Sign in with
Your question

Computer problem

Last response: in Components
August 31, 2012 9:55:45 PM

I have the dell i620-9095nbk core i5 8 gig rams 1tb hd, Well I was running stock psu with a 7750 but I saw the 660gtx come out and bought the zotac one cause it fits in the case real nice! So I got a psu as well corsair 750 modular Well I plugged it all in and it didn't power up.... so I assumed DOA but then I went to local place and bought a 850 Corsair non modular and low and behold..... still wont boot. but but but but I'm not done... stock psu boots still and the other two both boot in other computers and I know ive got everything hooked up so am I missing something?

More about : computer problem

a c 80 ) Power supply
August 31, 2012 11:41:17 PM

Well I hate to say this but with the description that you've given there has to be something your missing. My guess is that it's either the 24 pin motherboard connector or the cpu power connector.
Here's what I want you to do , do you know how to do the paper clip[ test? Where you take and straighten out a paper clip and then bend it in a U shape and take one end and put it in the green wires hole on the 24 pin connector and the other end on the black wires hole and the fan starts on hte psu.
So take the psu (one that your having trouble with) an connect the case fans and any thing else and do the paper clip test and see if the case fans turn on. If they do then take and plug the connector into the MB and see if it turns on.
Another thing that I was thinking of is the MB main connector a 20 or 24 pin and are the other computers the same.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 31, 2012 11:43:07 PM

Something is missing for sure.

I would try and find the difference in the connectors that you use on the stock PSU and the ones you use from the new PSU's.

There has to be something.
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2012 12:39:03 AM

all three psu are 24 pin sadly I'm thinking maybe my rig pulls more power than the other rigs so maybe the psu are doa :/  I didn't think about that lol... and yes all the fans go etc I tried that first lol but yeah both the 750 and 850 are the 4 pin cpu with +4 and 20+4 pin main
m
l
a c 80 ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 12:52:56 AM

A 750w and 850w have enough power to at least start up almost any computer unless both are doa , but if they can run the fans then they aren't completely doa.
m
l
!