Sign in with
Your question

Computer problem. Need opinions

Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2012 6:47:40 AM

Hey, not too long ago my computer was working fine, but lately i have been having problems with what i think is my harddrive as my system tends to freeze or hang a lot while it's on. Anyways I got frustrated at trying to figure out what was causing the problem and "love tapped" the front of my computer where the power button is, i didn't sock it or anything and didn't slam it either. Well right when i did that a kind of pop noise occured and all of a sudden my computer started emitting the burnt smell. I tried to figure out where it came from but i couldn't since the smell was every where. Now my computer doesn't turn on. the LED's, CPU fan, Graphics card fan, harddrive and CD/dvd drive run/spin/open but yet my case fans do not? if I plug my case fans on the case fan labeled power connector areas(on the MB) they don't turn on. BUT, if I connect the power plug of the case fans to what is labeled the CPU fan connectors on the MB the case fans will start up.

I tried looking at my MB for any capacitor discoloration or burns and on the underside of the MB for any noticable burn marks, but there was noting I could see that was out of the ordinary.

anyways my question is, does this sound like the PSU ended up frying? or do you think it sounds like something else? any opinions are appreciated and thank you for your time!

Specs.
AMD Phenom II x4 960T Zosma
A-Data RAM: 8 Gigs
Mother board: ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+
Graphics: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT)
Harddrive: Caivar blue WD 640Gigs
PSU: Antec 650W Max.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2012 6:58:07 AM

The PSU is a likely candidate. Do you have any other spare PSUs to try testing the system with?
m
l
May 14, 2012 7:02:37 AM

no, i don't have a spare PSU. This was my first computer I built and I have just been upgrading the parts on it over the 2 1/2 years I have owned it. But the PSU is probably the one thing I haven't touched for upgrading since I have owned it. I was thinking of just buying a new PSU and if it doesn't work then returning it and going fro there.
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2012 7:14:04 AM

If you can, re-check the m'board - especially the underside of the m'board for any discolouration - if you find any on the board itself, then unfortunately the m'board (at least) will need replaced. If you don't see anything then do try another psu.
m
l
May 14, 2012 7:58:11 AM

blazorthon said:
The PSU is a likely candidate. Do you have any other spare PSUs to try testing the system with?

Every time I have had a PSU failure so far, the symptoms were either spontaneous rebooting/shutdown, failure to power-up or continuous rebooting.

Many critical PC components including the PSU itself have under/over-voltage lock-out to force the outcome if their power feed gets out of bounds and tripping any of them usually causes either hard-reset or crowbar reboot/shutdown, not lock-ups and subtle glitches. Since most modern point-of-load regulators have integrated under/over-voltage protections, PSU junk should not be able to affect locally regulated loads without tripping local protections if the local regulators are properly designed.
m
l
May 14, 2012 8:13:11 AM

InvalidError said:
Every time I have had a PSU failure so far, the symptoms were either spontaneous rebooting/shutdown, failure to power-up or continuous rebooting.

Many critical PC components including the PSU itself have under/over-voltage lock-out to force the outcome if their power feed gets out of bounds and tripping any of them usually causes either hard-reset or crowbar reboot/shutdown, not lock-ups and subtle glitches. Since most modern point-of-load regulators have integrated under/over-voltage protections, PSU junk should not be able to affect locally regulated loads without tripping local protections if the local regulators are properly designed.

So in your opinion, do these symptoms point towards my mother board or do you think it's towards the power supply? I mean I have done some research on these symptoms and so far it's either or. So the only thing i can do right now is just replace one at a time and see if they work.

Any input would greatly help :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2012 8:15:36 AM

InvalidError said:

I once had a similar problem and through troubleshooting, I found out that the PSU was damaged, so I suggested that it was a likely candidate. I did not say that the OP's problem had to be the PSU.
m
l
May 14, 2012 5:20:15 PM

blazorthon said:
I once had a similar problem and through troubleshooting, I found out that the PSU was damaged, so I suggested that it was a likely candidate. I did not say that the OP's problem had to be the PSU.

I did not deny the possibility of bad PSU crashing something. What I did say is that if this happens, it means the device that was affected by bad power is also improperly designed since its under/over-voltage protections failed to trip when the power feed got sufficiently out of bounds to affect the load.
m
l
May 14, 2012 8:41:06 PM

Str8thuggin, before reading any more 'words' please visually check both sides of your m'moard - there was 'alot of smoke' after all !!, so, m'board damage = new m'board + (possibly) cards/memory/psu, no damage = (possibly) replace psu.

i.e. YOU NEED TO VISUALLY RECHECK - our words are not enough!!

:) 
m
l
May 14, 2012 10:03:44 PM

If magic smoke came out of somewhere, burning/smoking ICs and PCBs usually leave very obvious soot/scorch marks behind. If you cannot find any in the open and around heatsinks (if the 'event' happened under one) then it must have come from an enclosed area.

If the tap caused something loose to make contact with something and trip over-voltage crowbar protections somewhere, it might have caused the PSU to (partially) self-destruct.
m
l
!