FX-6100 - Phenom ii X4 965 - i3-2120 PLEASE READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gboy_05

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Help me to choose the best gaming processor listed below..

FX-6100 , Phenom ii x4 965, or I3-2120

And please explain why!

I'm going to buy a processor later and i need some advice, asap!.

Thanks. :na:

Solution
You're gonna get basically the same answer I gave you in the other thread from almost anyone else here, lol (unless they're fanboy's, lol).

Disregard the 6100, and go with the 965 or 2120.

Like I also said in the other thread, the 2120 would be better for gaming than a stock speed 965, but an OC to the 965 will even it up.

Honestly, out of the 3, I'd go with the 965 (because it's a quad core and in games like BF3, that's beneficial). The 6100 is a faux "6 core" with 6 integer cores, but only 3 execution units. That, combined with the slow architecture, makes it not worth considering.

You're gonna get basically the same answer I gave you in the other thread from almost anyone else here, lol (unless they're fanboy's, lol).

Disregard the 6100, and go with the 965 or 2120.

Like I also said in the other thread, the 2120 would be better for gaming than a stock speed 965, but an OC to the 965 will even it up.

Honestly, out of the 3, I'd go with the 965 (because it's a quad core and in games like BF3, that's beneficial). The 6100 is a faux "6 core" with 6 integer cores, but only 3 execution units. That, combined with the slow architecture, makes it not worth considering.

Solution

This. end of yet another thread asking the same question for the eleventy-seventh time. :kaola:

gboy_05

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Sorry i didn't notice that you reply i forgot to open the thread..
Well anyway thank you for the advice yes i think i need to go 965, but do i really need to buy a cpu cooler?. I'm not planning to OC for now maybe some other time i will try coz i dont know how to OC. :na: :na:

You're welcome, and if you want to OC, you'll need an aftermarket cooler, yes. OC'ing a Black Edition CPU is relatively easy, though. There's a good guide in the Overclocking section on that if you need help figuring it out. :)

Edit: Really, I'd just go ahead and get an aftermarket cooler to begin with, since it'll be easier to install it when you first build than it will be later.

gboy_05

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Thank you. :)

Lol, Phenom II> i3 any day. As to the question of whether to overclock or not. My logic is, overclocking is one of the big advantages of building your own computer vs buying a pre-built. While there are plenty of other advantages to building your own, I think overclocking is a big one, so take advantage of it. Stock to stock the i3 does indeed have stronger cores, but overclocked a Phenom II can match the i3 in single core performance and heavily outgun it in 4 threaded performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.