Need help with GPU heatsinks

Dungeonscaper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hey everyone! I'm hoping you can help me set up my GPU heatsinks. Once these smaller heatsinks are on I will attach the main Accelero Xtreme Plus II cooling unit to the main die.

Here is the main board:
PhFx3.jpg

I have some possible configs for the large chips around the main die:

Config 1
ixKLJ.jpg

Config 2
y5hgU.jpg

As from above, I am not sure whether putting a large continuous heatsink over the chips would be better or worse than the singular heatsinks.
Here is my main challenge, getting the voltage regulator chips all heatsinked up:

Here are several small heatsinks at different angles:
qlBEF.jpg

Close-up of regulator chips
ud0ex.jpg

Regulators with heatsinks, safe?
wUFbi.jpg

I don't know if it's safe to use these heatsinks for the small chips... they should be alright as long as they don't touch other circuitry nearby? and with a few chips I have to move the heatsinks over a bit to get it to sit nicely due to other small chips.

I have just put the chips down with no paste for placement ideas only. I have thermal adhesive in a tube that came with the VR0002 heatsink set and some thermal glue that you make by mixing 2 bags of goop together which came from the Accelero Xtreme Plus II heatsink, in addition to some large, thin thermal pads which I can cut to size. I am not sure what would be the best thermal conductor to use for each chip, I also don't know if the paste is conductive or not, there are no warning about it in the instructions, I hope someone knows.

Thank you for any help!

Solution
Ok my friend Recon-uk is currently out of action for the forums but did give me some advice for you

Use what heatsinks fit right for the chips.

He has got the correct heatsinks on the Vram already, just continue placing the same ones on the ram chips.

The heatsinks in the 6th picture are covering the VRM's, they are perfectly fine, advise him to continue placing those heatsinks on the VRM's

Remove the strips from the Vram chips, he should use those invidual heatsinks for the Vram.

Those strips could go onto the VRM's fine, without issue.

Tell him to straighten his capacitor without damaging it.

Try and find a instruction set for that cooler and the GTX 280 online, this will help both of you progress more indepth...

Dungeonscaper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

rofl

Thanks I appreciate it. I choose this aftermarket cooler because from the reviews I've read it can be about 20c cooler.

Just to clarify all I am trying to do is find the right configuration of heatsinks and use the right thermal paste/ pads appropriately.

Ok my friend Recon-uk is currently out of action for the forums but did give me some advice for you

Use what heatsinks fit right for the chips.

He has got the correct heatsinks on the Vram already, just continue placing the same ones on the ram chips.

The heatsinks in the 6th picture are covering the VRM's, they are perfectly fine, advise him to continue placing those heatsinks on the VRM's

Remove the strips from the Vram chips, he should use those invidual heatsinks for the Vram.

Those strips could go onto the VRM's fine, without issue.

Tell him to straighten his capacitor without damaging it.

Try and find a instruction set for that cooler and the GTX 280 online, this will help both of you progress more indepth.

http://i45.tinypic.com/14uia75.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ms4w9k.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/28us2gx.jpg

Use thermal pads for the heatsinks on the PCB, then use thermal paste for the Main GPU heatsink.

Solution

Dungeonscaper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

Thanks a lot, that helped a ton. So thermal pads for all chips except main gpu? the intructions with my cooler says I can use the thermal adhesive it comes with. If I use the adhesive can I ever get the heatsinks off again? also which capacitor is crooked? Thanks Rock-dpm and Recon-UK

TRENDING THREADS