$1150 Gaming/Video editing/hackintosh

termhn

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Today or Tomorrow

Budget Range: $1150

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Hackintosh, Video editing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Monitor, Speakers, OS (DO NEED MOUSE)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, I like the GTX 670, Not too flashy case

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future I'll get another 670

Monitor Resolution: 1024x768, 1680x1050, 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I'd like it quiet and clean looking

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's my current list of stuff:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27205688

Solution
No it requires 8x/8x. But it is also much better. The EA650w is just as quiet. No need to go with an $80 500w. That wouldn't allow you to go SLI either.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/antec-earthwatts-ea-650w-review-green-2011/4/
It's not even that loud.

Cheaper on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-EarthWatts-EA-650D-Green-BRONZE/dp/B004NBZAES%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1240995-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB004NBZAES

The Hyper 212+ isn't that loud either. It's bearable. It'd be much better if you're going to plan on Overclocking.

termhn

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Does it really require 8x/8x or is it just better? I thought it was just better, but I could be wrong. Also I had that cooler but I switched it for the current one based on noise level. Same goes for the PSU. I'm really going for quietness.

No it requires 8x/8x. But it is also much better. The EA650w is just as quiet. No need to go with an $80 500w. That wouldn't allow you to go SLI either.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/antec-earthwatts-ea-650w-review-green-2011/4/
It's not even that loud.

Cheaper on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-EarthWatts-EA-650D-Green-BRONZE/dp/B004NBZAES%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1240995-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB004NBZAES

The Hyper 212+ isn't that loud either. It's bearable. It'd be much better if you're going to plan on Overclocking.

Solution

termhn

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I'll take the PS but I think I'll stick with the SilenX cooler for now. I can always just spend $30 to get the 212 if I feel the need ;)

EDIT: How about the PSU I have on there now...

termhn

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
OK, so I got everything and put it together and it was working awesome until this afternoon. Before now I ran FurMark to make sure things were OK, and I didn't get any graphical glitches but I did get a really high-pitched beep from (I think) the graphics card (I disconnected the motherboard speaker and it still made the noise, so..). I kind of ignored it and thought it was normal since it was a stress test. I then downloaded and ran some intensive games (like ArmA II) and everything was fine. I didn't get any beeping until today. Today I overclocked it and everything was stable in FurMark (minus the beeping, no graphical glitches). It ran great in ArmA with no beeps until this afternoon when it started after about an hour to an hour and a half of constant gameplay. The only way to get it to go away was alt-tab out of the game or quit the game. So I backed off my overclock all the way back to stock, and it still started to beep without fail after only 2ish minutes of playing.

What I've tried to fix it:
-Back off all overclocking
-Unplug and replug PCI-e power connectors
-Turn fan speed on graphics card all the way up

The thing is that this happens in game even when temps are only in the low 70s which seems really normal considering that I was getting ~80-85 temps in game with only a slight overclock (which never failed even after several hours of nonstop play) before when I had the fan on a lower speed. It kind of seems to have a correlation to when GPU load gets to 98 percent or above it starts.

Any suggestions?

Would back off the overclock until you get your Hyper 212 Evo. The Stock cooler is decent but not ideal for even a slight overclock.

As for the GPU overclock or beeping. What kind of beeping is it? Like something that would see as though it came from the fan? Or... like an actual beep like a motherboard would make.

termhn

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
high-pitched screech that doesn't stop until you alt-tab out or something to the effect. I've backed off my overclock to none until I get the evo. I've narrowed it down to either the PSU or the card itself... gonna test voltages on PSU when my dad gets home later, wanna do it with a multimeter because software seems innaccurate from what I've read.