Themes not Being Saved

December 21, 2004 7:45:29 PM

I've been having problems with not being able to save themes. I was
wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I've been directed to
Kelleys-Korner-xo.com which I've found many fixes but none that worked for
this. I checked Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Themes. It's set to
Automatic
I checked Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Terminal Services/Log On. I
don't see Hardware Profile Original Configuration only Profile 1. But, it is
enabled

I have a feeling it has something to do with my updated Display Driver
but I uninstalled it and still couldn't save themes so I reinstalled it.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

More about : themes saved

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 10:24:51 PM

James,

What happens when you click "Save As" in the Themes page?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message news:uPOHhZ65EHA.4004@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
I've been having problems with not being able to save themes. I was
wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I've been directed to
Kelleys-Korner-xo.com which I've found many fixes but none that worked for
this. I checked Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Themes. It's set to
Automatic
I checked Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Terminal Services/Log On. I
don't see Hardware Profile Original Configuration only Profile 1. But, it is
enabled

I have a feeling it has something to do with my updated Display Driver
but I uninstalled it and still couldn't save themes so I reinstalled it.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James
December 22, 2004 10:24:52 PM

The "Save As" dialog comes up like it should. In the File name:
My Favorite Theme.Theme(it doesn't matter what name I give it).
Ok so far. When I click "Save" the "Save As" dialog closes but
the Theme name remains Modified Theme. And this part is weird.
Doing a subsequently search for the saved theme name I find it
in my Recent folder!? The name doesn't appear in the Theme
combobox, only Windows XP; more themes online...; and Browse...

Thanks,
James

[...]

December 22, 2004 11:37:55 PM

James,

After you save the custom theme and click OK, open Regedit and goto:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Plus!\Themes\Current

Is the (default) value updated?
Is the result same when you save the .Theme to My Documents folder?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message news:uphQFKD6EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
[...]

December 22, 2004 11:41:13 PM

Also here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23%23LN8fD6EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
[...]

December 22, 2004 11:41:14 PM

In both cases (value not set)

James

[...]

There's no value here.

[...]

December 23, 2004 12:04:10 AM

Don't know what is preventing Windows from saving the .Theme file. Perhaps Filemon (from www.sysinternals.com) would help. Set the filtering options in Filemon to "Log Write" only and see what happens.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message news:o YvafoD6EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
There's no value here.

James

Also here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org
December 23, 2004 12:04:11 AM

I'll do that.

Thanks much,
James

>> Doing a subsequently search for the saved theme name I find it in my
>> Recent folder!?

Don't know what is preventing Windows from saving the .Theme file. Perhaps
Filemon (from www.sysinternals.com) would help. Set the filtering options in
Filemon to "Log Write" only and see what happens.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
news:o YvafoD6EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
There's no value here.

James

Also here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org
December 23, 2004 12:04:11 AM

The only thing I notice or understand in the log is that it the theme is
created then deleted.

James

>> Doing a subsequently search for the saved theme name I find it in my
>> Recent folder!?

Don't know what is preventing Windows from saving the .Theme file. Perhaps
Filemon (from www.sysinternals.com) would help. Set the filtering options in
Filemon to "Log Write" only and see what happens.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
news:o YvafoD6EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
There's no value here.

James

Also here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 12:14:24 AM

You're welcome James. Let's know if you find anything interesting.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message news:o %23RevxD6EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
I'll do that.

Thanks much,
James

>> Doing a subsequently search for the saved theme name I find it in my
>> Recent folder!?

Don't know what is preventing Windows from saving the .Theme file. Perhaps
Filemon (from www.sysinternals.com) would help. Set the filtering options in
Filemon to "Log Write" only and see what happens.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
news:o YvafoD6EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
There's no value here.

James

Also here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org
December 23, 2004 12:14:25 AM

Ok. It's fixed...finally. I figured something was up when there wasn't but 3
choices in the
Theme's combobox. Other themes such as Windows Classic etc. were missing.
Anyway,
I downloaded a zip file from Kellys-Korner-xp.com that has the folders and
files to replace
the Resources folder. After replacing the Luna theme and it's folder under
Recourses my
themes are now being saved.
This was very frustrating for me and I believe all of you knew it if you
read my other posts.
But patience prevailed.

Thanks to all,
James

You're welcome James. Let's know if you find anything interesting.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
news:o %23RevxD6EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
I'll do that.

Thanks much,
James

>> Doing a subsequently search for the saved theme name I find it in my
>> Recent folder!?

Don't know what is preventing Windows from saving the .Theme file. Perhaps
Filemon (from www.sysinternals.com) would help. Set the filtering options in
Filemon to "Log Write" only and see what happens.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
news:o YvafoD6EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
There's no value here.

James

Also here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 1:44:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback James. 'Missing themes listing from the dropdown', would be a great clue here.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message news:uzY9gJE6EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Ok. It's fixed...finally. I figured something was up when there wasn't but 3
choices in the
Theme's combobox. Other themes such as Windows Classic etc. were missing.
Anyway,
I downloaded a zip file from Kellys-Korner-xp.com that has the folders and
files to replace
the Resources folder. After replacing the Luna theme and it's folder under
Recourses my
themes are now being saved.
This was very frustrating for me and I believe all of you knew it if you
read my other posts.
But patience prevailed.

Thanks to all,
James
July 8, 2011 2:46:01 AM

my solution:
- get the file "Windows Classic.theme" (3,025 bytes)
- and place it in the folder "C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes"
!