Themes not Being Saved

I've been having problems with not being able to save themes. I was
wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I've been directed to
Kelleys-Korner-xo.com which I've found many fixes but none that worked for
this. I checked Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Themes. It's set to
Automatic
I checked Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Terminal Services/Log On. I
don't see Hardware Profile Original Configuration only Profile 1. But, it is
enabled

I have a feeling it has something to do with my updated Display Driver
but I uninstalled it and still couldn't save themes so I reinstalled it.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James
13 answers Last reply
More about themes saved

    James,

    What happens when you click "Save As" in the Themes page?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message news:uPOHhZ65EHA.4004@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    I've been having problems with not being able to save themes. I was
    wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I've been directed to
    Kelleys-Korner-xo.com which I've found many fixes but none that worked for
    this. I checked Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Themes. It's set to
    Automatic
    I checked Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Terminal Services/Log On. I
    don't see Hardware Profile Original Configuration only Profile 1. But, it is
    enabled

    I have a feeling it has something to do with my updated Display Driver
    but I uninstalled it and still couldn't save themes so I reinstalled it.
    Any help will be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    James

    The "Save As" dialog comes up like it should. In the File name:
    My Favorite Theme.Theme(it doesn't matter what name I give it).
    Ok so far. When I click "Save" the "Save As" dialog closes but
    the Theme name remains Modified Theme. And this part is weird.
    Doing a subsequently search for the saved theme name I find it
    in my Recent folder!? The name doesn't appear in the Theme
    combobox, only Windows XP; more themes online...; and Browse...

    Thanks,
    James

[...]

    After you save the custom theme and click OK, open Regedit and goto:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Plus!\Themes\Current

    Is the (default) value updated?
    Is the result same when you save the .Theme to My Documents folder?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message news:uphQFKD6EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
[...]

    Also here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
    REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23%23LN8fD6EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
[...]

    In both cases (value not set)

    James

[...]

    There's no value here.

    Don't know what is preventing Windows from saving the .Theme file. Perhaps Filemon (from www.sysinternals.com) would help. Set the filtering options in Filemon to "Log Write" only and see what happens.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message news:OYvafoD6EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    There's no value here.

    James

    Also here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
    REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    I'll do that.

    Thanks much,
    James

    >> Doing a subsequently search for the saved theme name I find it in my
    >> Recent folder!?

    Don't know what is preventing Windows from saving the .Theme file. Perhaps
    Filemon (from www.sysinternals.com) would help. Set the filtering options in
    Filemon to "Log Write" only and see what happens.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
    There's no value here.

    James

    Also here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
    REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    The only thing I notice or understand in the log is that it the theme is
    created then deleted.

    James

    >> Doing a subsequently search for the saved theme name I find it in my
    >> Recent folder!?

    Don't know what is preventing Windows from saving the .Theme file. Perhaps
    Filemon (from www.sysinternals.com) would help. Set the filtering options in
    Filemon to "Log Write" only and see what happens.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
    There's no value here.

    James

    Also here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
    REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    You're welcome James. Let's know if you find anything interesting.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message news:O%23RevxD6EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    I'll do that.

    Thanks much,
    James

    >> Doing a subsequently search for the saved theme name I find it in my
    >> Recent folder!?

    Don't know what is preventing Windows from saving the .Theme file. Perhaps
    Filemon (from www.sysinternals.com) would help. Set the filtering options in
    Filemon to "Log Write" only and see what happens.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
    There's no value here.

    James

    Also here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
    REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Ok. It's fixed...finally. I figured something was up when there wasn't but 3
    choices in the
    Theme's combobox. Other themes such as Windows Classic etc. were missing.
    Anyway,
    I downloaded a zip file from Kellys-Korner-xp.com that has the folders and
    files to replace
    the Resources folder. After replacing the Luna theme and it's folder under
    Recourses my
    themes are now being saved.
    This was very frustrating for me and I believe all of you knew it if you
    read my other posts.
    But patience prevailed.

    Thanks to all,
    James

    You're welcome James. Let's know if you find anything interesting.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
    I'll do that.

    Thanks much,
    James

    >> Doing a subsequently search for the saved theme name I find it in my
    >> Recent folder!?

    Don't know what is preventing Windows from saving the .Theme file. Perhaps
    Filemon (from www.sysinternals.com) would help. Set the filtering options in
    Filemon to "Log Write" only and see what happens.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
    There's no value here.

    James

    Also here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\LastTheme
    REG_EXPAND_SZ named "ThemeFile"

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Thanks for the feedback James. 'Missing themes listing from the dropdown', would be a great clue here.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message news:uzY9gJE6EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    Ok. It's fixed...finally. I figured something was up when there wasn't but 3
    choices in the
    Theme's combobox. Other themes such as Windows Classic etc. were missing.
    Anyway,
    I downloaded a zip file from Kellys-Korner-xp.com that has the folders and
    files to replace
    the Resources folder. After replacing the Luna theme and it's folder under
    Recourses my
    themes are now being saved.
    This was very frustrating for me and I believe all of you knew it if you
    read my other posts.
    But patience prevailed.

    Thanks to all,
    James
  13. my solution:
    - get the file "Windows Classic.theme" (3,025 bytes)
    - and place it in the folder "C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes"

Configuration Customization Windows XP