Sign in with
Your question

My new system is crashing!... Help!

Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2012 11:46:04 AM

Hey guys! I recently bought a new PC, except for the graphics card that i bought in November.
I'm a bit worried because this is my third day using it and it already crashed 2 times.
The crash consists on a very high pitched sound, the mouse stops working, and the system just stops responding. It happened yesterday while playing Skyrim, and it happened today while loading 3ds Max 2012.

I installed almost all windows updates, AVG free antivirus and an application that came with the motherboard called EasyTune 6. I'm aware that this application is used for overclocking, but at the moment it isn't overclocking i think. Do you think i should uninstall this?

Here are my specs:

CPU Intel 1155 i5 2500k (3,30GHZ)
Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHZ 16GB DDR3
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Seagate momentus XT 750GB (where I installed windows)
Asus HD6970 2GB

What do you guys think it may be?

More about : system crashing

a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2012 12:05:33 PM

since you have a lot of ram bump the voltage a little bit
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2012 1:00:43 PM

congrats on your new system. if you leave the case open, can you determine where the high pitch sound is emanating from? are the fans unobstructed and spinning okay? does the system report temperatures within acceptable parameters?
Related resources
May 14, 2012 1:26:42 PM

oh, the high pitch sound actually comes from the speakers itself (sorry i didn't mention that). It looks like the last bit of sound it was playing enters some kind of high pitched loop
May 31, 2012 8:59:40 PM

I have a the same CPU, RAM and Mobo as you do and I've had 3 very similar crashes within the space of 4 weeks. I've come across a lot of people complaining about freezing on the new GB Z77 boards, but it is supposed to be a problem with Ivy bridge CPU's.

My initial freeze occurred when opening a livestream channel, but I can replicate the freeze by playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution with a high internet usage. I've not had a freeze since I changed my power setting from balanced to performance, but multiple threads across the internet suggest increasing your BLCK to 100.10.

What BIOS version have you got installed?
May 31, 2012 10:00:38 PM

kaelonlloyd said:
I have a the same CPU, RAM and Mobo as you do and I've had 3 very similar crashes within the space of 4 weeks. I've come across a lot of people complaining about freezing on the new GB Z77 boards, but it is supposed to be a problem with Ivy bridge CPU's.

My initial freeze occurred when opening a livestream channel, but I can replicate the freeze by playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution with a high internet usage. I've not had a freeze since I changed my power setting from balanced to performance, but multiple threads across the internet suggest increasing your BLCK to 100.10.

What BIOS version have you got installed?

I just checked on SIW and it says my BIOS version is "F8". Is that correct?... :??: 
June 1, 2012 2:25:54 PM

kaelonlloyd said:
I'm also on BIOS F8, You could try updating it, there have been a few updates for this board.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Have you tried changing your power settings to performance mode? seemed to work for me.

Yeah that was actually one of the first things I done
June 1, 2012 2:31:55 PM

I have the same board I get similar problems. I'm running a 3570K with the Samsung Green RAM(8GB) and my system will just randomly freeze. It could happen after like 10 seconds or 10 minutes. I was just about to post a new thread about this but see that your problem is pretty similar.

The problem with my build is that when I first started up my computer, it would start and then almost immediately shut down. It wouldn't POST. Then all of a sudden it just turned on and said that the BIOS had been corrupted and that it was going to use the backup BIOS on this board. After it updated that, I installed Windows and checked the BIOS settings and went along my way only to run into constant freezing. It's done it probably 8 times since I built my rig yesterday.

So now I want to update my BIOS but I'm a little worried that something will go wrong while flashing the BIOS and I won't have a backup to use since I already had to use it. One of the features I liked about this board was the extra BIOS in case something bad were to happen while flashing. It sucks that I don't even get to realize that benefit because they sent me a board with a bad BIOS to begin with.

Anyways, you're not alone in this. It sounds like it's a problem with this board. If anything works for you please post what you did so others can try it out.

Lloyd, I'll try that performance mode trick after this thing freezes again. This is the longest it's gone without freezing so maybe it's worked its way through it.
June 1, 2012 4:21:55 PM

Ven1 Vid1 Vic1 said:
I have the same board I get similar problems. I'm running a 3570K with the Samsung Green RAM(8GB) and my system will just randomly freeze. It could happen after like 10 seconds or 10 minutes. I was just about to post a new thread about this but see that your problem is pretty similar.

The problem with my build is that when I first started up my computer, it would start and then almost immediately shut down. It wouldn't POST. Then all of a sudden it just turned on and said that the BIOS had been corrupted and that it was going to use the backup BIOS on this board. After it updated that, I installed Windows and checked the BIOS settings and went along my way only to run into constant freezing. It's done it probably 8 times since I built my rig yesterday.

So now I want to update my BIOS but I'm a little worried that something will go wrong while flashing the BIOS and I won't have a backup to use since I already had to use it. One of the features I liked about this board was the extra BIOS in case something bad were to happen while flashing. It sucks that I don't even get to realize that benefit because they sent me a board with a bad BIOS to begin with.

Anyways, you're not alone in this. It sounds like it's a problem with this board. If anything works for you please post what you did so others can try it out.

Lloyd, I'll try that performance mode trick after this thing freezes again. This is the longest it's gone without freezing so maybe it's worked its way through it.

Looks like your problem is worse than mine. My system crashes only 1 time per 2 days (something around that), and the last crash was 3 days ago, so it looks like it's getting better, which is weird because I done nothing about it.
June 1, 2012 5:18:33 PM

grimreaperpt said:
Looks like your problem is worse than mine. My system crashes only 1 time per 2 days (something around that), and the last crash was 3 days ago, so it looks like it's getting better, which is weird because I done nothing about it.

Hehe, mine is getting better as well *knock on wood*. It froze once when I first started it this morning and it hasn't done it since. I haven't changed anything. I'm still paranoid about it though and I haven't put it through it's paces with games or many programs so we'll see.
June 1, 2012 6:58:58 PM

@ Ven1 Vid1 Vic1
To fix this you just increase your BLCK to 100.10. This seems to work for a lot of people over the net. This seems to fix the freezing issues for people with Ivy Bridge CPU's.

Unfortunately my computer just froze again on me, I was once again able to replicate it straight after by running a game whilst access a youtube video. I've since updated my graphics, sound and WiFi card drivers. If it happens again, I will update my BIOS or RMA the board.
June 2, 2012 5:27:34 PM

kaelonlloyd said:
@ Ven1 Vid1 Vic1
To fix this you just increase your BLCK to 100.10. This seems to work for a lot of people over the net. This seems to fix the freezing issues for people with Ivy Bridge CPU's.

Unfortunately my computer just froze again on me, I was once again able to replicate it straight after by running a game whilst access a youtube video. I've since updated my graphics, sound and WiFi card drivers. If it happens again, I will update my BIOS or RMA the board.

Yeah, that caused big issues. The board came up with a prompt that said it wouldn't boot with that setting and I needed to go back into the BIOS and change it.

Regardless, the crashing got worse again and the computer just keeps crashing. I'm returning the board unless you guys think it could be something else?

I know the PSU works fine. It's working right now in my old system that actually uses more power than this new system. The only other thing I could think of would possibly be the RAM. It's brand new Samsung Green RAM that everyone keeps raving about. I'm not sure it's that though since others have had the same freezing problem with this board.

Thanks for the help.
June 3, 2012 12:56:54 PM

I've almost given up on this, The last fix that I'm trying is to disable the C6/C3 state in BIOS. Also I just want to add, that before I enabled this option I let the freeze go on for 10 seconds and it unfroze, not sure if it does this every time, but it's still not the perfect scenario.
June 3, 2012 4:08:04 PM

I was just going through the supported CPU list for the motherboard, and it says the 2500k was supported since bios version F10, So hopefully upgrading my bios will fix the problem.
June 3, 2012 5:04:30 PM

kaelonlloyd said:
I was just going through the supported CPU list for the motherboard, and it says the 2500k was supported since bios version F10, So hopefully upgrading my bios will fix the problem.

If I let the freeze go on for very long, it will eventually automatically shut down. I've come back to my computer many times now and it's shut down when I had left it on.

I would try updating my BIOS but I don't really think it's worth it. I've already lost one BIOS(was ruined before I even did anything) and I don't feel like possibly ruining the last one and then not being able to return it. I've already been approved for an RMA so it's time for a new brand of MB for me.

Good luck with your endeavors with this board.
June 3, 2012 5:34:29 PM

After the BIOS update to F13 two things happened;
1) A new piece of hardware was detected, the Intel PCI driver.
2) My BCLK is automatically 100.10, it was previously 100.26.
3) RAM clock is at 800Mhz (Correct) rather than my previous 802Mhz
4) My CPU temps are now 5-10 degrees lower

I have re-enabled C3/C6 and I shall post once again if it freezes, If nothing happens in a week I will happily say that the problem is fixed, else RMA.
June 3, 2012 7:21:43 PM

I guess I'll try to update my BIOS too. Just one newbie question: is it dangerous?
June 3, 2012 8:35:02 PM

grimreaperpt said:
I guess I'll try to update my BIOS too. Just one newbie question: is it dangerous?

It can be dangerous.

DON'T use @BIOS to update your bios, it might break your bios and prevent it from recovering.

If you update your bios using Q-Flash from within the bios you got little chance of failure as Gigabyte boards come with a second bios chip as a failsafe. Q-Flash is pretty straight forward, put your USB with the bios file in your computer at startup, press "END" at POST to enter Q-Flash (or enter bios and press F8), and follow the instructions.

I had a smalll problem with my windows after the bios upgrade, but windows recovery fixed that with ease.
June 4, 2012 5:40:07 PM

I just updated my BIOS using Q-Flash, and for now no freezes or crashes... yet.
The only thing that happened was when windows restarted, it reinstalled the sound card and some PCI drivers. And I think the sound volume is lower for some reason. I don't get it, I went to sounds, verified my speakers propreties and the levels are maximum, and I also disabled the "when windows detects communications activity". The sound is ok, it just seems like 10-20% lower...
June 5, 2012 5:41:42 PM

I just had another crash... Looks like the update did nothing :( 
June 6, 2012 12:21:36 AM

Was it the same crash? Is there a different event in windows event log?
June 6, 2012 4:36:46 PM

Exactly the same crash. I don't know what is "windows event log", but it seems windows doesn't recognize the crash, it just resets normally, except that part where it asks for "start windows normally" or the other options
June 6, 2012 5:36:04 PM

Press the windows orb, Right click 'Computer' and press manage. Press 'Event Viewer' on the right side of the window, then in the centre it will show recent events. You should have a critical event(s).

If you have a critical event from the source 'Kernel-Power', then it's the same type of crash. If you have any others, can you post them?

Also What Power Supply are you using?
June 6, 2012 5:58:48 PM

I only have one critical event, so it should be the same type of crash or "reset unexpectedly".

My power supply is a corsair TX750, but i changed it recently, and even with the old one I was having the exact same crashes
June 6, 2012 6:26:52 PM

You need to change your bios settings, It keeps the old settings from before a BIOS update, and it might be these causing the problem. Also when your in your BIOS you can check if your PSU is delivering the correct voltages.

To load the best settings for your BIOS first go into advanced view (F1), navigate to the 'peripherals' section and take note of the 'SATA mode selection', This dictates what type of drive you are using to boot windows. After that go to 'Save and Exit' and select 'Load Optimized Defaults' , before saving , go back to 'peripherals' and set 'SATA mode selection' back to what it was (I boot off a single sata harddrive, so I select 'AHCI')

Save and exit, but load back into the BIOS, navigate to 'PC health settings in the 'M.I.T' column and take note of the 12v and 3.3v voltages. They should be close to their respective value (Mine are + 0.1 higher).

June 6, 2012 6:45:59 PM

kaelonlloyd said:
You need to change your bios settings, It keeps the old settings from before a BIOS update, and it might be these causing the problem. Also when your in your BIOS you can check if your PSU is delivering the correct voltages.

To load the best settings for your BIOS first go into advanced view (F1), navigate to the 'peripherals' section and take note of the 'SATA mode selection', This dictates what type of drive you are using to boot windows. After that go to 'Save and Exit' and select 'Load Optimized Defaults' , before saving , go back to 'peripherals' and set 'SATA mode selection' back to what it was (I boot off a single sata harddrive, so I select 'AHCI')

Save and exit, but load back into the BIOS, navigate to 'PC health settings in the 'M.I.T' column and take note of the 12v and 3.3v voltages. They should be close to their respective value (Mine are + 0.1 higher).

Ok I just did that... Hope I have positive results!

The voltages are just close to their respective value so that is ok!
June 7, 2012 11:31:20 AM

Damn, I just had another crash :( 
So I guess it wasn't a BIOS config problem (or can it still be?)
June 7, 2012 11:33:59 AM

I doubt it's the BIOS then, I'm still anxiously waiting for my system to crash.

Do you know any sequence of events that will cause the crash with a 100% success rate?

June 7, 2012 12:43:42 PM

Not really, it normally crashes when I'm listening to music, but that's not 100% of the times. It already crashed after loading 3Ds max, and while playing Skyrim.

Also, it normally crashes after I turn on the PC. If it's turned on for several hours it NORMALLY doesn't crash.
June 7, 2012 12:49:27 PM

When you say it normally crashes after you turn on the PC, what time frame does it crash within; Does it crash during boot, POST or just after you log into windows?

This crash could be caused by a bad stick of RAM.
June 7, 2012 12:51:33 PM

After I log on into windows, but it can be 1 or 2 hours after
June 7, 2012 1:05:34 PM

The only two problems I can think of is that one of your RAM sticks/slots is faulty, or your hard drive has a bad sector.

To test your RAM you need to run Memtest+ for an hour or two (http://www.memtest.org/). If an error is found you will need to test one stick at a time to find out which stick(s) it is.

To check for bad sectors check this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/check-...

If neither of those bring up an error I'm stumped.

June 7, 2012 2:24:50 PM

I also noticed your RAM isn't running at full speed. They are currently running at 1333Mhz rather than 1600Mhz. To change this, go into your BIOS and find the RAM option to enable an XMP profile. It should should show 'profile1', select it and save, your RAM should run faster.

I don't imagine that this is a cause of the crash, but it's just something I think you should know.
June 8, 2012 12:26:26 PM

I already ran memtest and everything seems fine.
I was distracted during the C: error test which runs during the boot, it just ran (is it supposed to run normally even if there are errors?).

BUT there were errors on my other drive, G:, which I use for my documents and music, etc... And I remember that on my old computer I also used this drive for the same purpose and sometimes it took a long time to read pictures and itunes crashed a lot. The kind of crash is not the same but do you think it may be related?
June 8, 2012 1:16:29 PM

I would think that it is highly unlikely that the Harddrive is the cause; I've seen it happen before, but it was due heavy physical damage. It would crash when ever you try to access a specific file/directory if physical damage was the case.

Does it make any loud noises during read/write? How old is the drive?

You could try removing it for a while, but I personally don't think the situation would change.

You might want to check for a burst capacitor on your motherboard, Do you hear any high pitch noises coming from your computer? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague )

Has the system ever crashed when not using a graphically intensive program? The latest Adobe Flash update has been causing issues with Nvidia GPU cards with it's hardware acceleration, the same might have occurred with AMD cards.
June 9, 2012 6:39:13 PM

Okay, I just had a sort of crash.
Rather than the entire system freezing, It just slowed right down to the point that mu computer was unusable. Pressing the power button started the shutdown process and the computer sped back up.
This is the same behaviour of people on the net are having after the bios update. This crash replaces the freeze. So my problem is not fully fixed.

But there has been a new BIOS update since I last updated mine, It claims to improve CPU stability (F14).
June 9, 2012 6:50:51 PM

kaelonlloyd said:
I would think that it is highly unlikely that the Harddrive is the cause; I've seen it happen before, but it was due heavy physical damage. It would crash when ever you try to access a specific file/directory if physical damage was the case.

Does it make any loud noises during read/write? How old is the drive?

You could try removing it for a while, but I personally don't think the situation would change.

You might want to check for a burst capacitor on your motherboard, Do you hear any high pitch noises coming from your computer? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague )

Has the system ever crashed when not using a graphically intensive program? The latest Adobe Flash update has been causing issues with Nvidia GPU cards with it's hardware acceleration, the same might have occurred with AMD cards.

The hard drive doesn't make any loud noises. I'm not sure how old it is but I don't think it's very old. It has 500GB of disk space and it's 4 years old maximum.

I also don't hear any high pitch noises.

I don't think it ever crashed while idle, it's always running something, but I don't think iTunes is a graphically intensive program.
June 9, 2012 10:22:03 PM

I've given up on this motherboard. All I can suggest is to update the graphics driver just in case hardware acceleration is the problem.

The latest BIOS update is probably the best bet to fixing this problem, but I'm not going to bother, both the freezes and cold boot problems are really annoying me now.

Through my experience it seems to be the motherboard isn't controlling the voltage going to the CPU and PCI/PCI-E sockets correctly. I'm currently negotiating a motherboard swap to an ASRock Pro 3 Z77 under the claims that the product supplied is faulty.

This whole freezing problem is such a pain, It seems that most problems with all Ivy Bridge CPU's have been sorted, but Sandy Bridge has been left alone.
June 10, 2012 1:52:58 PM

It is frustrating, but do you think it's a problem of this exact model? Because i've been searching and found almost no claims about this motherboard.

Anyways, my system looks stable, it hasn't had a crash for 2 days now, but I'm not very confident... We'll see...
June 10, 2012 4:27:16 PM

I've seen numerous claims about the motherboard being the problem with the exact same problem existing on other gigabyte boards, but most people are experiencing problems with Ivy Bridge and not Sandy Bridge.

I also came across one thread with a user claiming that new gigabyte boards are having trouble with the 2500k specifically, but I don't know how correct the information was.

Do you have any PCI components such as a wireless card in your computer?
June 10, 2012 5:53:04 PM

No, just a sound card. Do you think it could be that? :p 
June 11, 2012 5:39:49 PM

Ok, so I just installed the new F14 BIOS update... Let's hope it fixes -_-

Anyways, I've come across this - http://i.imgur.com/1ENDg.jpg
It would be very unlikely, but do you think this can also be an issue?
June 12, 2012 1:57:34 PM

I gave up and swapped my motherboard out for an ASUS P8Z77-LX. The guys down my local computer shop said they have no idea what the cause could of been.

As for your unknown PCI device, I did have that before the F13 BIOS update, but after windows found drivers for it.
June 12, 2012 2:10:45 PM

kaelonlloyd said:
I gave up and swapped my motherboard out for an ASUS P8Z77-LX. The guys down my local computer shop said they have no idea what the cause could of been.

As for your unknown PCI device, I did have that before the F13 BIOS update, but after windows found drivers for it.

Maybe I'll just do the same! Is the price and performance similar?
Let me know if it runs ok ;) 
June 12, 2012 2:36:03 PM

I was going for the ASRock Pro 3 as it was the exact same price as the Z77 D3H, but after consulting a few technicians at my university (I'm surrounded by hundreds of them daily as I study computer science) they told me to avoid ASRock. I did some research and found ASUS to have little to no problems with freezing issues when compared to GigaByte and ASRock.

As i didn't want to faff around with potentially breaking my CPU, or voiding my warranty I paid £40 for the nice people at novatech to pop an SSD in and change my mobo.

Due to the warranty, It only cost me labour + the price difference between the boards (£20.01) + SSD cost.

I'm currently installing all the drivers and stuff, I will get back to you in 3 days or so, after I have put it through a fair amount of stress.

As for performance straight off the bat, ASUS offer extensive fan control :)  Something I wish I had on my GB board.
June 15, 2012 12:16:13 PM

So, how's the new motherboard working for you? :) 
June 15, 2012 3:20:31 PM

It's all working well. I am using the most recent BIOS update for my board and haven't ran into a problem.

The only notable difference is that the CPU runs with a BCLK of 100.3 with a 3 degree increase in temperature over the GB board.

!