BF:V PunkBuster

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

Sorry to ask this question again but
I didn't get a response so I'm asking
again.

A while back I uninstalled BF:V because
I didn't like the performance I was getting.
I installed some more memory the other day
and reinstalled BF:V. Now, I can't enable PunkBuster.
I've uninstalled and cleaned out everything I can find
but when I try to install the game and that screen comes up
asking what you want to install, it says PunkBuster is already
installed and won't install it. In the game, when I try to enable PB
I get a message saying PB can't be enabled.
Anybody know what to do for this problem?

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about punkbuster
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    <0oUGd.16328$296.1511@fe06.lga>, invalid@invalid.com said...
    > Sorry to ask this question again but
    > I didn't get a response so I'm asking
    > again.
    >
    > A while back I uninstalled BF:V because
    > I didn't like the performance I was getting.
    > I installed some more memory the other day
    > and reinstalled BF:V. Now, I can't enable PunkBuster.
    > I've uninstalled and cleaned out everything I can find
    > but when I try to install the game and that screen comes up
    > asking what you want to install, it says PunkBuster is already
    > installed and won't install it. In the game, when I try to enable PB
    > I get a message saying PB can't be enabled.
    > Anybody know what to do for this problem?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    Have you tried this: http://tinyurl.com/6x2rm
    Quote:

    1. Place Disk 1 of Battlefield Vietnam in the CD-Rom Drive.
    2. When the autorun screen appears click Uninstall.
    3. Click the check box for PunkBuster for Battlefield Vietnam on the Select
    components to Install /Uninstall screen.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Insert Disk 3 of Battlefield Vietnam and click OK.
    6. Follow the steps that appear on screen to install PunkBuster for
    Battlefield Vietnam.

    If you have a PB-folder in your BFV-folder, you can delete it and try the
    above.

    Also, from pb-faq:

    How do I enable PunkBuster?

    On the game's Multiplayer screen you will see a PunkBuster checkbox near the
    bottom, under the list of servers. This checkbox is used to Enable and Disable
    the PunkBuster client. Alternatively, you can use a text editor to edit the
    pbclient.con file in the "mods/bfv/settings" folder and change/enter the line:
    "game.clientPunkBuster 1" (to enable) or "game.clientPunkBuster 0" (to
    disable). If you edit the file while the game is running, you will need to exit
    the game and restart for the change to take effect.
    --
    Lansenerd
    www.agbgaming.com
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Lansenerd wrote:
    > <0oUGd.16328$296.1511@fe06.lga>, invalid@invalid.com said...
    >
    >>Sorry to ask this question again but
    >>I didn't get a response so I'm asking
    >>again.
    >>
    >>A while back I uninstalled BF:V because
    >>I didn't like the performance I was getting.
    >>I installed some more memory the other day
    >>and reinstalled BF:V. Now, I can't enable PunkBuster.
    >>I've uninstalled and cleaned out everything I can find
    >>but when I try to install the game and that screen comes up
    >>asking what you want to install, it says PunkBuster is already
    >>installed and won't install it. In the game, when I try to enable PB
    >>I get a message saying PB can't be enabled.
    >>Anybody know what to do for this problem?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >
    > Have you tried this: http://tinyurl.com/6x2rm
    > Quote:
    >
    > 1. Place Disk 1 of Battlefield Vietnam in the CD-Rom Drive.
    > 2. When the autorun screen appears click Uninstall.
    > 3. Click the check box for PunkBuster for Battlefield Vietnam on the Select
    > components to Install /Uninstall screen.
    > 4. Click Next.
    > 5. Insert Disk 3 of Battlefield Vietnam and click OK.
    > 6. Follow the steps that appear on screen to install PunkBuster for
    > Battlefield Vietnam.
    >
    > If you have a PB-folder in your BFV-folder, you can delete it and try the
    > above.
    >
    > Also, from pb-faq:
    >
    > How do I enable PunkBuster?
    >
    > On the game's Multiplayer screen you will see a PunkBuster checkbox near the
    > bottom, under the list of servers. This checkbox is used to Enable and Disable
    > the PunkBuster client. Alternatively, you can use a text editor to edit the
    > pbclient.con file in the "mods/bfv/settings" folder and change/enter the line:
    > "game.clientPunkBuster 1" (to enable) or "game.clientPunkBuster 0" (to
    > disable). If you edit the file while the game is running, you will need to exit
    > the game and restart for the change to take effect.

    Thank you Lansenerd for responding.
    I've tried everything I can think of and can't get it to install
    PB. I even went through and cleaned out other games
    that I know use PB like Enemy Territory thinking that
    there could be something left over making the program
    think PB is still on the computer. I guess it will have to
    wait until the next OS reinstall.
    Thanks again.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    <VKWGd.16422$d8.2714@fe06.lga>, invalid@invalid.com said...
    > Thank you Lansenerd for responding.
    > I've tried everything I can think of and can't get it to install
    > PB. I even went through and cleaned out other games
    > that I know use PB like Enemy Territory thinking that
    > there could be something left over making the program
    > think PB is still on the computer. I guess it will have to
    > wait until the next OS reinstall.
    > Thanks again.
    >
    >
    Strange. The pb-faq says it's only installed into the pb-folder, nothing in
    registry or elsewhere.
    --
    Lansenerd
    www.agbgaming.com
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Mitch" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message

    > I've tried everything I can think of and can't get it to install
    > PB. I even went through and cleaned out other games
    > that I know use PB like Enemy Territory thinking that
    > there could be something left over making the program
    > think PB is still on the computer. I guess it will have to
    > wait until the next OS reinstall.
    > Thanks again.

    Whats in the PB folder under the BFV folder? Anything?

    L.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Lansenerd wrote:
    > <VKWGd.16422$d8.2714@fe06.lga>, invalid@invalid.com said...
    >
    >>Thank you Lansenerd for responding.
    >>I've tried everything I can think of and can't get it to install
    >>PB. I even went through and cleaned out other games
    >>that I know use PB like Enemy Territory thinking that
    >>there could be something left over making the program
    >>think PB is still on the computer. I guess it will have to
    >>wait until the next OS reinstall.
    >>Thanks again.
    >>
    >>
    >
    > Strange. The pb-faq says it's only installed into the pb-folder, nothing in
    > registry or elsewhere.

    This is one of the strangest things I've seen. I'll try again
    doing it the way you told me and see what happens.
    Thanks
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Lorian wrote:
    > "Mitch" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >
    >
    >>I've tried everything I can think of and can't get it to install
    >>PB. I even went through and cleaned out other games
    >>that I know use PB like Enemy Territory thinking that
    >>there could be something left over making the program
    >>think PB is still on the computer. I guess it will have to
    >>wait until the next OS reinstall.
    >>Thanks again.
    >
    >
    > Whats in the PB folder under the BFV folder? Anything?
    >
    > L.
    >
    >

    There is no PB folder in the BFV game folder.
    For some reason, when the game starts to install,
    it thinks PB for BFV is already installed so it doesn't
    install a PB folder.

    Thanks for responding.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Mitch" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >
    > There is no PB folder in the BFV game folder.
    > For some reason, when the game starts to install,
    > it thinks PB for BFV is already installed so it doesn't
    > install a PB folder.
    >
    > Thanks for responding.

    If you want to email me LorianNod<at>gmail.com and I'll reply with a zipped
    up copy of the directory (3.5mb). Just unzip it under the vietnam directory,
    it should so the trick, the enable in the multiplayer server browser screen.

    Lorian.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Lorian wrote:
    > "Mitch" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>There is no PB folder in the BFV game folder.
    >>For some reason, when the game starts to install,
    >>it thinks PB for BFV is already installed so it doesn't
    >>install a PB folder.
    >>
    >>Thanks for responding.
    >
    >
    > If you want to email me LorianNod<at>gmail.com and I'll reply with a zipped
    > up copy of the directory (3.5mb). Just unzip it under the vietnam directory,
    > it should so the trick, the enable in the multiplayer server browser screen.
    >
    > Lorian.
    >

    I got the PB folder you posted, put in my game folder
    and it worked! Thank you very much! I appreciate your
    kindness.

    See you "In country".
    Mitch
Ask a new question

Read More

Performance Games Video Games