virus???

blade47

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
i recently upgraded my system to a ATHLON 64 3200 on an ASUS A8N-E motherboard with nVidia Geforce 7600 GT 256 MB.
The problem is after windows boots up ,after 5 minutes windows shows a blue screen and reboots.
This happens everytime.
IS this due to a virus???
What should i Do??

G

Backup your stuff, and do a clean Install if this has'nt been done. Changing components can cause funky stuff if you dont re-install.

BSOD, generally mean incompaitbility / faulty drivers, not virus, although it's not always true.

blade47

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
i upgraded from an ATHLON XP 2600 with Geforce 5600 256MB AGP and 512 MB to an ATHLON 64 3200 .
According to your suggestions i reinstalled windows and now the BSOD screen has disappeared altogether.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
i recently upgraded my system to a ATHLON 64 3200 on an ASUS A8N-E motherboard with nVidia Geforce 7600 GT 256 MB.
The problem is after windows boots up ,after 5 minutes windows shows a blue screen and reboots.
This happens everytime.
What should i Do??

See what's running in your start-up menu.
go to Start->Run->type in msconfig->Startup
Disable everything you don't know OR disable everything.
restart the computer.
Repeat the procedure above - to see what's in your startup.
Virus's like to protect themselves from being deleted.
See if anything was added after the restart -
Startup gives the command and the location. Try to rename it, or remove it.

windego

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Install linux. The OS never becomes unstable, period.

To answer your question. It's most likely a kernel level device driver thats causing a problem, or as you suggested, a virus. start->run, type msconfig, press enter, check the startup tab for unknown/suspicious processes and disable them.

It's a good idea to install avg/zone alarm as well, they are free and very good.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
This happens everytime.
What should i Do??

See what's running in your start-up menu.
go to Start->Run->type in msconfig->Startup
Disable everything you don't know OR disable everything.
restart the computer.
Repeat the procedure above - to see what's in your startup.
Virus's like to protect themselves from being deleted.
See if anything was added after the restart -
Startup gives the command and the location. Try to rename it, or remove it.

Then the fun with process explorer and cacls(dos) begin's 8)

ikaz

Distinguished
Sorry to say you will probably have to re-install your OS. I believe the problem is dude to hardware differences. Since you replaced your MB (which you had to do for the CPU/video card) it would seem the hardware difference is too great right now and that why you are blue screening. If you have a lot of time on your hands you could try safemode and it if boots into window then uninstall all Mother board and video drivers on your system however it seem by your description it freezes before booting into windows.

If you realy want to keep your setting and programs you could say out your old setup back together boot into windows and then uninstall Mb/video drivers then run sysprep then put your new PC back together. That will make windows run the setup for most devices in your PC like you did an install however all you program setting should still be in place.