Requesting help selecting MB + CPU cooler

macclearich

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
GOAL: Build an enthusiast-grade or slightly higher PC on a reasonable budget that will be more than sufficient for current needs and upgradeable piecemeal over several years.

CONSIDERATIONS: This is - or will be - my first hand-built PC. I've rolled my own Linux distributions for a decade, but have never built the hardware end before. I do a fair bit of gaming, but I also do a lot of coding and heavy-duty, deeply linked number crunching, so this system will not necessarily resemble any one "class" of machine. The machine will almost certainly be overclocked eventually, and I'm planning for CPU cooling on that basis. The parts list presented is the product of a couple of days of research, and is not presumed to be in any way perfect, so recommendations are welcome. And if I've made any obviously bonehead errors, feel free to point them out as such.

BUDGET: I set my target number at $1250.

COMPONENTS:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660Ti
Memory: G.Skill Ares 16GB (4x4GB)
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 64GB
HD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM
Optical: Whatever I can find for ~$20.
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 750W (need bigger?)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Total cost as specced: $1023

Motherboard: I frankly do not know.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Now: my question is, what Z77 ATX motherboard, and what CPU cooler for mild-to-moderate overclocking, would be an optimal fit for this setup? I'm considering the Hyper 212 as a cooler, which (assuming it's the right thing to get) would bring my system total up to just under $1060, giving me $190 to play with for a motherboard and maybe some extra fans. What motherboard would be the best fit for this system?

Thanks in advance,

mac

After reading the description of what you want to do with this computer I was surprised to see the 3570K cpu. I think that you want an i7 cpu for the heavy duty number crunching and video encoding , plus the overclocking.
Fot the overclocking I would stay away from the Ivy Bridge unless your overclocking is of the mild variety , around 4 ghz. Because of Intel's design of Ivy Bridge and being a low power TDP , when you add voltage at the higher speeds of an overclock you get some serious heat, unlike the Sandy Bridge cpu. This article will help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198.html

So with that being said I would go with a i7-2600K for a cpu.
The motherboard I would go with a Z-68 snse it matches up with the Sandy Bridge and the cpu can't take advantage of the Z-77 chipset features.

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$175.99 and a $20 rebate making the final price $155.99.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

The Hyper 212 Evo will be fine on the i7-2600K up to 4.5 ghz.