My new build is crashing!... Help!

grimreaperpt

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Hey guys! I recently bought a new PC, except for the graphics card that i bought in November.
I'm a bit worried because this is my third day using it and it already crashed 2 times.
The crash consists on a very high pitched sound, the mouse stops working, and the system just stops responding. It happened yesterday while playing Skyrim, and it happened today while loading 3ds Max 2012.

I installed almost all windows updates, AVG free antivirus and an application that came with the motherboard called EasyTune 6. I'm aware that this application is used for overclocking, but at the moment it isn't overclocking i think. Do you think i should uninstall this?

Here are my specs:

CPU Intel 1155 i5 2500k (3,30GHZ)
Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHZ 16GB DDR3
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Seagate momentus XT 750GB (where I installed windows)
Asus HD6970 2GB

What do you guys think it may be?

[EDIT] So, the weirdest thing just happened (I don't know if it's related but may be relevant). I turned on the PC, but the power kept going down and up again, without doing that first beep sound or showing any kind of image... It only started after powering up and down for like 10 times.

check that your ram on the mb qal list. if it it toss up the spec of your ps. there are good one and one that your want to stay away from. also download cpu-z and gpu-z and hardware mon and look at your temps. the cpu at idle should be 30-50c depending on the temp and cooling of your case. most case and fans them in the 30-40 range. a lot of new builders and those sucky plastic intel heat sinks sometime they dont get the pins locked all the way down on the cpu. one way to test if it the hardware is run prime 95 and watch the temps and ps voltage if there an issue prime95 will force the ps to lock up.

grimreaperpt

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
it's a 700w modular power supply, i doubt it's the issue, because before the upgrade everything was working fine (before the upgrade I already had the power supply and the graphics card)

"700w modular psu", that tells us nothing.

What's the make and model?

A generic 700w psu may only put out 400w. Your components would need more than that to run properly.

Yes uninstall Easy Tune, if you overclock, you'll be overclocking through the bios, not some software utiliity.

grimreaperpt

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
It's a LC8700 (here are the specs http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/lafaller/Lafaller1/LC8700.jpg)

I already uninstalled Easy Tune, but i just had another crash, just like the others (this one was while playing Skyrim)

grimreaperpt

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

I just checked, it's between 49º-52º... Is that ok?

grimreaperpt

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

I'm sorry, I'm kind of new at this :sweat:
So i just ran Speedfan and the results are the following:
idle: GPU 35º - 39º; CPU (I assume CPU is core 0, core 1, core 2 and core 3) around 30º - 40º (all cores)

100% load (rendering a 3ds Max scene):
GPU is the same, around 38º, and CPU goes up to 75º, 83º

is it overheating?

grimreaperpt

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
So, the weirdest thing just happened (I don't know if it's related but may be relevant). I turned on the PC, but the power kept going down and up again, without doing that first beep sound or showing any kind of image... It only started after powering up and down for like 10 times.

grimreaperpt

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

It's not before, it's during the freeze, and it keeps going until I hit the reset button. It comes from the speakers, and yes, it does every time it freezes (or it's just a coincidence, i'm not sure...)

grimreaperpt

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Do you guys think it could be the PSU? I searched and found no good reviews about this model, and it's dated from 2007 (although I bought it 5 months ago and it was working fine...)

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

I think the PSU would be a likely suspect could be other things, but the high pitch whine is pointing at the PSU or the MB

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

yes the PSU was a prime suspect, but you must rule out other things first. A PSU is a pain to switch out if it is all wire tied in and you need to have one laying around or have to buy one. Switching out PSU, MB should be done after all else is rule out. Ram and GPUs are easy to swap out or test. as is heat testing the CPU (i still think it is a little high)

Just because it a a no name PSU doesn't automatically make it bad.

the high pitch sound is usually capacitor that is about to blow. which is either a PSU one or a MB one.

There's no doubt his cpu is overheating. I mean anything over 65c is overheating to me, and I would address it immediately.

I have even heard some people say their cpu made high pitch sounds. Maybe it's screaming in pain from a sunburn?

The fact of the matter is, the psu is the most important component in your system, and having a generic psu regulating a system like that is a shame. i wouldn't even trust it's current protections.