Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX 550 TI SLI Good enough for BF3 ULTRA?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 10, 2012 9:51:15 PM

I am currently thinking of upgrading my pc's graphics cards from a single GTX 550 TI 1gb to SLI.
my spec are 750w psu
a AMD fx 6100 3.3 six core
i have 8gb of DDR3 kingston ram
I need to know the following:

1. how many fps would i get on bf3 with ultra?

2. i have seen two GTX 550 TI in SLI run BF3 on ultra with a consistent 60-55 FPS. there is one moment where the FPS does lower to around 25. now 25 is still a good playable level.
the URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbXTctPyv9A

so is this good? or should i get a single gtx 560 ti?


Note: i am aiming around 60 fps so which one is better in terms of performance??

Best solution

a c 1410 U Graphics card
March 10, 2012 10:46:46 PM

I would go with the GTX560Ti solution! http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
Share
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2012 11:05:22 PM

Both cards will reach VRAM limit and they will not be able to make good FPS at 1920x1080. Unless you are playin at 1680x1050 where they should perform better.
In my opinion you should wait a bit for Kepler and if it costs around $300-350 I am sure that price of most cards will drop down.
And even if you will be not able to grab a Kepler, I think that a 560ti 448 or a 570 (both have good performance and 1280MB RAM) should be more affordable to buy.
Score
0
Related resources
March 10, 2012 11:22:17 PM

Memnarchon said:
Both cards will reach VRAM limit and they will not be able to make good FPS at 1920x1080. Unless you are playin at 1680x1050 where they should perform better.
In my opinion you should wait a bit for Kepler and if it costs around $300-350 I am sure that price of most cards will drop down.
And even if you will be not able to grab a Kepler, I think that a 560ti 448 or a 570 (both have good performance and 1280MB RAM) should be more affordable to buy.


REPLY:
thanks for the info but i cant help but ask what is Keplar? (herp derp)
also you didnt seem to answer the question of how many fps.......
i also sent you a url to a video show casing that 2 gtx 550 ti would perform around 60 fps on bf3 ultra on a single monitor!
so i just am completely stuck!
could you just lower it down to a computer noobs level and tell me the direct answer?
thanx
Score
0
March 10, 2012 11:24:58 PM

rolli59 said:
I would go with the GTX560Ti solution! http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...



Thanks for the info but you didn't answer the question! I asked how many fps you would get!
Also i heard that 2 GTX 550 TI SLI would either perform the same as a GTX 570 or perform slightly better?
So could you please answer me more simplified?

thanks
Score
0
a c 1410 U Graphics card
March 10, 2012 11:35:10 PM

lonewolf9918 said:
Thanks for the info but you didn't answer the question! I asked how many fps you would get!
Also i heard that 2 GTX 550 TI SLI would either perform the same as a GTX 570 or perform slightly better?
So could you please answer me more simplified?

thanks

I do not know how many frames you will get with 2 x 550Ti! The 550 is going to be around 15% better than GTS450 so it would be somewhere in between the 560Ti and 570, I am just a firm believer in a single card solution rather than 2 weaker cards and you asked the question "or should i get a single gtx 560 ti? "
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2012 11:54:22 PM

lonewolf9918 said:
REPLY:
thanks for the info but i cant help but ask what is Keplar? (herp derp)
also you didnt seem to answer the question of how many fps.......
i also sent you a url to a video show casing that 2 gtx 550 ti would perform around 60 fps on bf3 ultra on a single monitor!
so i just am completely stuck!
could you just lower it down to a computer noobs level and tell me the direct answer?
thanx


Kepler is the next gpu architecture from nvidia. We will see numbers on Monday (hopefully). I think most sites will have the new gtx 660/670 or w/e its called and we will see how it performs in battlefield.

I saw the youtube video. It was just a place which was a really small one plus a lot of indoor fight. And apart from the 26fps spike he had a lot more but all of them where above 40fps. At larger areas/levels he should have stuttering and lower fps. (about stuttering check this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-geforce-stutter-cr... )

My answer is to wait a bit. If you can spend $210 on a gpu (560ti), it should be wise to wait for kepler so all prices should go down. And if you are not able to buy kepler, a 560ti 448 will perform similar to 550SLI (without the stuttering issues) within the 560 ti price range.

:) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 12:33:15 AM

lonewolf9918 said:
I am currently thinking of upgrading my pc's graphics cards from a single GTX 550 TI 1gb to SLI.
my spec are 750w psu
a AMD fx 6100 3.3 six core
i have 8gb of DDR3 kingston ram
I need to know the following:

1. how many fps would i get on bf3 with ultra?

2. i have seen two GTX 550 TI in SLI run BF3 on ultra with a consistent 60-55 FPS. there is one moment where the FPS does lower to around 25. now 25 is still a good playable level.
the URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbXTctPyv9A

so is this good? or should i get a single gtx 560 ti?


Note: i am aiming around 60 fps so which one is better in terms of performance??

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 12:39:56 AM

NOBODY KNOWS YOUR FPS BECAUSE NO ONE THATS SERIOUS ABOUT GAMES BUY 550TI'S, if you have seen people drop down to 26fps with that setup thats no good if you wanna decent consistent gaming experience you want to have minimums round 40fps with it at 60 the rest of the time. i would sell your 550ti now while its still current stock and get a single good card there are way to many variables with sli and cfx. i have tried both and will stick with one good card from now on. p.s your crappy bulldozer cpu will slow u down too when you get a high end vid card.
Score
0
March 11, 2012 12:59:28 AM

Memnarchon said:
Kepler is the next gpu architecture from nvidia. We will see numbers on Monday (hopefully). I think most sites will have the new gtx 660/670 or w/e its called and we will see how it performs in battlefield.

I saw the youtube video. It was just a place which was a really small one plus a lot of indoor fight. And apart from the 26fps spike he had a lot more but all of them where above 40fps. At larger areas/levels he should have stuttering and lower fps. (about stuttering check this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-geforce-stutter-cr... )

My answer is to wait a bit. If you can spend $210 on a gpu (560ti), it should be wise to wait for kepler so all prices should go down. And if you are not able to buy kepler, a 560ti 448 will perform similar to 550SLI (without the stuttering issues) within the 560 ti price range.

:) 



Im not one that agree's on waiting for the next gen boards. I was looking at 6970's in January. I was being told by many to wait till the new ATI cards came out and prices "should" go down on the 6xxx series cards even if I could not afford a 7xxx card. Well Im glad I did not wait. Now the 6970's and 6950's are more money than they were in January and every brand is out of stock at New Egg. The XFX cards that were 319 are now 349. HIS was 329 now 349 etc etc. In the end I bought a GTX 570 for 339 and now that card is 349.

There will always be something to wait for. I say if your ready to buy go for it. Also to the OP, I would go with the single card GTX560Ti also. If your not a regular tinkerer on the PC it will be much easier for you to care fore a single card solution. Just my 2cents :D 
Score
0
March 11, 2012 1:01:25 AM

^^^jasont78^^^Please keep in mind that folks residing in the real world often have to work within a budget. Too often, hw enthusiasts let the good become the enemy of the perfect and while the OP's CPU isn't an SBE, it's more than capable of producing an enjoyable game-play experience. Anyone can suggest to simply go buy a 3960X and a GTX 580.

OP: You can wait for a Kepler card if you wish, but a single 560 ti, 560 ti 448, or a 6950 would do well also.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 2:02:18 PM

rogbur22 said:
Im not one that agree's on waiting for the next gen boards. I was looking at 6970's in January. I was being told by many to wait till the new ATI cards came out and prices "should" go down on the 6xxx series cards even if I could not afford a 7xxx card. Well Im glad I did not wait. Now the 6970's and 6950's are more money than they were in January and every brand is out of stock at New Egg. The XFX cards that were 319 are now 349. HIS was 329 now 349 etc etc. In the end I bought a GTX 570 for 339 and now that card is 349.

There will always be something to wait for. I say if your ready to buy go for it. Also to the OP, I would go with the single card GTX560Ti also. If your not a regular tinkerer on the PC it will be much easier for you to care fore a single card solution. Just my 2cents :D 


I bought my GTX570 for 300 :) . You should anyway wait for some great deals.

But you are not comparing here apples to apples. By waiting only for AMD gpus that isn't very promising for price drops (although AMD never before released a single gpu card that was priced more than $380 (HD5870) as far as I remember). We want both companies to have release their next generation and since amd released it already and nvidia its gonna release at monday, why to rush?

And one more thing about rushing to buy PC hardware. You might not have problem changing card every generation but there are people that they dont change gpu each generation (architecture to be more accurate). So when waiting for a week or two there is a chance that might give you free performance boost, lower power consumption and lower heat and more features why to rush. Imagine how people felt that bought GTX480 two weeks before the GTX580 release (it was somewhat of a ninja release, noone saw it coming) on the almost the same price (GTX480 was a little lower than $500 and it was replaced with the more or less $500 GTX580).
Score
0
March 11, 2012 7:46:34 PM

Memnarchon said:
I bought my GTX570 for 300 :) . You should anyway wait for some great deals.

But you are not comparing here apples to apples. By waiting only for AMD gpus that isn't very promising for price drops (although AMD never before released a single gpu card that was priced more than $380 (HD5870) as far as I remember). We want both companies to have release their next generation and since amd released it already and nvidia its gonna release at monday, why to rush?

And one more thing about rushing to buy PC hardware. You might not have problem changing card every generation but there are people that they dont change gpu each generation (architecture to be more accurate). So when waiting for a week or two there is a chance that might give you free performance boost, lower power consumption and lower heat and more features why to rush. Imagine how people felt that bought GTX480 two weeks before the GTX580 release (it was somewhat of a ninja release, noone saw it coming) on the almost the same price (GTX480 was a little lower than $500 and it was replaced with the more or less $500 GTX580).



I do not change every release myself. My gtx570 replaced a HD4890 which is still a fine card btw. Anyway my point was I was being told by folks here and elsewhere to wait for AMD new release and price drops and Im glad I did not. You cannot hardly find a 6970 now and they are more expensive. So it does not always work out that way.

I have always lived by do the research and make the best purchase you can when you are ready to buy with the info you have. I have always been happy doing that and Im happy this time to ;) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 10:01:18 PM

rogbur22 said:
Anyway my point was I was being told by folks here and elsewhere to wait for AMD new release and price drops and Im glad I did not. You cannot hardly find a 6970 now and they are more expensive. So it does not always work out that way.


People cannot predict the future (at least I don't know any ways to do it and mony others I think they dont have this ability), but they can give advises based on the past. As I said before, AMD never before released a single gpu more than $380 (even if the HD5870 was better to gtx280 than HD7970 is to gtx580), so after around (i think) 10 generations (architectures) noone thought that they would go to extremes ($550) and they would just fill the current production. At least till the answer from nvidia. So it might not always works that way but it worked for the previous 100% (now its on 90% :p ).
Also the small arise in prices will always be when new architectures are about to come. This happens when a popular product isn't going to be restocked any time soon and its price goes up (I still remember this on my old GTX275 were I bought it 200 and after a few months it was at 240, same happened with my gtx570 at the same store the same product bought it for 300 and now is at 355). But when the new products flood the market, all prices went down :) .

rogbur22 said:
I have always lived by do the research and make the best purchase you can when you are ready to buy with the info you have. I have always been happy doing that and Im happy this time to ;) 


Same here. But also I learnt to have patience on buying things, so I wouldnt have to think later if I would regret about buying something. I prefer to make this thought before giving my money away. :) 

ps: Btw my gtx570 replace a card of similar performance to yours gtx275 :p 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 9:20:09 PM

Get the 560 ti, it perform better than 2 gtx 550 ti SLI'ed
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 9:23:19 PM

I had the same question...It seems that a 560ti would be better would it play ultra with decent fps...idk.
Score
0
a c 198 U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 9:29:34 PM

My 6950, which is a bit faster than a 560Ti, runs it on ultra with about 60fps consistently.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 9:33:16 PM

will a GTX 560 run it on ultra???
Score
0
a c 198 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 6:21:30 AM

2fast4thetown_down said:
will a GTX 560 run it on ultra???


It might run it on rather highly, probably not ultra unless the resolution is a bit lower.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 2:33:24 PM

Will a 7850 on 1920x1080??
Score
0
June 30, 2012 8:33:55 PM

I would get either the 560ti or spend a little more and get the 570..Also your 4100 isnt going to slow down anything right now as a single card you could get a gtx 680 now and that 4100 wont bottleneck itas long as you overclock to atleast 4ghz..
Score
0
July 7, 2012 1:19:21 AM

Best answer selected by lonewolf9918.
Score
0
July 12, 2012 5:28:50 PM

I happened to be one of the few people out there that would actually waste the money on a 550 Ti SLI setup. I had 2x EVGA 1GB FPB models and it could play BF3 on Ultra settings but the issue was the VRAM limitation of the cards, still having only 1 GB of VRAM in the SLI setup. The game would keep throttling back the VRAM usage and it incurred stuttering and severe FPS drops. So the experience was around 55-60 FPS with severe interruptions of 20-35 FPS. Cranking it down to the next lowest setting worked great and even with some of the graphics settings on Ultra, excluding the texture setting. So it is possible but it just sucks because of the lack of VRAM. This will occur in other large texture games such as Crysis 2. Skyrim doesn't seem to have an issue with the 550 Ti SLI setup, even with the high resolution textures DLC. In Skyrim, the typical GPU loads were around 90 percent, at about 62C each, and around only 700-900 MB VRAM usage.

In my case, and according to the benchmarks I did, including overclocked benchmarks, the 550 Ti SLI setup was very similar in performance to a 560 Ti if not a little better in most cases and very close to the performance of the GTX 570. But when you compare power usage and noise, 550 Ti SLI loses against any single card.

Now, I upgraded away from the 550 Ti's to a GTX 670, which is definitely the single panel sweet spot and with 2GB of VRAM, I can freely max out the settings in games without worrying. Not to mention the 1344 cores and GPU boost....

As far as a bottom line decision on an upgrade if I were in your shoes (because I was a couple weeks ago), just buy a GTX 670. The ASUS DirectCU II is your best bet in my opinion since BF3 on Ultra barely ever leaves 60 FPS (vsync) and never goes above 65C. Any other game definitely doesn't get above 60C. It's sweet.

For entertainment purposes, here was my 550 Ti SLI 3dmark11 results and here are my GTX 670 3dmark11 results. A few things to note are that I had a 4.3 CPU OC with the 550's and cut back the CPU to a OC of 4.1 when I got the 670. The 670 reports an incorrect core clock with 3dmark11 of 705 MHz. Mine goes up to 1250MHz with an aggressive OC and my memory in both configurations was actually 800MHz CL9 @ 1600MHz. It's the XMP profile for Kingston HyperX 1600's.

Sorry I'm a rambler.
Score
0
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 7:58:09 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!