badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
How can I fix damage from an overpowered GPU? My power supply seems to have created a problem with the GPU and making it produce strange static looking vertical lines on my screen...is there anyway to fix this without having to RMA the GPU? I have already replaced the power supply.

Specs:
Asus Rampage III Extreme
24GB Kingston HyperX T1 1600Mhz Ram
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
MSI HD 6950 2GB
Thermaltake Tough Power XT 1475w PSU (old PSU was a Silverstone Stryder 850w)
NZXT Switch 810 Black case
Intel Core i7 950 stock 3.07ghz

badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Card and cables were snug like an Alabama tick! Strange thing is the rig was working fine before I got the new case, in fact I was playing BF3 when the case got here in the mail.

D

Deleted member 217926

Silverstone power supplies are very good and Thermaltake tends to be somewhere between crap and dangerous. Also you need 550 watts at most for your computer. If you plan on adding a second card 700-750 watts.

Are you sure the Strider died or you just guessed and started replacing parts? Does not sound like a PSU problem to me it sounds more like the GPU is dying or was overclocked too far.

badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Well the problem I have is I bought a new case (NZXT Switch 810) and before I swapped that parts to the new case everything was working fine I even was playing Battlefield 3 but once everything was in the new case I booted up got to my desktop and everything froze but I could still move my mouse.

A few minutes later the system shutdown and I have had trouble since, like not being able to boot completely if at all and no video signal to my monitor!

I was told by NZXT that my PSU was at fault but it was working 20 minutes before just fine.

I thought it was my PSU also but now with the new PSU I still have the same issues and I don't have a second GPU to test either.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I assume you mean the BIOS switch for the motherboard. Correct? If so, had you OCed the GPU (video card) at all? If so, you have to reset it via Catalyst (or the other app you used to OC it).

dre2626

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
hey i had the exact same problem with my 4month old GTX 460 it was an intermittent problem ,i sent it back ....my pc reacted the same ,,,,the freezing and no display on start up ...1 day it refused to display anything so 1 week ago i sent it back i say you should send it , you aint gonna fix it its only gonna get worse ... i read up somewhere that ,that behavior is got to do with the vram but im not sure
cheers

D

Deleted member 217926

Sounds to me like you have a short somewhere. Try breadboarding your computer.

badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Sorry if this is a noob question but what is Breadboarding? I have tried to use different bios with the switch on the mobo and the GPU but with my system not able to boot completely I can't use the Catalyst. I do not OC my video cards if I OC its using the features on the mobo for the CPU like "CPU Level UP".