Sign in with
Your question

CPU fan facing the wrong way - can it cause drastic temp increase?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 31, 2012 6:23:44 AM

I've just found out that i've hung my CPU fan the wrong way (Rookie error i know! Get at me :p )

And it's blowing air straight into the side fan and front fan intake, + the GPU.

Is that able to cause starting temps (when i boot the pc) at 52c+ ?
August 31, 2012 7:57:43 AM

nicko11 said:
I've just found out that i've hung my CPU fan the wrong way (Rookie error i know! Get at me :p )

And it's blowing air straight into the side fan and front fan intake, + the GPU.

Is that able to cause starting temps (when i boot the pc) at 52c+ ?

A bump + more info.

It's a HAF 932 Case.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 8:04:21 AM

Fix it ASAP or risk losing your CPU. It's that simple.
Related resources
August 31, 2012 8:06:31 AM

It's not going over 61c, so i'm not afraid.

Just some drastic jumps it can take, from 40 to 56 in a second.

I guess that's causing it?
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 8:11:40 AM

The CPU fan is supposed to blow down onto the CPU, not in any other direction. 61C is not a dangerous temperature yet, but is way too high for general usage. My temps range from low 20's to low 40's max, and I don't even have an aftermarket cooler.
August 31, 2012 8:14:11 AM

Herr_Koos said:
The CPU fan is supposed to blow down onto the CPU, not in any other direction. 61C is not a dangerous temperature yet, but is way too high for general usage. My temps range from low 20's to low 40's max, and I don't even have an aftermarket cooler.

The cooler i use, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - 92mm - Can't blow directly onto it, only into the Heatsink.

And that is the part turning the wrong way, pushing the warm air from the CPU down to the GPU and intakes.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 8:14:49 AM

That is crazy high boot temps man. What cpu cooler and paste are you using? Also, I have had my computer shutdown from high cpu temps(fan went bad, ect) multiple times and no damage was done. But usually I boot at round 32c.
August 31, 2012 8:17:53 AM

thor220 said:
That is crazy high boot temps man. What cpu cooler and paste are you using? Also, I have had my computer shutdown from high cpu temps(fan went bad, ect) multiple times and no damage was done. But usually I boot at round 32c.

The Cooler is above your post, and the Paste is the CM Thermal Compound kit, nothing special, not bad either.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 8:21:21 AM

When you switch the cooler's position, make sure you applied the right amount of paste. Just enough to create a very thin layer connecting the cooler and cpu.
August 31, 2012 8:25:56 AM

thor220 said:
When you switch the cooler's position, make sure you applied the right amount of paste. Just enough to create a very thin layer connecting the cooler and cpu.

I did fail a few times.

See through thin? And should it cover the entire processor (ihs)? Or just the middle.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 8:43:15 AM

About see-through thin yes, depending on the colour. You can go for both approaches, but I prefer coating the entire chip. Use a layer of paste about paper thickness. You can use a piece of square plastic like and old credit card to even it out.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 8:55:50 AM

Not really; the weight of the cooler will flatten it out evenly. Just try not to leave any big gaps.
August 31, 2012 8:56:18 AM

Herr_Koos said:
About see-through thin yes, depending on the colour. You can go for both approaches, but I prefer coating the entire chip. Use a layer of paste about paper thickness. You can use a piece of square plastic like and old credit card to even it out.

There usually comes small scratches when i do it with a credit card, does that matter?
August 31, 2012 9:07:34 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Not really; the weight of the cooler will flatten it out evenly. Just try not to leave any big gaps.

Alright, let's see if that fixes my heating issue.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 9:27:20 AM

Also double check that the cooler is fastened properly and that everything that should go "click" went click. It has to be securely attached otherwise the heat will not be dissipated properly.
August 31, 2012 3:42:56 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Also double check that the cooler is fastened properly and that everything that should go "click" went click. It has to be securely attached otherwise the heat will not be dissipated properly.

I changed the position and applied new paste, and made it sure it's seated probably.

Still idle at 42c +.

Edit: Idle 48c.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 3:44:24 PM

I might of missed it, which way is the CPU fan blowing?

August 31, 2012 3:51:08 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
I might of missed it, which way is the CPU fan blowing?

It was blowing down towards the bottom of the case, but i've turned it around now to blow at the top exhaust fan.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 3:52:26 PM

This is your heatsink-

The fan blows air through the heatsink, how did you turn it around?

It only goes one way.
August 31, 2012 3:52:36 PM

chugot9218 said:
So you have the fan blowing into the heatsink upwards or two an exhaust correct? You do not have the fan "pulling" air off the heatsink?

It's blowing into the heatsink.

Edit: The heatsink is facing the top of my case.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 3:54:32 PM

So you have the fan blowing into the heatsink upwards or to an exhaust correct? You do not have the fan "pulling" air off the heatsink and then towards the exhaust? The fan should be blowing into the heatsink not sucking air off it.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 3:58:54 PM

Ahh didn't notice the fan was one way. My Noctua heatsink fan can go either way I believe.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 4:05:01 PM

Oh you turned the heatsink around, right.

What CPU have you got and have you OC'd?

My idle temp is around 33-35 using a near stock heatsink.
August 31, 2012 4:07:59 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Oh you turned the heatsink around, right.

What CPU have you got and have you OC'd?

My idle temp is around 33-35 using a near stock heatsink.

I've got the FX 8120, and no it's not OC'ed.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 4:12:49 PM

How fast is the fan spinning, if its spinning too slow then the heatsink will be more warmer therefor the CPU temps will increase a little.

In windows in advanced power options have you set the cooling policy to active?

EDIT- Your CPU isn't a completely cool CPU, my CPU is 62W, yours is 125W, your one outputs twice the heat of mine.
August 31, 2012 4:15:57 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
How fast is the fan spinning, if its spinning too slow then the heatsink will be more warmer therefor the CPU temps will increase a little.

In windows in advanced power options have you set the cooling policy to active?

EDIT- Your CPU isn't a completely cool CPU, my CPU is 62W, yours is 125W, your one outputs twice the heat of mine.

Yes it's active.

This is quite frustrating...
August 31, 2012 4:16:42 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Right so your idle temps are 42c, what are your full load temps?

You can stress with prime95.

Doing that right now, the CPU throttles to 1.4 Ghz after some time...

I get around 58c then it throttles down to 1.4 ghz
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 4:18:19 PM

Right so your idle temps are 42c, what are your full load temps?

You can stress with prime95.
August 31, 2012 5:16:48 PM

It's gone down to 36c idle now, seems better.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 5:19:22 PM

'Seems' better, that is better.

How big is your heatsink in real life.
August 31, 2012 5:22:37 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
'Seems' better, that is better.

How big is your heatsink in real life.

Come again?
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 5:28:16 PM

Like how big is it compared to your PSU?
August 31, 2012 5:48:26 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Like how big is it compared to your PSU?

The size of a baseball i would say.

It's idle at 41c with various apps open.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 6:03:01 PM

I think you should be getting better temps.

For stock clocks you should be at around 50c with load and around the low 30s or high 20s for idle.

My little heatsink for my P4 (little server heatsink) delivers those temps and its around the same size, maybe smaller than the stock heatsink.

Get some decent paste (Artic Silver 5, MX-4.etc) and reapply thermal paste again, clean the heatsink and fan so much that its like brand new (with cleaning alcohol) and reapply by putting a small blob on the middle of the CPU and let the pressure from the heatsink spread it, now by little i mean like slightly smaller than a pea.
August 31, 2012 6:17:08 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
I think you should be getting better temps.

For stock clocks you should be at around 50c with load and around the low 30s or high 20s for idle.

My little heatsink for my P4 (little server heatsink) delivers those temps and its around the same size, maybe smaller than the stock heatsink.

Get some decent paste (Artic Silver 5, MX-4.etc) and reapply thermal paste again, clean the heatsink and fan so much that its like brand new (with cleaning alcohol) and reapply by putting a small blob on the middle of the CPU and let the pressure from the heatsink spread it, now by little i mean like slightly smaller than a pea.

Sadly the heatsink and fan IS brand new, and so is the paste on it. And i know that the paste isn't causing it, even though that paste is better it's not a huge temp difference.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 6:25:56 PM

If you are happy with the temps then just leave it how it is, probably over time they will get better from the thermal paste kind of breaking in.
August 31, 2012 6:29:49 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
If you are happy with the temps then just leave it how it is, probably over time they will get better from the thermal paste kind of breaking in.

Just getting a bit pissed about having this issue, everything seems to be right.

Might just be a better idea to get it checked at the store! they'll probably find the error.

I could also to check if it might be the new heatsink, put the stock cooler back in.

Edit: Sometimes i get CPU Fan error at booting.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 6:34:31 PM

That means your mobo can't detect the fan, its spinning too slow for your mobo to detect it.

August 31, 2012 6:37:05 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
That means your mobo can't detect the fan, its spinning too slow for your mobo to detect it.

So i should try putting the stock back in to see if it changes something?
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 6:38:04 PM

Well thats up to you.

just FYI stock fans will spin faster than the one on your heatsink as they are designed to run fast.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 6:40:28 PM

Well thats up to you.

FYI stock fans will spin faster than the one on your heatsink as they are designed to run fast.
August 31, 2012 6:41:49 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Well thats up to you.

just FYI stock fans will spin faster than the one on your heatsink as they are designed to run fast.

I guess that wouldn't be an issue if my pc is overheating a little.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 6:52:44 PM

Yea, so you going to try it?
August 31, 2012 7:07:55 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Yea, so you going to try it?

Yeah i will, not sure i'll get it done today though, working on a project.
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 2:42:30 AM

If I could recommend some good paste, artic silver 5. Please note that it takes about a week of running to cure fully. Also if your not OCing, you might be able to get away with an undervolt of the cpu. This will reduce power usage and heat output.
September 1, 2012 10:36:29 AM

thor220 said:
If I could recommend some good paste, artic silver 5. Please note that it takes about a week of running to cure fully. Also if your not OCing, you might be able to get away with an undervolt of the cpu. This will reduce power usage and heat output.

I'm not sure if the Turbo of the processor counts as OC'ing?

And does it really take time for paste to get working 100%?

-

Tried the stock fan, just increased the temperature by 9 degrees.
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 2:14:16 PM

What mobo are you using? I assume your temps are from the BIOS monitor?

Also you should try a reality check - put your finger near the base of the heatsink if you can get to it, when running Prime95 and see how hot it feels. And while you're at it, doublecheck to make sure you actually plugged the CPU cooler fan into the CPU cooler socket on the mobo, and not some case fan or aux fan socket on the mobo. It should be labeled as such and located pretty close to the CPU socket.

I have a HAF 932 case, Asus Z77 mobo with AI Suite II - the temp sensor app is pretty accurate - and a Zalman 9900 cooler. The cooler fan blows air from inside the case through the heatsink fins and directly towards the exhaust fan on the back of the case - not up, not down, not towards the front of the case. My CPU fan speed is around 2700 rpm with a 120mm fan I believe, and my idle temps are 32 degrees C with ambient room temp at 27 degrees C. Under Prime95 large FFTs my load temp is 45 degrees C.

That case includes a huge chassis fan on the front of the case, blowing outside air over the hard drive bay, and a good-sized exhaust fan on the back of the case to remove hot air, plus huge side and top fans. The exhaust fan typically turns around 815rpm and the rest below 500rpm according to AI Suite II. Not the prettiest case in the world :p  but it sure is quiet and cool.
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 2:43:35 PM

If you have an ASUS motherboard, go into the BIOS and see if you can change the CPU Q-Fan function to performance or turbo. If I rember right it should under the hardware monitor section.
September 1, 2012 9:51:01 PM

knightdog56 said:
If you have an ASUS motherboard, go into the BIOS and see if you can change the CPU Q-Fan function to performance or turbo. If I rember right it should under the hardware monitor section.

I will try that.

fazers_on_stun said:
What mobo are you using? I assume your temps are from the BIOS monitor?

Also you should try a reality check - put your finger near the base of the heatsink if you can get to it, when running Prime95 and see how hot it feels. And while you're at it, doublecheck to make sure you actually plugged the CPU cooler fan into the CPU cooler socket on the mobo, and not some case fan or aux fan socket on the mobo. It should be labeled as such and located pretty close to the CPU socket.

I have a HAF 932 case, Asus Z77 mobo with AI Suite II - the temp sensor app is pretty accurate - and a Zalman 9900 cooler. The cooler fan blows air from inside the case through the heatsink fins and directly towards the exhaust fan on the back of the case - not up, not down, not towards the front of the case. My CPU fan speed is around 2700 rpm with a 120mm fan I believe, and my idle temps are 32 degrees C with ambient room temp at 27 degrees C. Under Prime95 large FFTs my load temp is 45 degrees C.

That case includes a huge chassis fan on the front of the case, blowing outside air over the hard drive bay, and a good-sized exhaust fan on the back of the case to remove hot air, plus huge side and top fans. The exhaust fan typically turns around 815rpm and the rest below 500rpm according to AI Suite II. Not the prettiest case in the world :p  but it sure is quiet and cool.

I get my temps from the BIOS yes, downloaded the official ASUS temp monitor.

My fan can only do it up or down. And the heatsink is quite hot when i touch it, plus i get massive FPS drops when it gets under load and to hot, so it throttles.

If your CPU fan is 2700 RPM, i might should try increasing mine. Mine is only running at 1000 RPM at 44c.

Edit: Enabling the Turbo fan didn't help, still goes high and then throttles.
September 2, 2012 9:48:49 AM

My CPU is now running at 1900 RPM, and under 100% load it reaches the high 50's.

Under high load 60-90% it is at around 40-50c.

Idle 33.
!