Is my Xbox dieing?

I use my Xbox mainly as a DVD player. I occasionally play games, but it is
used for DVD several hours per day.

I have begun to notice quite a bit of pixilation lately, and freezing.
Sometimes, the box wont even read the disc. I am just wondering if this is
the beginning of the end of my Xbox.

What can/should I do?

In news:xsmdnfien_oEX37fRVn-hQ@wideopenwest.com,
Joel Britt <joelbritt@wowway.com> pop a head above the parapet and announced
forth:
|| I use my Xbox mainly as a DVD player. I occasionally play games, but it
is
|| used for DVD several hours per day.
|| I have begun to notice quite a bit of pixilation lately, and freezing.
|| Sometimes, the box wont even read the disc. I am just wondering if this
is
|| the beginning of the end of my Xbox.
|| What can/should I do?

Clean the DVD lens?

Joel Britt wrote:
> I use my Xbox mainly as a DVD player. I occasionally play games, but it is
> used for DVD several hours per day.
>
> I have begun to notice quite a bit of pixilation lately, and freezing.
> Sometimes, the box wont even read the disc. I am just wondering if this is
> the beginning of the end of my Xbox.
>
> What can/should I do?

artnada gave some sensible advice, in that it's easy to do. I will
comment, however, that even my brand spanking new xbox was never a great
DVD player. It would often burp or pixelate where a standalone unit
(or my PC) would have no difficulties. I have also noticed this poor
performance on several other xboxes of various ages and conditions.

jlc

"Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
> Joel Britt wrote:
>> I use my Xbox mainly as a DVD player. I occasionally play games, but it
>> is used for DVD several hours per day.
>>
>> I have begun to notice quite a bit of pixilation lately, and freezing.
>> Sometimes, the box wont even read the disc. I am just wondering if this
>> is the beginning of the end of my Xbox.
>>
>> What can/should I do?
>
> artnada gave some sensible advice, in that it's easy to do. I will
> comment, however, that even my brand spanking new xbox was never a great
> DVD player. It would often burp or pixelate where a standalone unit (or
> my PC) would have no difficulties. I have also noticed this poor
> performance on several other xboxes of various ages and conditions.

Just the opposite for me. My Xbox has the Phillips drive in it and it plays
movies better then my Panasonic DVD player. It also plays my back up DVD +R
disc's great as well (something my Panasonic will not do). I've never had
one problem with playback after watching over 100 movies on it. JLC

^^artnada^^ wrote:
> In news:xsmdnfien_oEX37fRVn-hQ@wideopenwest.com,
> Joel Britt <joelbritt@wowway.com> pop a head above the parapet and announced
> forth:
> || I use my Xbox mainly as a DVD player. I occasionally play games, but it
> is
> || used for DVD several hours per day.
> || I have begun to notice quite a bit of pixilation lately, and freezing.
> || Sometimes, the box wont even read the disc. I am just wondering if this
> is
> || the beginning of the end of my Xbox.
> || What can/should I do?
>
> Clean the DVD lens?

Fix your newsreader?

In news:S66Fe.323$aT1.302@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com,
babanoosh <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> pop a head above the parapet and
announced forth:
|| ^^artnada^^ wrote:
||| In news:xsmdnfien_oEX37fRVn-hQ@wideopenwest.com,
||| Joel Britt <joelbritt@wowway.com> pop a head above the parapet and
announced
||| forth:
||| Clean the DVD lens?
|| Fix your newsreader?

Why?

^^artnada^^ wrote:
> In news:S66Fe.323$aT1.302@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com,
> babanoosh <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> pop a head above the parapet and
> announced forth:
> announced
> it is
> this is
> || Fix your newsreader?
>
> Why?

Your quotes are coming off FUBAR (i.e. ||||||||| instead of >>>>>>>>).

In news:ej6Fe.325$aT1.317@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com,
babanoosh <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> pop a head above the parapet and
announced forth:
|| ^^artnada^^ wrote:
||| In news:S66Fe.323$aT1.302@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com,
||| babanoosh <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> pop a head above the parapet and
||| announced forth:
||| Why?
|| Your quotes are coming off FUBAR (i.e. ||||||||| instead of >>>>>>>>).

No they are not fubar! That is because I have it set as |||||| and not

You can clearly see the different posts/responses.

Sorry if it offends you that people do not comply to your own personal
standards. :rollseyes:

JLC wrote:
> "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
>
>>Joel Britt wrote:
>>
>>>I use my Xbox mainly as a DVD player. I occasionally play games, but it
>>>is used for DVD several hours per day.
>>>
>>>I have begun to notice quite a bit of pixilation lately, and freezing.
>>>Sometimes, the box wont even read the disc. I am just wondering if this
>>>is the beginning of the end of my Xbox.
>>>
>>>What can/should I do?
>>
>>artnada gave some sensible advice, in that it's easy to do. I will
>>comment, however, that even my brand spanking new xbox was never a great
>>DVD player. It would often burp or pixelate where a standalone unit (or
>>my PC) would have no difficulties. I have also noticed this poor
>>performance on several other xboxes of various ages and conditions.
>

> Just the opposite for me. My Xbox has the Phillips drive in it and it plays
> movies better then my Panasonic DVD player. It also plays my back up DVD +R
> disc's great as well (something my Panasonic will not do). I've never had
> one problem with playback after watching over 100 movies on it. JLC

My PS2 is my main DVD player, I have the 3.02U DVD update and it is 480p
capable. With DNR set to 2 and outline sharpening set to 0 everything
looks fantastic. Much better quality than my Xbox, although my Xbox does
have the zoom feature, which is nice when watching porn.

Velocity Girl wrote:
> JLC wrote:
>
>> "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message

>>> artnada gave some sensible advice, in that it's easy to do. I will
>>> comment, however, that even my brand spanking new xbox was never a
>>> great DVD player. It would often burp or pixelate where a standalone
>>> unit (or my PC) would have no difficulties. I have also noticed this
>>> poor performance on several other xboxes of various ages and conditions.
>>

>> Just the opposite for me. My Xbox has the Phillips drive in it and it
>> plays movies better then my Panasonic DVD player. It also plays my
>> back up DVD +R disc's great as well (something my Panasonic will not
>> do). I've never had one problem with playback after watching over 100
>> movies on it. JLC
>>

> My PS2 is my main DVD player, I have the 3.02U DVD update and it is 480p
> capable. With DNR set to 2 and outline sharpening set to 0 everything
> looks fantastic. Much better quality than my Xbox, although my Xbox does
> have the zoom feature, which is nice when watching porn.
Xbox also does 480p with a simple hex edit. Also does upsampling to 720p
and 1080i with xbmc. I've never had a problem with mine, even with
playing PAL DVDs on an NTSC tele. Thompson Drive, 1.0 xbox, bought on
the day they went on sale, still alive and kicking :)

^^artnada^^ wrote:

> No they are not fubar! That is because I have it set as |||||| and not
>
> You can clearly see the different posts/responses.
>
> Sorry if it offends you that people do not comply to your own personal
> standards. :rollseyes:

Funny, OEQuotefix changes your | to > when I read your messages.