Will ANYTHING turn on without a CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoricuaGabe

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I'm not getting my CPU for another 2 days, but i want to know if anything will turn on without one if i tried? I am getting absolutely no response when i press the power button, so I don't know if it's because it's impossible for anything to turn on without a cpu or if i have a bad motherboard/psu.

BoricuaGabe

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Thanks. I guess I have no choice but to wait for the CPU.

The computer would turn on without a cpu but nothing would display on the screen. Even with CPU failure or no CPU installed you should still be able to hear fans running if you have any fans installed. At least with motherboards that I have tested without a CPU what happens is that you get an error code. The error is either identified with a series of beeps or if you have a super fancy motherboard it will display an error code with LEDs.

For reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eSkwCONt4Y

The link above shows a system powering on without a CPU installed. As you can see power is supplied to the components and fans do spin. In this case there is no beep because a speaker has not been installed. Therefore an error code can't be identified.

rienone

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Did you ever get the CPU in? What happened? I have a system I built but with no CPU and I was going to power it on the see if bios would start up.... NOTHING HAPPENED. I got my chip today and I am anxious to see if everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.