How to i5 2500K + Cool?

jtwire2012

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hi there I just ordered a new motherboard, CPU, and Cooler.

CPU: i5 2500K

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Paste: Arctic Silver 5

I have some PC experience I have built 5 or 6 in the last 4 years for myself and other but have always put the stock cooler that comes with set CPU and I never overclocked... But I wanted to get a CPU that I could overclock and really just explore and have fun with there go my purchase of the "i5 2500K"

I have never but a after market cooler on or paste and was wondering if there is a good "how to" video or guide as I don't really wanna screw this up and over heat something when i turn it on or break the motherboard with the screws ex...

I am worried I wont put enough paste on or what if I put to much on.. things like that and is there any prep work just looking for advice.

jtwire2012

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
How much of a performance increase is there from my AMD phenom II X4 B55 ( which is a unlocked CPU) to the i5 2500K?? even with no over clocking??

How much of a increase do you see with over clocking it to say 4.0GHz

jtwire2012

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Yes that is correct so I will be using less power and gaining about double the performance basically? gaming I should see a noticeable improvement I know this depends on my video card as well but I will be getting a MSI GTX660 Ti OC edition when I order this as well.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It all depends on what you consider a 'noticable improvement'. The i5 will way more than keep up with the 660ti. The Phenom II X4 @ 4GHZ will struggle. So yeah, the 660ti will give all its got with the i5. It will be mildly bottle necked by the O/C PHIIX4.
Btw, if you unlocked a dual core 555 to a quad core B55 and got it up to 4GHZ... very impressive processor you managed to get. I once had a 555 that unlocked all cores and got it to 3.7GHZ with just the multiplier. But it would fault Prime95 after several hours of stress testing. I never messed with the voltage back then.