Your question

Problem Regarding RAM combination...

Tags:
  • DDR3
  • RAM
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 31, 2012 2:07:22 PM

I have Digilite G41MXE-IB motherboard, it has 2 dual ddr3 channels (slots for RAM)..
In 1 slot, i currently have Zion 1 GB DDR3 Ram (1333 Mhz)...
I want to expand the RAM and thinking to buy Corsair or G.Skill Ram (2GB DDR3 , 1333Mhz)
I want to know whether if i put both of them together, would it work or not ???
Note : The Ram is of 240-pin Configuration ....
Plz help..

Additional Details
My Friend said that i'll face a performance drop if i put 2 different RAMs of different Latency and clock speed ... is it so??
I don't wanna regret after buying... Also please if you have any suggestions for RAM that can afford GTA IV and pes 2012 graphics.. plz let me know guys...
seeking help..

More about : problem ram combination

August 31, 2012 2:09:49 PM

You can, if it's the same timings and voltage of the stick you have now.

However, since they aren't the same size dimms, they won't run in dual channel mode, they will only run in single channel mode which will hurt performance a bit.

Your better off buying a 2x2GB matching dual channel kit.

Tell me what it says on the sticker on your current dimm. I need the voltage (example: 1.65v) and the timings (example: 9-9-9-24)
m
l
August 31, 2012 2:28:29 PM

ram is dirt cheap right now, and you would probably be better off simply purchasing a 2x2GB or 2x4GB kit to throw in your system. also 1600 ram is generally within $1 and when on sale it is even cheaper than 1333, so you may want to look into that.

But to answer your question:
Yes, it SHOULD work just fine provided that the voltage of the ram is the same (most are at 1.5V, but some are at 1.6V and others run at 1.3V).

If the timing or speed of the 2 ram sticks are different then UEFI will simply force both to run at the speed of the slowest stick of ram.

Different UEFI/BIOS handle duel DDR differently:
1) Some will automatically disable duel DDR if the ram sticks are of different sizes, in which case all ram would run at the same speed you currently have, but because you will have more ram it will prevent you from running into virtual memory (using the HDD as Ram) which will make things move quicker, and most definitely worth doing.
2) Other systems will go ahead and run duel DDR for as much ram as it can. As an example, if you have a 1GB stick and a 2GB stick then the 1GB stick and the 1st GB of the 2GB stick will run in duel DDR, while the 2nd GB of the 2GB stick has nothing to pair with and will run like normal. Duel DDR will give you a nice 20-30% performance increase over single channel memory, so it is rather nice to have, but not having it will not be a 'fatal mistake' or mess anything up.

Hope that helps!
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2012 9:23:34 AM

geekapproved said:
You can, if it's the same timings and voltage of the stick you have now.

However, since they aren't the same size dimms, they won't run in dual channel mode, they will only run in single channel mode which will hurt performance a bit.

Your better off buying a 2x2GB matching dual channel kit.

Tell me what it says on the sticker on your current dimm. I need the voltage (example: 1.65v) and the timings (example: 9-9-9-24)

i don't know the timings of the zion ram..
However, that of the ram i am about to buy (G.Skill) Has the same latency/timing (9-9-9-24-2N) and the voltage is 1.5 volt
m
l
November 27, 2012 1:58:16 AM

having some graphics and blue dump page prob with my digilite mxe motherboard , while running a simple game like motogp ,
my config is 2gb ram , 1gb geforce gt220 , core 2 duo processor .............
i find that my bios is of 2008 ,
is it the prob of bios or ram ?
m
l
November 27, 2012 3:14:35 AM

debabrata,
please make your own thread. Things get too confusing trying to address multiple issues within the same post.
m
l
!