Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Interested in SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 11, 2012 11:36:31 AM

I'm sure posts like this are out there but I'd like some personal responses. I'm interested in SLI and I'm looking into my cooling situation. Here are my hardware specs:

Intel i5-2500K @ 4.3 GHz
Hyper 212Plus CPU Cooler
Geforce GTX 560Ti 1GB
8GB G.Skill Ripjaw RAM
Antec HCG750 PSU

I'm covered on wattage, correct? Here are my heats at IDLE and LOAD:

IDLE
(Simply on desktop with no excess processes running)
CPU - consistently around 45 deg C
GPU - consistently around 35 deg C

LOAD(Battlefield 3, high preset settings, 1920x1080 res)
CPU - consistently around 55 deg C
GPU - leveled off at 75 deg C and fluctuated within a degree or two based on amount of effects on screen

Now I understand these temperatures are average, or below average even, but I am worried that adding another card may raise the temperature in the case quite a bit. Having no experience with SLI myself, I'd love it if someone could give me some input on this subject. If I do need to worry about cooling, what's the best solution? For the record, I'd be adding another 560Ti.

Other than wattage and temperatures are there any other obstacles I should be aware of before biting the bullet and ordering another 560Ti?

Thanks!

More about : interested sli

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 12:10:54 PM

Your wattage is OK but not generous for a 2 X GTX 560 ti.

Your temperatures are high.

45 C is high for the 2500K at idle and the GTX 560 ti.

Load temps depend on the games yuou are playing. But I would also consider the temps to be high.What case are you using? It might be a good idea to get a better case.

m
l
March 11, 2012 12:18:46 PM

chesteracorgi said:
Your wattage is OK but not generous for a 2 X GTX 560 ti.

Your temperatures are high.

45 C is high for the 2500K at idle and the GTX 560 ti.

Load temps depend on the games yuou are playing. But I would also consider the temps to be high.What case are you using? It might be a good idea to get a better case.

Antec 300 Illusion, but it hasn't been dusted out in a few months so that could be creating a bit of a lack of airflow.

I'm not too worried about idle temp, as long as it's in the safe area.
m
l
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 12:22:36 PM

Seems fine, make sure your motherboard supports SLI too. It's good actually.

You're going to find heat still, there is a possibility that your second card is going to be more than 80C. What you can do is just put one side fan, or higher the fan speed.

Good Luck :) .
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 12:28:12 PM

I'd be a little worried about the CPU's temperature under load with another Ti in the case. I take it it's on stock cooling. If so, drop a little cash on a third-party heatsink ($35 Hyper 212 EVO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). If not, you need to reseat the sink.

The PSU is good, but there are many 750W units out there that wouldn't be. Wattage is not the important factor.

What's your current fan setup?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 12:41:27 PM

I still think that your temps are high: my 2500K (OC'd to 4.0 GHz idles @ 28 C and my 2 X GTX 470s idles @ 32 C). The Antec 300 Illusion is OK but not a well ventillated case for SLI. With a second GTX 560 ti I expect that your temps on the GPUs will run 47 C and you will also see an increase in the CPU temp because of the heat exhaust from the GPUs.

m
l
March 11, 2012 12:42:06 PM

kajabla said:
I'd be a little worried about the CPU's temperature under load with another Ti in the case. I take it it's on stock cooling. If so, drop a little cash on a third-party heatsink ($35 Hyper 212 EVO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). If not, you need to reseat the sink.

The PSU is good, but there are many 750W units out there that wouldn't be. Wattage is not the important factor.

What's your current fan setup?

I noted in my OP that I actually have a Hyper 212 :p  My case is the Antec 300 Illusion... it's a basic case that has a fan on the top and two on the front, so I think it has decent airflow. But again, it's a relatively cheap case so I'm sure I could find a nicer one if necessary. But on top of that, I have the Hyper 212 cooling the CPU. The case fans are all set to medium speed at the moment and could be knocked up to high if it would help.

Thanks to all of you for the quick replies, this is very helpful.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 2:08:56 PM

Totally missed that! It should really be cooler, especially at idle. How did your TC technique compare to this? http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...]

The 300's plenty good cooling-wise. Your temps are mysterious. What's the model of your current Ti? Can you try high fans and see if they're too loud? (I'm afraid they will be, but that might have been my friend's GPU).
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 3:46:30 PM

Check my signature. Temps on cards 75-78c under load, CPU idle is around 44, gets up to around 60 under load. Never had any issues at all, will run all day without a hiccup, and been doing it for over a year. I think sometimes we react harshly to a little bit of heat. Add another card and enjoy. You may want to add another case fan just in case for really warm days, but honestly you are fine.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 4:06:29 PM

My Suggestion, if your looking for more performance, and temps is a issue. Your gonna want a 1 card setup. Either a GTX 580, which is starting at 339 now:) , or when kepler comes around in about 2 weeks, and mid range kepler card is gonna be baller.

Now can you do SLI with the system you have?, Yes, i just think a better case with better air flow may also be a worth while investment.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 5:33:57 PM

^you're out of date, rock. The 7950's better and cheaper than the 580. It's still worth waiting to see what Kepler's like, but AMD's got the top of the line ATM.
m
l
March 21, 2012 3:13:13 AM

Best answer selected by mgrove91.
m
l
!