Tips for upgrading a Processor

mattb_07

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Hello, slightly new to all this upgrading stuff, and Pc hardware, butI would like toask for some advice for any particular high performing Processors?

I'm looking for preferebly the best processor I an handle, and would also like some tips on compatability with my mobo.

Here is my motherboard model;
M2N68-LA (Narra6)

And here are my specs for everything else that may effect + assist for any answers;

Pc Model: HP G5210uk

motherboard model;
M2N68-LA (Narra6)
Manufacturer: Pegatron
Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR3
Front side bus speeds: 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)
Processor socket: AM3

Current Processor model:

AMD Athlon II X3 440

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Socket type: AM3
TDP: 95 watt

Obviously anything above 95 watts is too much, and cannot surpass AM3

Any assistance in suggesting mid-range to best processors available that will work with my current motherbord? Obviously I am asking for something better then my current Amd athlon II x3 processor.

Only about a week ago I was nudged by a friend who pointed out my poor graphics card, now I've installed a Nvidia 660Ti graphics card, a new 750 watt power system, brought a pair of memory modules (Ram) and now i'm looking at upgrading the tricker part (my processor) which doesnt make much sense to me.

So I will humbly ask for everyones expertise!

Thank you!

Note: Im currently lookng at this model of Processor? Will this be compatable with my mobo? Plus am I looking in the right direction if I want more raw power?

Model: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T

mattb_07

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Thanks for the link!

It seems i've looked up everything apart from that, given the processors my motherboard can accept, I'm limited to only quad cores? if the E.G Amd Athlon II x4 the "x4" part of that means processing cores? unless theres something else thats obvious and is not compatable with my motherboard, like in the specifications?

Otherwise d you recomend anything in that list is worth upgrading over my current Amd Athlon II x3 440 processor? or is the investment not worth the extra £ and wont be noticeable?

Thanks C12Friedman!

With the 660ti, the rest of your build is way behind it's capabilities. Here's what I would be looking to do, wait about a month and a half for Piledriver - upgrade your motherboard to AM3+ with a piledriver CPU. BTW, you should be able to upgrade your motherboard to AM3+ while keeping your current processor and run your system that way for a month or so.
Hope it helps

mattb_07

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the help!

I'll definatly be looking out for your suggestion, I held back by my current mobo in so many ways, so I'm going to be looking out for the Piledriver CPU.

I was thinking of upgrading the motherboard, but finding something like that confuses me also, so i do apologize for my ignorence in all of this, just taking it a step at a time :) Your suggestion has definatly pushed me in the right direction though

Your help is much appreciated

mattb_07

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Before I make an upgrade to a new motherboard, can i just ask how I can determine which specific models of CPU's will be compatable with the above link provided? Here is the list of compatable CPU's it's giving me atm;

AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb)
AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka)
AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto)
AMD II Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)
AMD II Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)
AMD II Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)
AMD Sempron 1xx (Sargas)

what does the '9xx/9xxxe/8xx' ect mean? which of these compatable CPU's will be best? E.G fastest ect I have a £200 budget for the processor, and I will very much appreciate input on what you feel is the best most compatable processor off the above list.

Thanks!

I do believe all of those CPU's are under $200 currently. The 9xx would refer to any of the Phenom II x4's CPU's in the 900 series (that are 95W or less) such as the 910, 925, 945 (although there is also a 125W 945 model -something to be aware of). A quick check for pricing leads me to believe none of those processors are available new at this time. That would bring me around to my piledriver suggestion (which I'm expecting to come in mostly under the $200 mark) to upgrade motherboard now, something like the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 AM3+ seen here
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-990fxa-d3-amd-990x-s-am3plus-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-20-(x16)-atx
It's a full size ATX board so you'll have to ensure it'll fit in your case but the chipset there should take full advantage of the Piledriver processor when released and will work with your current processor until piledriver's release. If you can't use a full ATX board (due to size) there are also some nice micro-ATX boards available that may work.
I say, look at the motherboards now, processors later.

obsama1

Distinguished
Can't upgrade the mobo and CPU without a new copy of Windows. HP and Dell tie their copy of Windows to the mobo, so if you get a new one, you'll need a new copy of Windows.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished

Thats only with the mobo not the CPU.

The 9xx bit is CPUs with 9xx as there model number (like Pentium D 925).

mattb_07

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you both for your valuable input, sorry to have not replied earlier, had a long day at work, I will definatly be investing in a new Mobo, and the one above looks great, im confined currently by a MicroAtx board (245mmx245mm) But I might just toss this computer altogether, its when you buy a midrange factory built Pc, that it lets you down in so many ways, but doesnt advertise these things which can be shadowed by what the pc does have to offer at the time.

I feel like im restricted in almost every aspect when I want different things upgraded, and its ony when you think of upgrading, you realise how terrible your systm is.

Time to buy a nice shiny Full Atx compatable case, and just gather all the parts bit by bit, first Mobo, then processor, already got a Gtx 660ti Graphics card and Be quiet! 730 watt power module that should power all my future needs.

Again thank you both, I've only started thinking of upgrading for the first time around 8 days ago, so alot of these numbers, models, and what is compatable is still a bit vague for me, but slowly getting there!

If any questions, ask away. After all, that is what this forum is for.

TRENDING THREADS