Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Phenom II 965 BE idling at 60 degrees celsius...

Last response: in CPUs
August 31, 2012 9:20:34 PM

I just got my new CPU.. got a 40$ artic blaster or whatever heatsink for it and it's only using about 6% on all cores together( one core uses 2 one uses 4) and it's idling at 60 degrees I have no idea WTF is going on and I'm a bit frustrated.. It's at stock clock speed and it gets hotter than my FX 4170 overclocked to 4.6ghz on its stock heatsink.. please help :( 
August 31, 2012 9:31:14 PM

have you applied NEW thermal paste when you mounted the heatsink to the cpu? also do you have a good case airflow?
August 31, 2012 10:17:57 PM

my guess is thermal paste too. remove the heat sink, wipe both sides down with an alcohol swab to get the gunk off, put a BB sized blob of new thermal paste down in the center of the cpu (doesn't take much), install the heatsink again evenly and it will spread the paste across.

keeps my phenom 2 nice and cool, even overclocked.
P2 1090T with CM Hyper 212, Arctic cooling compound.
Related resources
August 31, 2012 10:34:58 PM

I think the articic blaster thing or w/e was too big for the chip because it left sides exposed but it was designed for AM3 socket so I don't know wtf is going on. he said it was ventilation but my old FX4170 on stock heatsink was reaching 74 degrees underload overclocked to 4.6ghz clock speed.
August 31, 2012 10:35:23 PM

The guy at the shop did.. he used artic silver or something and he used way more than a bead.. I put the original heatsink on and it's idling at 45 degrees celsius now.. is this oaky?
August 31, 2012 10:38:49 PM

for some reason I can't edit my messages but the FX4170 was idling at 40-45 degrees overclocked on stock heatsink as well just to let you guys know
August 31, 2012 10:43:49 PM

I use AMD overdrive and I have 3 case fans. Right now it's at like 97% on all cores and staying at 59 degrees celsius

voltage is at 1.3750
August 31, 2012 10:43:54 PM

That's still a little hot. I have my 965BE at 3.88 Ghz OC, and it idles at 33 or 34C, and reaches 50C max on full Prime95 load.

It sounds like airflow to me as well, at least on your stock fan. I have no idea why you were idling at 60 before, but don't let it run like that for long. I put the side back on my case and installed 3 more case fans, and now I'm doing fine. What is your voltage, using HWMonitor from CPU-id?
August 31, 2012 10:46:42 PM

The guy who installed it owns a shop and he says he has 20 years of experience and that he has built thousands of machines. The reason i don't do it myself is because I am the stoned kid :( 

Plus I called him and he let me come back to see if we could fix it and he reimbursed me for the heatsink he sold me and put the stock heatsink on for me
August 31, 2012 10:47:21 PM

It really could be overvoltaged because your last CPU was set to a different voltage. Check in your BIOS, by pressing the correct key at startup. It will tell you during your startup what to press for BIOS (usually F12 or something, maybe delete).

Check your settings to find your voltages. This CPU is set to run at 1.375V, or at least mine is so if its different than that change it to 1.375 and try that out. Did your CPU come with a install CD?

Really, you should install them yourself. It's not too difficult and you don't get some stoned kid trying to put together a sensitive piece of equipment and kick you out the door.
August 31, 2012 10:50:10 PM

is reinstalling my mobo dangerous? it came with some sort of CD but I don't remember there being a install option on it
August 31, 2012 10:50:37 PM

oh, and I meant did your MOBO come with an install cd. You could re-install and see if it detects your new CPU. Mine has a load optimized settings option.
August 31, 2012 10:53:36 PM

Sorry if I sounded judgmental. That's your right, I think. But yeah, try what I said and see if it works!

This is the reason I prefer to install it myself though. Now, you're still messing with the CPU and fans regardless, so it would have been better to install it yourself and learn that lesson! ; ) To each his own though.
August 31, 2012 11:10:20 PM

i put the CD in and pressed asus install. Nothing changed : / do you think if I opened my case and pointed a fan inside of it it would prove if it was a ventilation problem?
August 31, 2012 11:12:37 PM

can someone tell me where I can cahnge fan speed in the BIOS? i looked but I can't find it. I have an asis UEFI bios
August 31, 2012 11:13:27 PM

No need for a big fan pointed into an open case. Just open the side, let it sit and idle a little, then give it some load. If the problem remains, its the case airflow. Also try going into bios and adjusting fan speed. It could be on silent mode or something.
August 31, 2012 11:20:30 PM

It's not ventiation. I have no idea what it is this is so frustrating -.-
August 31, 2012 11:22:10 PM

Have u tried wiping off and reapplying thermal paste? It helped me before. Just do it properly.
August 31, 2012 11:23:41 PM

i don't hav any paste here but the paste was re applied twice. does wiping it all off matter? i don't think the guy wiped it off when he put more on
August 31, 2012 11:36:14 PM

Well it shouldn't be too thick. I've always cleaned it off with acetone (in nail polish remover). I use a thin sheet and get a good drop on load temps from my thermal paste, MX-2. And, I don't have any options for fan speed in my BIOS either. What is your stock CPU voltage? Maybe check online?
August 31, 2012 11:41:41 PM

I set the fan to turbo mode in the BIOS and it still idles at 45-50 celsius -.- and stock speed varies from mobo to mobo apparently but 1.3570 appears to be the norm.

Also the guy at the shop said the reads are probably really inaccurate and that i should still be able to overclock and game without worrying about it frying my GPU and mobo. any opinions?
a c 283 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 11:48:39 PM

vickus420 said:
Also the guy at the shop said the reads are probably really inaccurate and that i should still be able to overclock and game without worrying about it frying my GPU and mobo. any opinions?

What I think is that that guy thinks very highly of himself and has a chip on his shoulder that's keeping him from admitting that he might have screwed up...

Something is definitely wrong, and I tend to agree that it's the thermal paste (or even just a bad install, in general, especially if he didn't clean off the old thermal paste first).
August 31, 2012 11:49:48 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
What I think is that that guy thinks very highly of himself and has a chip on his shoulder that's keeping him from admitting that he might have screwed up...

Something is definitely wrong, and I tend to agree that it's the thermal paste (or even just a bad install, in general, especially if he didn't clean off the old thermal paste first).

when he applied it he made a big square of the paste around the CPU instead of putting a pellet sized drop in the middle. So basically picture a smaller square about a CM under the borders of a phenom II chip. do you think this is enough to cause over heating?

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 12:00:03 AM

vickus420 said:
when he applied it he made a big square of the paste around the CPU instead of putting a pellet sized drop in the middle. So basically picture a smaller square about a CM under the borders of a phenom II chip. do you think this is enough to cause over heating?

Yeah, that's definitely not the way I would do it. A square around the border like that can't be evenly distributed, I wouldn't think.

It sounds like the center has less paste than the edges (or none at all), which is completely ass backwards. And yes, that would certainly cause heat issues.
September 1, 2012 12:03:06 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, that's definitely not the way I would do it. A square around the border like that can't be evenly distributed, I wouldn't think.

It sounds like the center has less paste than the edges (or none at all), which is completely ass backwards. And yes, that would certainly cause heat issues.

ugh.. looks like I have to bring it back tomorrow -.- or go to another place and pay again to have it done right. But no there is lots of paste everywhere on it. It looks like icing lol.
September 1, 2012 12:32:13 AM

I just overclocked it to 3.8 ghz and it doesn't go passed 61 degrees celsius. is this stable?
September 1, 2012 3:54:33 AM

If you mind me giving an opinion. I've been years tinkering with an old Athlon64 x2 5200+ (yeah, first gen athlon, 65nm process) and what Ive learned is that with a big manufacturing process, 45nm in your case, you CANT aim for an overclock higher than 10% stock speed with a stock heatsink.

I dont have a Phenom II to try at the moment, but my take is that 3.8 is the higher you can get with a stock heatsink. Over that limit, the heat/ghz curve will be too steep to be efficient.

My suggestion to you is if you want to do it right, do it yourself. If you dont feel confident enough taking out your heatsink, ask for help and instruct them to use a small blob of paste. Get the whole area cleaned and reinstall without air bubbles in the midst. Then, and this is important, clear your CMOS/reset your whole BIOS. Dont move the vCore, just keep overclocking little by little. When get instability or you get 60º at full load, whichever comes first, stop overclocking.

And if you want another suggestion from me, get a new CPU heatsing. The one you said on the beggining is just.. bad. Your CPU is still very capable and if I were you, I'd look after its temps.

Cheers!
September 1, 2012 5:01:58 AM

60 CPU temp is fine. 60 core temp is high. Know the difference yo
September 1, 2012 11:32:35 AM

Best answer selected by vickus420.
!