Installed 12.2 = Xfire no longer working

jon_the_faun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I just installed the offical 12.2 drivers from the AMD website. When I restarted my system, GPU-Z reads it as "12.3", and Crossfire Disabled (yet it reads that my two 6970s are installed). CCC doesn't even provide the option to enable or disable crossfire. What's the dealio?

I'm going to reinstall the drivers. But its still an odd bit of stuff. This is - however- the first time I have installed the new drivers without uninstalling the old ones. Lately, when I uninstall the old drivers, my screen goes purple and black and is very difficult to navigate. I have to "guess" where buttons are on when attempting to install the new drivers.

So this time, after reading on a few forums that AMD's installer naturally overwrites the older drivers (only uninstall driver when trying to install an older driver), I attempted it. Could that be why its wrong? Do I really have to go through all that purple crap again just install a new driver?

Wow do people really still recommend that :pfff: Seriously always always uninstall first. AMD even put an uninstaller in the driver package, they don't do that for the hell of it.
I used to do it(just overwrite) way back, but started to run into issues with the HD series of cards and since then have always uninstalled.

Mactronix :)

jon_the_faun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Yeah, that's what I normally do too. Just uninstall with AMD feature.

But question: Do I have to reboot after uninstalling the drivers? Or I can I then install the new drivers immediately after uninstalling the old ones? I'd love to avoid having to reboot twice.

I always reboot but as rolli's experiences show there seems to be no 100% right and wrong way.

Mactronix :)

Of course if I ran into problems I would delete the drivers and reinstall but have never had to do it yet! I always download the drivers and save them to my temp folder and keep them there until replaced by a newer version that works. Not a really big workup to reinstall that way.

jon_the_faun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I'm a little worried now. I went back to 12.1, but I still can't enable CCC. A couple of days ago, a few pink bars on my CCC raised suspcion of card failure, but after reinstalling the 12.1 drivers, removing the cards, and then refastening them to the mobo, everything was back to normal. I even ran a 3dmark test and scored in the upper 9000 - almost 10000. So both 6970's were working. But its moody. I keep losing the option to enable crossfire and have to do some reboot, reinstall, or some other crap. I really don't know what the deal is.

jon_the_faun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Well, I replaced my two crossfire bridges with some spare ones I had in a box. Crossfire option has returned and GPU-Z reads (Enabled). Now, I can't reinstall 12.2, but isn't it odd that 12.2 reads 12.3 in GPU-Z? Could be something as minor as GPU-Z error because I see no other complaints about that driver. I haven't updated GPU-Z in a while and I know it wants me to update it cause it keeps nagging me. But the xfire issue has been resolved. Most likely a bridge issue.