i5 DOA or compatibility issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StickyNinjaz

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
I just purchased an Intel Core i5-3570K LGA1155 to replace my Pentium, the install went smooth but when powering on the motherborad speaker gives 4 beeps and won't boot. So I replaced the old CPU and everything works fine as before, as I was re-packaging the i5 with intent to return it as DOA I noticed a Compatibility Warning on the back of the box:

This processor requires a motherboard with the LGA1155 socket and requires specific chipset features to utilize integrated graphics or the processor unlocked features. Consult your motherboard manufacturer to verify compatibility

Now I'm wondering if my mobo lacks the 'chipset features' necessary to use the i5, despite being an Ivy Bridge LGA1155. Unfortunately I do not have documentation for my mobo as it was pulled from a Gateway desktop, and a Google search brings up little in the way of helpful results.

If the CPU is DOA I'd exchange it for a new one. If it's not compatible I'd get a new motherboard.

Current motherboard:
H61H2 ACPI x64 H61 Express

Current processor:
Pentium G630 Dual-Core

Solution
Yeah, it's just an incompatibility issue. If there is a BIOS update for that board, you need to reinstall the Pentium and update it.

If there isn't a BIOS update (possible, since it's a Gateway OEM board), then yes, you will need a new board.

The 3570K is almost definitely just fine, though.
Yeah, it's just an incompatibility issue. If there is a BIOS update for that board, you need to reinstall the Pentium and update it.

If there isn't a BIOS update (possible, since it's a Gateway OEM board), then yes, you will need a new board.

The 3570K is almost definitely just fine, though.

Solution
You should always write down your bios file number at the top of the post screen. Use the "pause" key and write it down. Then go to the cpu support section of your board's webpage and see if it supports the newer cpu. Your board may not. Z77 boards will support the 3570K without a bios flash and allow some overclocking.

StickyNinjaz

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

My BIOS number is P01.B2 dated 8/16/11, Gateway offers the same BIOS dated 11/21/11 for download, however the readme is simply BIOS update instructions and does not contain release notes nor mentions processor compatibility.

I suppose it's still worth a shot, since if it doesn't work I'd be getting a new motherboard anyways, but I'll wait for a reply before flashing the BIOS.

StickyNinjaz

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
I got to thinking, isn't the 3570k 3rd gen? Wouldn't a 2011 BIOS update pre-date the 3rd gen release? And would Intel (or Gateway for that mater) possibly have the foresight to release the update prior to the 3rd gen launch.

It seems like a long shot unless I got my facts wrong (which is likely, my head is spinning from all of today's googling).

Yep, I thought about that too. I don't think it'll work, for that reason alone, but it's still worth a shot, I guess.

StickyNinjaz

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Meh, I don't think I'm going to risk the BIOS flash.

I'm just going to start ordering the remaining parts for a complete custom build, that way I still have a decent PC while I'm building a better one. I'd hate to brick it and be stuck with my antique laptop for the duration of ordering and assembling everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.