Sign in with
Your question

Core i5 2500K graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 11, 2012 5:54:00 PM

Hello everyone, I'd like to know what kind of performance can I expect from Core i5 2500K?

I'm asking because I'm still missing CPU, GPU and MoBo to complete my new rig. I'm going to buy CPU and MoBo this month, but I'll have enough money for GPU next month.

Until then, I'm going to use integrated graphics that come with 2500K.

Games I'm interested in are Borderlands, Team Fortress 2, Killing Floor and such.

Will I be able to run them at 1680x1050 with decent FPS? I don't care about details for now.

I tried googling some benchmarks buy they're quite scarce so I'm asking here.

Cheers.

More about : core 2500k graphics

March 11, 2012 6:03:57 PM

The intel i5 2500k has intels newest Hd 3000 graphics. Team fortress 2 and other older less demanding games should run fine at moderate settings with decent FPS. But remember, this is only an integrated solution, so don't expect to be running battlefield at 2500x1600 on ultra :)  Look through the benchmarks on this : http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/01/27/in...
As you can see it is fully capable of running less demanding games like left 4 dead 2 with high fps. Make sure you have enough RAM, as oddly, this thing sucks up to 1 gb of shared video memory on alot of games. Probably due to ddr3 memory instead of gddr5. In conclusion, Yes this should handle any of your needs quite fine.
March 11, 2012 6:11:45 PM

That's good to hear. :)  Thanks for the link.

I have 8 GB of DDR3 RAM (Corsair Vengeance, 1600 MHz).

Like I said, I don't expect spectacular performance, just something to keep me running for a month until I buy a concrete GPU (most likely 560 Ti).

Left 4 Dead 2 is another game that I like playing, nice to see it doesn't drop below 40 FPS and has average of ~70 FPS.
Related resources
March 11, 2012 6:22:18 PM

The 560ti is a great choice :)  I am building a computer with practically the same specs as you, though if I may make a recommendation, spend the extra 5/10$ and get the 2550k, its not much better, but you really cant go wrong with 5 bucks more
March 11, 2012 6:25:36 PM

The difference is $20 where I live, I don't think that 100 MHz matters because I'm going to overclock it anyway. :)  Somewhere between 4.0 and 4.5 GHz depending on temperatures.
March 11, 2012 6:26:38 PM

I have a 2500k in my rig, and before I installed my two 6970s the Windows experience index for graphics read 6.1!!! The dude at microcenter thought that was incredible. It only goes up to 7.9.

With the games you mentioned, you may not even need a GPU.
March 11, 2012 6:53:30 PM

In my country its a difference of 5$ ;)  way worth it. For 20$, I would not buy that, the 2500k is already an exceptional processor anyway.

-PCgamer81
I know right its ridiculous! I wonder how bf3 would handle on low?
March 11, 2012 9:55:19 PM

holykalo said:
In my country its a difference of 5$ ;)  way worth it. For 20$, I would not buy that, the 2500k is already an exceptional processor anyway.

-PCgamer81
I know right its ridiculous! I wonder how bf3 would handle on low?

There was this one guy on Battlelog that was running BF3 with onboard graphics and at 1024x768 with all settings on low, and he was getting about 30 fps.

I can max Half Life 2 (using trilinear filtering) with onboard graphics @ 1366x768 on my other PC, which is amazing. L4D2 and TF2 is also quite playable without a GPU.
March 11, 2012 10:05:56 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I feel relieved now. :) 

PCgamer81 said:
With the games you mentioned, you may not even need a GPU.

I'll play those for now. :)  Once I get GTX 560 Ti, I'll play many other games, for example:

Payday: The Heist
Skyrim
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dead Island
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Dead Space 1 & 2
Silent Hill: Homecoming
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. all 3
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Penumbra all 3
Battlefield 3

etc. :) 
March 11, 2012 10:19:05 PM

sublime2k said:
Thanks for all the replies, I feel relieved now. :) 

I'll play those for now. :)  Once I get GTX 560 Ti, I'll play many other games, for example:

Payday: The Heist
Skyrim
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dead Island
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Dead Space 1 & 2
Silent Hill: Homecoming
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. all 3
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Penumbra all 3
Battlefield 3

etc. :) 

You should be able to play all of the above at max settings easily with the 560Ti (save for BF3), and be able to play several of them at low to medium settings with just the 2500k.
March 11, 2012 10:25:15 PM

Excellent. :) 

I think I could run even BF3 at high because I don't care about AA/AF so I'll just leave them off (or very low AA).
March 11, 2012 10:43:28 PM

sublime2k said:
Excellent. :) 

I think I could run even BF3 at high because I don't care about AA/AF so I'll just leave them off (or very low AA).

With the 560 Ti you will be able to run BF3 on ultra in full 1080p (maxed out) and get around 30 fps. Trust me.

If you disable AA (which isn't really needed at 1080p) it should shoot up to about 40-45 fps.

Here I am maxing it out with a single 6970 before I added a second 6970. I'm even using fraps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg7i-UY13SI&list=UUZXSZd...

560 Ti = 6950
March 11, 2012 10:57:49 PM

the 2550k has an overclocking warrenty, just a FYI
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 11:09:36 PM

the 2550k doesn't have the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) so the OP wouldn't be able to use the CPU w/o a dedicated GPU.
March 12, 2012 12:54:17 AM

OhMyBad is correct, just checked the intel site :) 

And a 560ti should be able to handle any of the latest games of 2012 on max. Though make sure to buy a SLI compatible Mobo to allow further upgrading in the future. But since you are waiting a month to buy your GPU, kepler should be released at that point, from experience everytime nvidia releases a new generation the older series floods the market at about 10-20% discount prices. Following that thought you might be able to squeeze a gtx 570 into your budget, granting you exceptional performance for years to come. :)  its all about patience.
March 12, 2012 5:08:47 AM

holykalo said:
OhMyBad is correct, just checked the intel site :) 

And a 560ti should be able to handle any of the latest games of 2012 on max. Though make sure to buy a SLI compatible Mobo to allow further upgrading in the future. But since you are waiting a month to buy your GPU, kepler should be released at that point, from experience everytime nvidia releases a new generation the older series floods the market at about 10-20% discount prices. Following that thought you might be able to squeeze a gtx 570 into your budget, granting you exceptional performance for years to come. :)  its all about patience.

GeForce 600 series is getting released by mid April? If that's the case, I definitely wouldn't mind getting myself a GTX 570. :) 

MoBo that I'm getting is Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, I think it's SLI ready, but I'm not sure if 650W PSU would handle it. :/ 
March 12, 2012 6:23:07 PM

sublime2k said:
GeForce 600 series is getting released by mid April? If that's the case, I definitely wouldn't mind getting myself a GTX 570. :) 

MoBo that I'm getting is Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, I think it's SLI ready, but I'm not sure if 650W PSU would handle it. :/ 

Mobos use practically no power, its what you have hooked up to it that does. I can't see any chipset using more than 20w of power at max, the z68 would only uses about 10 watts, probably less. Its the SLI you have to worry about, the gtx 570 isnt exactly energy efficient, it uses just over 200w alone, and with SLI about 420w. That leaves less than 250w for the rest of your system (cpu takes 100w) which is not too bad of a safety margin, but will prevent any further upgrades in the future. (And the z68 does support SLI/crossfire :)  )

March 12, 2012 6:30:25 PM

Well, I was never a fan of SLI because it seems like there are always some kind of problems with it... Either there's micro stuttering or the game doesn't support it.

I'll just go with the good ol' fashioned single GPU solution and hope that the price of GTX 570 drops. :) 
March 12, 2012 6:42:33 PM

sublime2k said:
Well, I was never a fan of SLI because it seems like there are always some kind of problems with it... Either there's micro stuttering or the game doesn't support it.

I'll just go with the good ol' fashioned single GPU solution and hope that the price of GTX 570 drops. :) 

Good solution! Its a powerhouse of a card, it should be able to play all games of 2012 on ultra....at least until the games of 2013 come out, then you might have to settle for a little bit lower. Im planning on building a computer with a 570 or 580 when kepler is released, as the prices should SIGNIFICANTLY drop. :)  Make sure to buy quick though! All 6950s were sold out within the first fews days after the 7950s were released, same thing will go for the high end kepler cards :pfff: 
!