Sign in with
Your question

Sound stoped working on xw6400 after installing two of Radeon HD6450

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 11, 2012 12:22:29 PM

Hello,

I have recently installed two of the Radeon HD6450 into my HP xw6450 workstation running Windows 7 64bit with 8GB of RAM. 2 dual core CPUs.

Default Windows 7 driver for GPUs would be dated 4/19/2011 version 8.850.0.0.
CD that came with Radeon HD6450 would upgrade driver to 11/920.0,
And latest AMD website upgrade it to 2/14/2012 8.950.0.0.

Originally when i was trying to install software/drivers from CD as well the one from AMD website, it would blue-screen during installation. Then I got it to install cleanly by installing subsystems one at a time:
(12-2_vista_win7_32-64_xcode, then 12-2_vista_win7_32-64_hydravision, then AMD_Catalyst_12.2_CAP1 and then finally i put on top what was already installed the 12-2_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc -which is the whole package.

My Sound does not work now and it shows with red x next to the clock.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling GPUs Drivers and apps. No more blues screening, but audio would not work. To test that nothing physically got broken with my sound, i revert to original GPUs and then sound forks fine.

Also, after two of Radeon HD6450 has been installed my sound drivers changed from High Definition Audio Device to AMD High Definition Device. I can roll back the drivers but in any way wit will not work.

Other than that the two Radeon HD6450 works really well, I just need my sound!!

Please throw any ideas as I have tried several things whole day yesterday and I cannot get that to work.

I have dxdiag file and msinfo files, can I upload them to this post/thread so someone can take a look at them, if so, how do I do it?

I have opened the ticket with Sapphire and the attached two files are there. Please follow the link for the dxdiag and imsinfo:
https://support.sapphiretech.com/presentation/tickets/t...
SAPPHIRE FleX HD 6450 1GB DDR3

Thanks again.
March 11, 2012 1:16:11 PM

Make sure your onboard sound is enabled instead of the built in AMD sound chip on the cards. You should be able to do that in device manager.
m
l
March 11, 2012 6:56:44 PM

Hello rolli59,

I have now two Sound Controllers in Device Manager. I used to have one. if one comes from GPU, then i guess i should have three Sound Controllers, since i have two GPUs installed plus Onboard Sound. I have tried disabling one then the other one, cannot get the sound to work either way. Simply removing the two Redeon HD6450 GPUs and inserting the ones i used before, sound right away works fine and only one Sound Controller show up in Device Manager.

Thank you very much foe your post. Please let me know of any other suggestion you may have.
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2012 7:01:51 PM

Did you try uninstalling the AMD driver to prevent conflicts.
m
l
March 11, 2012 7:54:39 PM

YES, i have tried three different drivers, the windows 7 drivers, the CD drivers and latest ones AMD from their website. In any case, sound will not work. If remove those cards, then sound works. Looks like there is some conflict, or Redeon takes over, not sure, do not see any conflicts in Dvice Manager, sound is enabled but will not work.

m
l
March 11, 2012 8:12:33 PM

So if you hit stat and search for sound, then select sound(has a little speaker). What is your default sound device for playback? I have only seen the red X when the card is disabled or unplugged.

Does the bios have an option for sound? Sometimes they disable the onboard when they see another sound card(maybe even the video cards sound card?)

I always just disable the ATI HDMI Output.
m
l
March 11, 2012 8:28:50 PM

Depend on which driver i have installed. If the latest ones are installed. The Device Manager would show two “AMD High Definition Audio Device” and Sound for Playback would also show two “AMD High Definition Audio Device”
If I rolled back to previous drivers, then Device Manager will show two “High Definition Audio Device” and Sound for Playback will show two “High Definition Audio Device”
If I disable both of those drivers, then Sound shows nothing. It looks like I see only sound from Graphic cards, because if the latest drivers are installed, I have output set as HDMI which is only available on GPUs.
There must be some kind of conflict that prevents the onboard sound. I think the two sound devices that I see in Device Manager are the ones from GPUs.
m
l
March 11, 2012 8:45:37 PM

My Onboard Sound in BIOS got automatically disabled when the two Radeon got installed. I went to BIOS changed the Onboard Sound from Disabled to Enabled, then instead F10 for save I hit ESC which did not save the change and with that in mind I was blindly fooling with windows drivers and Device Manager settings. Thanks to you I went back to BIOS and noticed that my Onboard Sound is still DISABLED. I have changed it back to ENABLED, ESC then back and I noticed that it doesn’t keep the change. I need to hit F10 right after change. Mistake on my end. Once verified that the change in BIOS is permanent, Windows took care of everything else and my sound started to work.

I am very new to forums and posts like this. I am so glad that I have tried that. Thank you all very much for taking the time to throw the ideas and keep me on right tracks.
It is working, I am so happy!!!!! Thanks again.

---Peter.
m
l
March 11, 2012 8:59:13 PM

Glad it worked out! Now that I see that both devices listed in d.manager were AMD BIOS disabling it was kind a obvious!
m
l
March 11, 2012 10:52:21 PM

What board is that, just in case someone else has this issue in the future.

Glad you got it all sorted.
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:22:32 AM

It is a HP xw6400 workstation. Not sure what kind of motherboard it is. kind of funny though, my BIOS got automatically disabled when two Radeon HD6450 were installed, then if you remove the two Radeon and go with my previous GPUs, the BIOS get automatically enabled. I have never seen that, but what do I know??

Thank you all.
m
l
March 15, 2012 12:36:07 AM

If the old cards lack an onboard sound card(or did not identify as a sound card until the drivers got to them), it will not disable the onboard. With the new cards having hd audio codecs, the board may be set to auto detect and disable.

This would be desired if a user installs a sound card, but since it does not know that the video card sound will not be used, it still disables the onboard sound.

All it can see is that you have an add on sound card(and not that it is a part of the video card).

You(and me) learn something new every day :) 
m
l
March 15, 2012 1:46:52 PM

Looks that way, and now that i understand, i would have to say it all make sense (in regards disabling and enabling onboard sound)

Anyway, i am happy with the new GPUs, the really work nice, i only wish i would go with larger LCDs. I had three 23" before with old GPUs and now i replaced it with 6 20" (due to limitation on the stand i purchased) and i am still adjusting to smaller space :-(

I have to say, that this Tom's Hardware site is awesome. I had two questions, that i have asked here (different threads) and i got it solved thanks to people here on these forums.

Thank again and will be posting more questions :-)
m
l
August 20, 2012 5:54:09 AM

mallaki said:
My Onboard Sound in BIOS got automatically disabled when the two Radeon got installed. I went to BIOS changed the Onboard Sound from Disabled to Enabled, then instead F10 for save I hit ESC which did not save the change and with that in mind I was blindly fooling with windows drivers and Device Manager settings. Thanks to you I went back to BIOS and noticed that my Onboard Sound is still DISABLED. I have changed it back to ENABLED, ESC then back and I noticed that it doesn’t keep the change. I need to hit F10 right after change. Mistake on my end. Once verified that the change in BIOS is permanent, Windows took care of everything else and my sound started to work.

I am very new to forums and posts like this. I am so glad that I have tried that. Thank you all very much for taking the time to throw the ideas and keep me on right tracks.
It is working, I am so happy!!!!! Thanks again.

---Peter.

Thanks you my friend it works fine. you are great.

aLI. :bounce: 
m
l
!