade them on older systems. I've always just had the cash to upgrade video/sound cards and RAM in in systems I would aquire here and there. But now I got some money and I'm building a one from scratch. Problem is I've lost track of the current CPU market and am having trouble navigate through.

I need some advice on which CPU/board to pick up for the best gaming rig I can afford, price range for this stuff is about 400-500 give or take. i'm looking for the best bang for my buck while still not settling. Gonna finally build that rig to play 'Oblivion' with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks in advance for the help guys. Go easy on me I'm new!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hey first post...Sorry to be 'that guy' but I need help choosing a CPU/motherboard for a new desktop i'm building. Honestly I have no experience with buying CPU's or boards, I've never really had the money to spend to upgrade them on older systems. I've always just had the cash to upgrade video/sound cards and RAM in in systems I would aquire here and there. But now I got some money and I'm building a one from scratch. Problem is I've lost track of the current CPU market and am having trouble navigate through.

I need some advice on which CPU/board to pick up for the best gaming rig I can afford, price range for this stuff is about 400-500 give or take. i'm looking for the best bang for my buck while still not settling. Gonna finally build that rig to play 'Oblivion' with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks in advance for the help guys. Go easy on me I'm new!

First if you ant to paly the latest games you will need to spend at least $300 on the video card.

If you prefer Intel you may want to wait and see how long their newest chip takes to get to stores. Core 2 E6400

If you prefer AMD, anything dual core will work fine - not that Intel P4 dual core won't but they run hotter and don't have an upgrade path.

AM2 is AMDs new chip and it will be upgradeable for two years or so.

A 4200+ and an ASRock mobo will be great.

I actually found this on Newegg so it looks liek AMD has dropped thier prices already.

Special savings with combo purchase, while supplies last!AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor - Retail
2.4GHz
90 nm Venice
512KB L2 Cache
Avg Rating: [83] $144.99

Well, following up they are not dropping the price of X2 4800+, but the 4200+ is now $358.

That 3800+ will hold you over though.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
For $400-$500 on mobo and CPU, you can easily get a good Core 2 CPU and mobo. But don't forget other componenets like memory and the GPU.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
On such a tight budget, the best way to go would be to get a 7900GT along with a cheap S939 single core. It would be counterproductive to buy anything more expensive than a 3200+, that would only leave him with less money to put on the GPU.

S939 3200+ 99$
Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 67$
2x 512MB Patriot 71$ (after 20$ MiR)
XFX 7900GT 235$ (after 30$ MiR)

That would be 472$ before the two MiR, sweet deal IMHO.

Obviously, you'll have to spend a bit more if you don't already have a decent PSU, HDD and optical drive...

VIO

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Hey thanks for the replys guys, really appreciate it and i'm looking into all your sugestions!
Just to clarify, you're looking to spend at most $400 - $500 on just the CPU and motherboard, right? Or is that the limit for your entire system (excluding a monitor)?

Yeah, the 400 -$500 is my range for CPU motherboard give or take, looking to spend around 700-900 for whole system (excluding monitor, and peripherials)

Also I've been looking arounf the site here, and came across the "build a rig for 720" feature which used the intel Pd 805 highly overclocked, I read alot of the posts about it, but still not able to get a good vibe on it. Is it worth it?

VIO

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I got a question about dual core CPUs. From what I've read a dual CPU doesn't seem to make much of a difference in gaming at the moment, Should I get one anyway to give me a good platform for vista and for future gaming that takes advantage of multithreading, I do do alot of video editing besides games would a duel core help with that? or should I just save some money?

Also it looks like the new intel chips are shipping in like 2 weeks, is it worth it to wait and get the low prince range conroe or should I take advantage of the price drops on other CPUs?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
You should wait for core2duo, even the cheapest chip is supposed to out perform anything on the market right now.

Also, you said $400 for mb/cpu and $900 for the entire of the system. If you are trying to play oblivion you will have to get a damn good video card and at least 2 gb of ram. Those two combined may run $500 - $600 which is not a lot left.

Get a dual core, not many games use them now but you'll regret single core in 1-2 years.

VIO

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Thaks for the response. Cool will probobly wait for the E6600 then, I think that was the one in the $200-$300 range. Can anyone recommend a compatible mobo?

As for my $900 yeah I realize that might be a little cheap more like an esitmate, For the GPU I'm think of going with the 7800GT 256mb wihich is about $270, haven't looked into RAM yet...

Darkfire001

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Just in reply to this :p

First if you ant to paly the latest games you will need to spend at least $300 on the video card.

Umm..no :p You can play every latest game with a 7600GT at about $130 after rebate ;)

And you could pick up a nice 7900GT for <$240.

If you want to play those games VERY WELL :p then yah $300 is about on spot :)