Slow, jittery - help!

awould

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Not sure where to post this. I am a computer novice. I can poke around a PC enough to fix small problems and get myself into trouble. Lately, my PC has been very very slow. As I type this, the letters are appearing much slower than I am typing. My mouse lags on the screen enough to where I end up clicking on the wrong link or inserting my cursor into the wrong line. Here is my basis set up.

Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit, Service Pack 1
Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6GHz
4 GB RAM
Acer G235H and Acer G215HV (Kensington Multi-Display Adaptor)
Standard Intel graphics driver?

Key Software
Office 2010
Avast anti-virus
Malwarebytes anti-malware
Chrome

I think having Avast and the Malwarebytes programs running side by side probably doesn't help but the problem existed before I installed the Malwarebytes so I know that isn't the cause.

Also, my PC used to be hooked up to an office network and now it is at home. I'm sure there is still some settings that aren't necessary anymore and maybe they're the problem?

What I am wondering is if the CPU/RAM isn't up to snuff to handle the Windows 7/Office 2010 software. Or possibly my monitors and my graphics driver don't go together.

At any rate, it's frustrating and I am hoping you can help me solve it!

Thank you.

awould

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
I was able to uninstall it using an application from Avast that required me to go into Safe Mode and basically delete the entire Avast folder. It appears to be gone now. I will install the Windows stuff and see how it goes. Since I just restarted, the problem is mitigated somewhat, I assume because the RAM is cleared or something. Usually takes a bit of time (not very much) for it to get bad again.... I will return with a report. I appreciate your time!

awould

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
No, still happening. For instance, with Google Chrome, I will stop scrolling, move my cursor to the link I want to click and usually right when I'm clicking it, the page will jump a bit more as it finishes the scroll. It's extremely irritating.

Also, as I type this, the letters are slow to appear, and if I try to hold the delete button to remove a few words, the letters will delete and then a lag and then it will finish deleting them. The lag is enough to where I will think it's done and start typing from where it appears to have left off.

Make a note of your windows key, download the iso file from microsoft and the usb creator tool, create a bootable win7 disc for your version of windows, home/pro etc and then reinstall windows,
remember to save any drivers you may need to, webcam, wireless card that kind of thing
Moto

chugot9218

Honorable
Check for viruses first, but, if you have anti-virus/anti-malware software being installed and uninstalled on the PC it can leave stuff in the registry that can cause problems. I thought I had read somewhere that certain anti-malware (like malwarebytes which I love and am not trying to dog on) should only be used to periodically check a PC for malware, and then removed. But I am not 100% on that, I mean I did get a copy of the MalwareBytes pro for life and may just install it on my PC and leave it there anyways (but my PC is a little beefier than yours and can definitely handle it!). Worse comes to worse re-install Windows and I would be surprised if it didn't fix it (our PC's at work have dual cores I believe and 4 gb ram and run windows 7 fine).