Icon customization

I have many items on my desktop to which I've assigned custom icons
(including many that are MS products). When I close some windows, there's a
delay and all of the icons revert back to their original icons, whether they
be file folders or internet pages or documents, and then they slowly regain
their custom icons. I'm a little worried that there's something "hidden"
going on; this did not used to happen. Any thoughts? Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about icon customization

    Depends...this could either be icon cache, explorer.exe issues, programs
    running the background, etc.

    > this did not used to happen.

    When did you notice the behavior, after.....?

    In the meantime:

    Go to: Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Show Hidden File and
    Uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files.

    Delete Icon Cache. It is located here:

    IconCache.db
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data

    To clear and reset icon cache:

    Right click the Desktop/Properties/Appearance/Advanced. Use the item
    drop box and choose Icon. Change the pixel number by one. Ok your way
    out.

    Increase Icon Cache (Line 121)

    Correct/Repair the Icon View (Line 4)

    Tip:

    Add Icon Cache Size to Folder Options/View (Line 166)

    If all is not settled, run the edit on 157:

    Good luck and keep us posted. :o)

    --
    Happy Holidays,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "OneCleverWoman" <OneCleverWoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have many items on my desktop to which I've assigned custom icons
    > (including many that are MS products). When I close some windows, there's
    > delay and all of the icons revert back to their original icons, whether
    > they
    > be file folders or internet pages or documents, and then they slowly
    > regain
    > their custom icons. I'm a little worried that there's something "hidden"
    > going on; this did not used to happen. Any thoughts? Thanks.

    Hi,

    See if updating the video drivers help. Other than that, here is a workaround from Keith Miller and David Candy:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&selm=uLzmNykUEHA.1020%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "OneCleverWoman" <OneCleverWoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF450B53-D2F2-4C54-B086-2FC1D518FBA6@microsoft.com...
    I have many items on my desktop to which I've assigned custom icons
    (including many that are MS products). When I close some windows, there's a
    delay and all of the icons revert back to their original icons, whether they
    be file folders or internet pages or documents, and then they slowly regain
    their custom icons. I'm a little worried that there's something "hidden"
    going on; this did not used to happen. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Configuration Customization Icons Windows XP