Sign in with
Your question

What are 'HD' cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 11, 2012 7:27:30 AM

I see all new graphics cards described as 'HD' obviously High Definition. But what does that exactly do. I don't know of any games that have an HD settings. That wouldn't make sense anyway.

Can someone explain?

More about : cards

a c 376 U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 7:40:03 AM

It is just what AMD puts in front of their card numbers, just like Nvidia uses "GTX" at the moment. Neither of them have any actual meaning.
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 7:47:41 AM

zyzz said:
I see all new graphics cards described as 'HD' obviously High Definition. But what does that exactly do. I don't know of any games that have an HD settings. That wouldn't make sense anyway.

Can someone explain?

As the previous poster said, the HD before AMD's model numbers means nothing, not even "High Definition." Someone, somewhere, thought it would sound nicer with those two letters before the numerical model number. Once again, it means nothing, it is just two letters.
Related resources
March 11, 2012 8:12:41 AM

It may be in part to distinguish modern GPUs from older ones because there was already an ATI radeon series that has gotten up to 9 series in 2007 So the new HD radeon series is their successor.

Plus newer GPUs for the most part ARE in HD with HDMI and DVI outputs with Resolution like 1920x1080 or more.
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 9:06:30 AM

I always though it meant that the cards can play HD video directly from the GPU (i.e HDMI).
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 4:55:15 PM

Zero_ said:
I always though it meant that the cards can play HD video directly from the GPU (i.e HDMI).

Cards have been able to do that prior to the HD naming scheme.
March 11, 2012 6:49:35 PM

thank you for the information. I mean even if you plugged in an HD TV to your computer it still depends on the graphics of the game.
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 7:15:46 PM

Zero_ said:

Kind of yes. At launch the HD series of cards gave you HDMI + Audio + HDCP. So AMD used the HD suffix as they were marketing the full HD package directly from the GPU. The Geforce 8 series of the time could not do this.

Mactronix :) 
March 12, 2012 5:59:15 AM

Newer games are also HD o-o
!