Sign in with
Your question

Computer temps high

Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2012 1:20:44 AM

Hello, I had built my computer a while ago and noticed months later that the temps were to high, so I bought a new computer case and also a new watercooling pre-built (Corsair H100) and Installed it all, but checked the temps again and saw that the idle temps were 40-55c and load or while gaming was in 50-60c, these temps are too high, and I don't know why it is like this, If someone could please help me here on why it is like this, one possible thing might be thermal paste, because when I was installing the Corsair H100 pump I thought the screws were a perfect fit, but the manual listed the wrong screws for my motherboard socket, thus the screws were too short and I tried to fit the pump on-top of my CPU but didn't notice the screws so the thermal paste came onto the CPU but the screws were not aligned so I had to take out the screws from the back-plate and install the other screws that came with the cooler, This took about 10-20 Min and the thermal paste must have dried that could be why I am receiving these temps, or it could be something else, also if it helps my radiator fans are doing an exhaust air flow, If you could please respond and help me it would be much appreciated, Thank you and Goodbye

Specifications
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz, Lynnfield 45nm technology
RAM: 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Mobo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D-E PRO (LGA1156)
Video Card: GeForce GTX 260 (EVGA)
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
CPU heatsink/cooler: Corsair H100 Water-Cooling System.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More about : computer temps high

May 14, 2012 3:30:26 AM

You should really try and replace the thermal paste if you think its bad, I would suggest Arctic Silver. It $12, and 20 minutes, just do it. I would also suggest buying a couple more good fans and research air flow. Try and make it a system with either a strong negative atmosphere (so more air is going out then coming in), or a strong positive atmosphere (more air is going in then coming out). They both have their ups and downs; for instance: a negative atmosphere keeps it cooler, but gets dirtier. A positive atmosphere stays cleaner, but doesn't stay as cool.

Of course, check the main things too:
-all fans plugged in
-fans pointing correct direction
-not too dirty
May 14, 2012 8:19:08 PM

fujifame said:
You should really try and replace the thermal paste if you think its bad, I would suggest Arctic Silver. It $12, and 20 minutes, just do it. I would also suggest buying a couple more good fans and research air flow. Try and make it a system with either a strong negative atmosphere (so more air is going out then coming in), or a strong positive atmosphere (more air is going in then coming out). They both have their ups and downs; for instance: a negative atmosphere keeps it cooler, but gets dirtier. A positive atmosphere stays cleaner, but doesn't stay as cool.

Of course, check the main things too:
-all fans plugged in
-fans pointing correct direction
-not too dirty

I just changed the case so it is not as all dirty, I remember connecting all the fans so all the fans are plugged in and I am sure the fans are pointing in the correct direction, I am going to go ahead and order that thermal paste, that seems like what is causing it. and I have most of my fans coming out (negative atmosphere), Thanks for the response.
May 24, 2012 1:43:10 AM

I actually installed arctic silver 5 thermal paste yesterday on my CPU and the temps idle went down to 33c, and I heard there is a break-in period and I asked some of my friends about it and they told me that I need to play a graphic-intense game like Battlefield 3, or Crysis 2 on the highest settings so I am doing so and I am thinking that the temps will go lower than what it is at now.
!