Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System switching of by itself while playing games!

Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2012 2:55:32 PM

I have the following rig and am having problem of the system switching of while playing high end games.

AMD Phenom2 X2-550(3.1 Ghz)
Asus M2N68-AM PLUS
3 GB DDR2 MEMORY
Nvidia GT240 1GB DDR3
Umax 600W Power Supply
Windows 7 Ultimate

I have recently changed the power supply unit but the problem hasn't been solved.The system runs for about 5-10 mins and then switches off.I live in India where the temp is running around 35-40 C.

Help Me
May 14, 2012 3:20:06 PM

keep an eye on your cpu and gpu temps i suspect something overheating
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:17:42 AM

download realtemp (google it) or hwmonitor by CPUID (google it) and see what temps you are running. If the CPU hits too high a temp the PC will shut down. Make sure you blow the dust out of your case and out of the CPU heatsink every once in a while. Make sure the CPU fan is spinning.

Also, there are a number of software fails that will cause the PC to shutdown. If you can isolate which game (or ALL games) causes the shutdown that would help.

Also, some power supplies are not stable at high temps. Try opening your case and having a fan blow on your PC. If the fails are jsut as often it's less likely it's a temp problem. If having a fan blowing into your PC fixes the problem then it's time to look into better case ventilation. there are lots of ways to stick fans in cases....
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2012 3:39:53 PM

tsnor said:
download realtemp (google it) or hwmonitor by CPUID (google it) and see what temps you are running. If the CPU hits too high a temp the PC will shut down. Make sure you blow the dust out of your case and out of the CPU heatsink every once in a while. Make sure the CPU fan is spinning.

Also, there are a number of software fails that will cause the PC to shutdown. If you can isolate which game (or ALL games) causes the shutdown that would help.

Also, some power supplies are not stable at high temps. Try opening your case and having a fan blow on your PC. If the fails are jsut as often it's less likely it's a temp problem. If having a fan blowing into your PC fixes the problem then it's time to look into better case ventilation. there are lots of ways to stick fans in cases....

++++++++++
I checked the temp of the Core and CPU.They are the ones causing the shutdown.I have installed additional fans also but the PC still switches off after5-10mins in case of Mass Effect-3.I have cleared the heatsink and cabinet of any dust particles but the temp quickly rises to about 80-90 C.
m
l

Best solution

May 15, 2012 11:33:50 PM

Normally this is the 'heat sink fan' losing contact with the CPU. The fix is to remove the HSF, clean the surface, apply new thermal material like 'artic silver'. You'll get back to normal temps right away.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Instructions online plus a load of videos avail on youtube.
May 25, 2012 2:35:06 PM

tsnor said:
Normally this is the 'heat sink fan' losing contact with the CPU. The fix is to remove the HSF, clean the surface, apply new thermal material like 'artic silver'. You'll get back to normal temps right away.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Instructions online plus a load of videos avail on youtube.

Cant find this product in India.....Some other help would be appreciated....
m
l
June 3, 2012 9:10:26 AM

Got the compound from a repair shop.....The PC is now running 20-30C cooler....No heating probs....Thnx guys for the help.....:) 
m
l
June 9, 2012 12:29:04 PM

Best answer selected by coolvirgo06.
m
l
!