Another newbie needing PSU suggestions

blacklabel8829

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hello all,

I'm finally building my own rig, a goal that has been much delayed until now. I have been lurking this site for a few month and finally decided to ask for some help. I have been scouring the internets to try and figure out the best power supply for my needs. After using the newegg PSU calculator I decided to go for a 600w PSU. I haven't purchased any components yet (other than my case & DVD-RW), right now I have everything saved on my newegg wishlist awaiting purchase time. In regards to buying the parts, what are the thoughts on buying components piecemeal? The good of it is it allows me to buy various components as they go on sale, but the bad side is that I lose out on the 30 return/replacement policy if I run into any DOA or other issues. Any suggestions on which, if any, parts I just buy piecemeal and which i should buy together?

Ok, here are my current wishlist system specs:
CPU: i5-2500k
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Graphics Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-RX GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
HDD: WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM, will eventually add a SSD as a system drive.

The PSU I have been looking at is the CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

I do not plan on overclocking anytime soon and don't plan on much of hardcore gaming for now (no Crysis/Skyrim/BF3).
I am trying to keep costs down and build a decent starter build, but I know skimping on the PSU is not a good idea.

How does the PSU I listed sound or are there any other suggestions for PSU or general suggestions on my other components?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Solution
The psu that you have listed is fine and the cost is good for your budget. You are correct about buying piece meal in that you would loose the 30 day return policy so the parts that you shoud get together is the cpu , motherboard and power supply , that way you can breadboard the MB and cpu to make sure it turns on and the psu is working. If you had enough money then include the ram. With this setup and a monitor or tv you could use the onboard graphics chip to get a post and even go into the bios of the motherboard.
The one thing that I would change is the video card , I know it's probably what you can aford but it really should be a better one if you want to play the more popular games. Because you have the onboard graphics you could...
The psu that you have listed is fine and the cost is good for your budget. You are correct about buying piece meal in that you would loose the 30 day return policy so the parts that you shoud get together is the cpu , motherboard and power supply , that way you can breadboard the MB and cpu to make sure it turns on and the psu is working. If you had enough money then include the ram. With this setup and a monitor or tv you could use the onboard graphics chip to get a post and even go into the bios of the motherboard.
The one thing that I would change is the video card , I know it's probably what you can aford but it really should be a better one if you want to play the more popular games. Because you have the onboard graphics you could delay buying the video card untill you have money save for a better one. A 560Ti would be a good choice and with the newer generation of Nvidia having been released your chances of getting a lower price are pretty good.

Solution

blacklabel8829

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions, it's much appreciated. Any specific reason to buy the ram along with the cpu, mobo, psu instead of piecemeal beforehand? I knew the i5-2500k has the onboard graphics but haven't heard much on it's performance, how well does it handle normal use (i.e. video playback, low level gaming, etc.)? I do agree, I have been eyeing the 560Ti. I'm not a huge PC gamer right now, most of the bigger games I end up getting on console but I know I may be easily converted once this rig is built. I hope by the time I get all the funds saved up (a couple months hopefully) that it may be priced lower, or maybe swing for a newegg refurb (though I prefer new).

The reason for the ram purchase with the other parts is that you do need it for a post but you would also need a hard drive as well.
The onboard graphics will get you web surfing and movie playback but the gaming will suffer unless it at low resolution and settings so the using of intergrated graphics would be limited and only as an option to get more cash for a better video card.
The prices have been coming down on the oler cards and the rebates have been better so you may be able to catch a good deal if you are vigilant.