Status
Not open for further replies.

rahiarain

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
What is Core Clock on a graphic card?
I am looking for a graphic card to upgrade to, Ati 6790 1GB DDR 5 got 840mhz core clock( bit rate 256bits ) and nividia 550ti got 920mhz ( bit rate 192 bits ) which one is better? i am upgrading for gaming purpose. PLZ HELP

Solution
Core clock is the speed at which the gpu performs its tasks, overclocking gpu core usually increases fps and overall performance of a card. How ever you dont only look at the core clocks to see which card is better since its the architecture of the card which matters. Its like buying a pentium 4 3.06ghz over a 2.26 ghz I7 cause it has a higher clock. It doesnt work that way, you need to review both cards, check benchmarks etc to see which card is better.

I use this site to see which card performs better ----->>http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

According to the site the 6790 out performes the 550 ti so that would be an ideal choice.

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Core clock is the speed at which the gpu performs its tasks, overclocking gpu core usually increases fps and overall performance of a card. How ever you dont only look at the core clocks to see which card is better since its the architecture of the card which matters. Its like buying a pentium 4 3.06ghz over a 2.26 ghz I7 cause it has a higher clock. It doesnt work that way, you need to review both cards, check benchmarks etc to see which card is better.

I use this site to see which card performs better ----->>http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

According to the site the 6790 out performes the 550 ti so that would be an ideal choice.

Solution

sunnk

Distinguished
the hd 6790 is better then gtx 550ti in some cases so you should go with hd 6790.:)

edit:- they both are on pair now.

core clock:- The actual speed at which the graphics processor on a video card operates. Core clock is measured in megahertz (MHz). The core clock speed can sometimes be changed on newer cards where users want to gain a performance boost. This is called overclocking and it can usually be done using third-party utilities or the drivers provided by the video card manufacturer.

rahiarain

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

They both are on pair now?

rahiarain

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks a bunch, for the site too. looks pretty useful

Status
Not open for further replies.