Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Reason to go Ivy Bridge?

Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2012 7:43:36 AM

Since haswell comes out in a year I think is there any reason to build a computer for the Z77 chipset and Ivy Bridge? I'm making a new comp and for the longest time was going to go with Ivy bridge/z77 but wondering why not just go cheap right now with maybe an h67 and wait for haswell if/when I need to upgrade.

Now you might think that if I feel that way why not just wait for haswell and buy then?
quite simply I need a new computer by the end of this month, a certain game comes out soon and I want to play it. (Guild Wars 2 if it matters) I also plan to play skyrim and some others, but wouldn't the h67 be able to do all of that?

Sorry if this was the wrong section btw, I wasn't sure.

More about : reason ivy bridge

May 14, 2012 8:15:34 AM

If you need a computer now then buy what you want. There will always be something better in the future. Ivy bridge and sandy bridge are awesome right now and it will probably take a few cpu generations down the road before you need to upgrade again.

Haswell will require a new socket too. So for me I would rather not waste money a mobo and cpu if i didnt intend to keep it for a while but that's just me lol.
m
l
May 14, 2012 8:35:09 AM

1tym said:
If you need a computer now then buy what you want. There will always be something better in the future. Ivy bridge and sandy bridge are awesome right now and it will probably take a few cpu generations down the road before you need to upgrade again.

Haswell will require a new socket too. So for me I would rather not waste money a mobo and cpu if i didnt intend to keep it for a while but that's just me lol.

+1
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2012 4:12:11 PM

alright thanks,

for my purposes do you think the I3 2100 will suffice? I do plan to upgrade to haswell and I know that it costs more doing that but... I'm willing to pay for it.

Also I realize that the I3 2100 has 2 cores vs the 2500's 4, but if I recall right only 2 of them are unlocked. From what I have heard there aren't any games that require more than 2... are the I3's 2 cores both unlocked? If they are does this make it effectively the same as the 2500?

I know you can unlock them, but I definitely won't be doing that since I have zero experience with it I also won't be OC so I don't need the K versions.

Once I upgrade to haswell, possibly I'll be doing those kinds of things because I would have a little more experience, but for now I don't want to do those things.
m
l

Best solution

May 14, 2012 4:20:24 PM

zex95966 said:
alright thanks,

for my purposes do you think the I3 2100 will suffice? I do plan to upgrade to haswell and I know that it costs more doing that but... I'm willing to pay for it.

Also I realize that the I3 2100 has 2 cores vs the 2500's 4, but if I recall right only 2 of them are unlocked. From what I have heard there aren't any games that require more than 2... are the I3's 2 cores both unlocked? If they are does this make it effectively the same as the 2500?

I know you can unlock them, but I definitely won't be doing that since I have zero experience with it I also won't be OC so I don't need the K versions.

Once I upgrade to haswell, possibly I'll be doing those kinds of things because I would have a little more experience, but for now I don't want to do those things.

I have never heard of unlocking cores before on a SB cpu or any Intel cpu that I can recall. I believe that's an AMD thing. As far as games go, quads tend to do better in the FPS department...at least with Intel cpu's. With the AMD's it's different. The i3 SB keep up and a lot of times surpass the AMD quads.
May 14, 2012 7:36:06 PM

thanks! you've both been informative too bad I can only select one best answer heh.
m
l
May 14, 2012 7:36:21 PM

Best answer selected by zex95966.
m
l
!