Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building My First Machine

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
May 14, 2012 3:10:50 AM

I am building my first machine. I need help deciding what MoBo and graphics card (if any, since MoBo has one) to buy, and also look over the other components to see if they match up well.

I am getting

Case+PS=RAIDMAX Altas ATX-295WBP with 500W Power Supply
Memory= 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw Series (4x4GB) 240 Pin DDR3 SDRAM PC3 8500
CPU= Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz Quad Core
Operating System=Windows 7 Home Premium
Cooling=Corsair H80 Liquid Cooling
Hard Drive= Corsair Force Series 3 2.5" 60GB SATA III SSD
2nd Hard Drive= WD 160GB 3.5" (Already Own)

MoBo=????? (Must have SATA III and USB 3.0 and must be ATX Board)
Graphics Card=?????

I plan on doing some gaming with C.O.D. MW3, and maybe Battfield.

I do not planning on going super high def or $700 monitors, however dual monitors is a must and triple would be nice.

Any suggestions?

The entire rig is going to cost about $750-$800 as it sits

More about : building machine

a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2012 9:26:54 AM

I've heard that Raidmax makes bad quality PSU's. I won't get that one if I were you. Here is what I would do.
Cooler Master Haf 912 (50)
xfx pro 550w (85)
i5 2500k (220)
Win 7 HP (100)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (35)
Crucial M4 60 GB (80)

Right now the build is at 570. To choose the MoBo and GPU, you have to tell me your budget.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2012 9:36:47 AM

check my sig.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 14, 2012 2:40:53 PM

l0v3rboi said:
I've heard that Raidmax makes bad quality PSU's. I won't get that one if I were you. Here is what I would do.
Cooler Master Haf 912 (50)
xfx pro 550w (85)
i5 2500k (220)
Win 7 HP (100)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (35)
Crucial M4 60 GB (80)

Right now the build is at 570. To choose the MoBo and GPU, you have to tell me your budget.


My total budget is around $800, without the MoBo and GPU, as the list stands, it is at $614
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 2:59:36 PM

im sorry to be the one to point this out, but if you are only willing to spend 700 on the machine... you'll need to lower your standards just a lil
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 3:12:36 PM

Save ~$50 and get 2x4GB RAM, 8 is more than enough. If you are NOT going to overclock your CPU get the i5-2400. I would try to get an AMD HD 7850 gpu, how to fit that in, is hard but possible, but you can get one for $220. The next option I think would be gtx 560 ti, cheapest is $180, but can only do dual monitors. I wouldnt go any lower than that. Next to make that fit in the budget if needed lower the CPU and forget the watercooling. Last, decent MBs...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 3:39:33 PM

badtaylorx said:
im sorry to be the one to point this out, but if you are only willing to spend 700 on the machine... you'll need to lower your standards just a lil


I love a little bit of challenge! I am in no hurry to get it done, I am spending a lot of time researching, questioning, and shopping for deals.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2012 3:54:05 PM

Good Luck then... a I5 2500K can be gotten for 200 avg some placed for 189..
decent Z68 board is 150 or 170. Z77 is over 200 at most
and thats already 400$

Once you get a good graphics card... Thats another 400$. Check Zero's signature..
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 3:57:06 PM

So the revised version is:


Case=IN WIN MANA134 ATX
RAM= G. SKILL Ripjaw Series (2x4GB)
MoBo= ASROCK PRO3 Gen 3
CPU= Intel Core i5 2500k (Might want to get into overclocking at some point)
HD 1= Corsair Force Series 60GB SSD (I don't need 500GB of space, so why spend the same amount on a drive that is slower)
HD 2= WD 160GB HD
Power Supply= CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W PS

Do I need a graphics card, yet? Will it run COD without one? I plan on toying with overclocking later, but I am going to install a few upgrades first: watercooling, Power Supply, Fans, GPU.

Also, can I run a monitor off the DVI and one off the HDMI, or VGA?

Any other suggestions? The price is currently @ $654.00.
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 4:03:56 PM

Rockdpm said:
Good Luck then... a I5 2500K can be gotten for 200 avg some placed for 189..
decent Z68 board is 150 or 170. Z77 is over 200 at most
and thats already 400$

Once you get a good graphics card... Thats another 400$. Check Zero's signature..


I'm not looking for a unstoppable gaming machine, and I don't want to insult you guys by not heeding to your advice, I really do appreciate it! My goal is to be able to play C.O.D. on a computer because for the price of me buying an Xbox and T.V., I can have a computer. I am also wanting to learn how to build one, even though I have done some playing around in the field before. I have always been a Dell guy but they do not have a computer on the market that I want, so it was time to start this "little" project.

BTW, HOLY CRAP!!! $400 for a GPU, can't I get one for like $80, whats the difference, in reference to what I want to do with it?
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 4:55:12 PM

fujifame said:
I'm not looking for a unstoppable gaming machine, and I don't want to insult you guys by not heeding to your advice, I really do appreciate it! My goal is to be able to play C.O.D. on a computer because for the price of me buying an Xbox and T.V., I can have a computer. I am also wanting to learn how to build one, even though I have done some playing around in the field before. I have always been a Dell guy but they do not have a computer on the market that I want, so it was time to start this "little" project.

BTW, HOLY CRAP!!! $400 for a GPU, can't I get one for like $80, whats the difference, in reference to what I want to do with it?

Dell does a decent job for putting together a computer, but any business is going to use the cheapest parts and charge a premium for putting their name on the box. Not to mention overcharging like Apple for upgrades.

Your last list looks good. You will need a GPU to run COD well - and generally, the more expensive the video card, the smoother games will run at their highest settings. A $115 HD 7750 will blow away an Xbox 360, but if you're playing at 1080p, you'll probably want more muscle. The $140 HD 6850 is a good bit better, and you can run most games relatively smoothly on high.
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 6:34:13 PM

Your new current build is looking good!

I would suggest getting a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for $30 as an aftermarket heat sink for overclocking your CPU. It does a great job cooling an overclocked i5.
Then grab an AMD HD 6850 and that will put you at like $5 over, yet you are getting a REALLY good mid range GPU for nothing now a days. Or if you can squeeze in an HD 6870, even better, or nVidia GTX 560 Ti for even best.
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 6:50:06 PM

Delirious788 said:
Your new current build is looking good!

I would suggest getting a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for $30 as an aftermarket heat sink for overclocking your CPU. It does a great job cooling an overclocked i5.
Then grab an AMD HD 6850 and that will put you at like $5 over, yet you are getting a REALLY good mid range GPU for nothing now a days. Or if you can squeeze in an HD 6870, even better, or nVidia GTX 560 Ti for even best.

+1

Couldn't agree more - forget water-cooling, the Hyper 212 does very well at overclocking. And the extra $50 for a GTX 560ti is money well-spent. Stretching your budget to $850 would be worth your while because the GPU is the most important component for gaming.
m
0
l
!