Registry Edit Gone Wrong?

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
So I was playing around with registry editors from cnet, trying them out and uninstalling them if I didn't like them. NOw it seems my internet connection doesn't work (and I suppose there could be more wrong too.) I restarted my router which didn't help, and my home network is fine (which is how I'm posting this from another computer.) I did a windows diagnostic and it said to connect an Ethernet cable, even though I use wireless. More importantly, it said it can't find windows wireless service, which makes me think it got deleted. I also tried reinstalling wireless connector's drivers from the cd, but that had no effect.

Now normally, I could just do a system restore or use those registry edit programs' backups. However, upon trying all of these I found that I don't have any backups, no system images, and there registry backups I tried had no effect. I put in the windows 7 installation disk to try a repair but it seems w/o backups, all it can do is startup repair. Is there anything else I can do short of reinstalling the OS? I admit I don't totally mind doing that, but I heard you have to call microsoft up for a new key and I don't really want to explain how I was an idiot messing around with windows components. Is there any way to get windows services/registry copy off the windows 7 installation disk w/o reinstallation of the OS? ... Any help?