Film Scanner advise needed.

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 6, 2005 3:19:29 AM

After quickly discovering that the "Free CD" that comes with developed
prints contains very low rez scans and then being told that I can get Hi-Rez
300dpi scans for an extra $10, I am seriously thinking about a film scanner.

From what I could discover, the Minolta Dimage Dual IV seems to be about the
best value around. 3200dpi, ICE.

Is there a better alternative for ~the same cost ? NIB price is ~$220
delivered (several vendors).

How good is this scanner ? Advice ? Anything to watch out for ?

TIA !

Ross
July 6, 2005 6:44:25 PM

This is a very capable scanner.
What you get out of it depends on what you already know about image
processing, printing and color management and how much you are willing to
learn.
Simply scanning and printing without significant intermediate effort will
often be disappointing and frustrating. If you are not willing to learn and
experiment the whole effort is not worthwhile.
However if you learn how to polish your images in a program like Photoshop/
Elements,/PSP/Photopaint and the basics of color management, so there is
some predictable relationship between what you see on your monitor and what
comes out of your printer, the results will easily surpass anything your
corner lab can produce.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:15:24 AM

John Doe wrote:
> After quickly discovering that the "Free CD" that comes with developed
> prints contains very low rez scans and then being told that I can get Hi-Rez
> 300dpi scans for an extra $10, I am seriously thinking about a film scanner.
>
> From what I could discover, the Minolta Dimage Dual IV seems to be about the
> best value around. 3200dpi, ICE.
>
> Is there a better alternative for ~the same cost ? NIB price is ~$220
> delivered (several vendors).
>
> How good is this scanner ? Advice ? Anything to watch out for ?
>
> TIA !
>
> Ross

I have a Minolta Dimage Dual IV film scanner. It produces high quality
scans. Only one thing makes wrinkles on my face - everypresent dust. I
do not know how to get rid of it before scanning in.

--
Pea C
(ask me for the right e-mail address)

In article <204dc$42cd9b1b$52776b94$11835@news.chello.sk>,
Pea C <abc@abc.kom> wrote:

>I have a Minolta Dimage Dual IV film scanner. It produces high quality
> scans. Only one thing makes wrinkles on my face - everypresent dust. I
> do not know how to get rid of it before scanning in.

Dust Off ? or s dust brush like a Static Wisk ? used on the slides etc.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
!