Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Core Clock?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 11, 2012 12:56:09 PM

What is Core Clock on a graphic card?
I am looking for a graphic card to upgrade to, Ati 6790 1GB DDR 5 got 840mhz core clock( bit rate 256bits ) and nividia 550ti got 920mhz ( bit rate 192 bits ) which one is better? i am upgrading for gaming purpose. PLZ HELP

More about : core clock

Best solution

March 11, 2012 1:03:05 PM

Core clock is the speed at which the gpu performs its tasks, overclocking gpu core usually increases fps and overall performance of a card. How ever you dont only look at the core clocks to see which card is better since its the architecture of the card which matters. Its like buying a pentium 4 3.06ghz over a 2.26 ghz I7 cause it has a higher clock. It doesnt work that way, you need to review both cards, check benchmarks etc to see which card is better.

I use this site to see which card performs better ----->>http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

According to the site the 6790 out performes the 550 ti so that would be an ideal choice.
a c 84 U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 1:06:25 PM

the hd 6790 is better then gtx 550ti in some cases so you should go with hd 6790.:) 

edit:- they both are on pair now.

core clock:- The actual speed at which the graphics processor on a video card operates. Core clock is measured in megahertz (MHz). The core clock speed can sometimes be changed on newer cards where users want to gain a performance boost. This is called overclocking and it can usually be done using third-party utilities or the drivers provided by the video card manufacturer.
Related resources
March 11, 2012 1:24:03 PM

sunnk said:
the hd 6790 is better then gtx 550ti in some cases so you should go with hd 6790.:) 

core clock:- The actual speed at which the graphics processor on a video card operates. Core clock is measured in megahertz (MHz). The core clock speed can sometimes be changed on newer cards where users want to gain a performance boost. This is called overclocking and it can usually be done using third-party utilities or the drivers provided by the video card manufacturer.

They both are on pair now?
March 11, 2012 1:25:14 PM

sunnk said:

Thanks a bunch, for the site too. looks pretty useful
March 11, 2012 1:31:04 PM

Best answer selected by rahiarain.
a c 84 U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 1:33:08 PM

goodluck:) 
!