AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey guys,

Anyone who has an idea what could cause packages between server and client to be held momentary to then be launched in rapid succession as if to catch up with the timeline?

Explanation:

I am playing Ragnarok Online, a fairly old RPG my buddy asked me to try.

My problem is that I from time to time have "freezelags" which cause my character not to receive commands, mobs just continue what they were doing before the lag, and if thats attacking you, and you're running... tough deal. It does carry the my last command before the lag. The game is not stuttering at all, the general delay is fine, but this... is something else.

After 1-8 secs my character starts moving again and carries out all the commands i've been queueing at an overdrive pace, my character moves very fast, as to make up for lost time. After that the game runs smooth again.

This happens completely at random and there are no way to anticipate them, few or many players, sprites or mobs... it doesnt matter. I usually have music on while playing, that is completely uninterrupted, same with other stuff if i run it windowed.

Hope you can help me, and that I havent been too specific don't mean to make a wall of text.

Solution
Rats... revert your setup and read on.

Are you and your friend on the same ISP? Are you in the same geographical area? Calling your ISP at this point might be a good next step. Also take a look at your system temperatures while in the game. Grab a copy of HWMonitor and run the game again. When the lag spikes return, pull out of the game and check the maximum reading in HWMonitor for your CPU and video temps.

Also, if I haven't mentioned it already, make sure your video driver is up to date.
From your description, this still sounds to me like this is just standard network lag... Is there anything else on your local network that could be hogging bandwidth? Have you grabbed the latest network drivers from the network chip manufacturer's website (NOT from Windows Update)? Rebooted your router lately? If your router has a wireless AP built in, have you secured the wireless properly (or shut it off completely if you don't use it)?

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I have 60/60mbit network, even if someone was hogging bandwidth it couldnt affect the small amount required for this.

I havent checked up on drivers, but it should be weird that a game from 2004 would need updated drivers from a series created in 2008. I'll do that.

I have rebooted my router when I forwarded some ports that were recommended if you had trouble, this did however not help.

I can try checking the router settings and see if anything could be interfering with the connection.

My problem here is that my network is far superior to that of my friends, and he has no problems. The difference is massive. He has none of these freezelags, i have them up to 8 secs. There's got to be some sort of error some place.

About the wireless we have a 256bit password on it, one guy is using it, but none of the 2 others are capable of launching anything with such a massive amount of data transfer. I didn't mention that i play a lot of other online games as well... these have 0 delay. Actually a couple of them are First Person Shooters.. In FPS games you notice lag the very first time it goes above 150ms, that never happens to me.

I'm not too familiar with Ragnarok Online, but I assume it automatically updates itself when you launch the game? If not, seek any patches to bring the game up to date as well.

Port forwarding I've found doesn't always actually work. Perhaps try putting the machine into the router's DMZ for a short time and see if that sorts it?

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Edited a little, doesnt matter to the flow of the thread tho :p

I'm not sure how to do that... Is there a way to move my machine as the only one on the network besides plugging it directly into the modem?

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
So far i have not seen any freezelags, the delay is there but thats the distance, and is bearable.

If the routing indeed is the culprit, what could I do about it without being wide open to attacks from the net? I don't mind doing what is necessary, but being open to everything seems excessive.

EDIT: I won't call this solved yet, since there ARE periods where I don't have these lags at all. I won't be able to to have anything conclusive before tomorrow

Rats... revert your setup and read on.

Are you and your friend on the same ISP? Are you in the same geographical area? Calling your ISP at this point might be a good next step. Also take a look at your system temperatures while in the game. Grab a copy of HWMonitor and run the game again. When the lag spikes return, pull out of the game and check the maximum reading in HWMonitor for your CPU and video temps.

Also, if I haven't mentioned it already, make sure your video driver is up to date.

Solution

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Yea, about the video driver... that should make the screen stutter right? My cursor is fine, and the animation are still there, but there are no reactions.

I think I'll do what you said, get some readings on temps and call my ISP. Updating all drivers 'almost' never hurt either ^^

If it's any driver at all I think it's the motherboard. My network card is on there. My logic tells me that this is not the problem though since i have no problems with anything else than that specific game.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The problem has been found, I tried to persist with the tracert and it turns out that an american server is unstable. I hadn't been able to see it before as its stability isn't all ***(which makes it even worse in this case?!)

I have contacted my ISP about it and they'll see what they can do about it, contact the bad server ISP and report back.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I find it funny that the word synonymous to crap is censored ^^

TRENDING THREADS