Pyrn

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hello, recently i have noticed a very large fps drop with my 6870, about a month ago i was running BFBC2, Assasins creed: revelations, Skyrim etc on medium/high graphics at 1080p with a nice stable high fps. but now i can only play on low and even then it gets very choppy when there is explosions, big effects, fire etc. im not sure what exactly sarted it, i used to use 11.11a but i got some really bad stuttering and ever since then i have had bad fps, even when i went back to 11.11a (and the stuttering came back)

I really hope somebody can help, its really ruining my gaming experience. oh and here are some other specs if you need them

i5-2500k @4.2Ghz
8GB G-skill ripjawsx 1600Mhz
MSI P67A-G45

Thank you in advance

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

don't worry about it man i have a 6870 here to...

good news: this is just your card, theres nothing wrong with anything else.

bad news: i have no idea how to fix this i personally have tried everything i could!

let me guess, your seeing this to in skyrim? http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/486626526029393709/B8FD4BEF4D4BCACE6A20A699D9ACC439C880910D/

all i can say is never buy another xfx/amd product again because im not lol

i guess all of us 6870 owners are just to have to wait it out...if you find a fix message me ill do the same for you im currently trying to figure out whats wrong

Pyrn

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
As far as i am aware the Skyrim texture problem is a problem with 12.3 catalyst, not the card model

the only reason i have AMD is because i have had to RMA two GTX 460s in 3 weeks, so i said screw it and got this, its been fantastic until this

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

are you sure your framerate is dropping? try running FRAPS when playing your games...

with my 6870 im running games at like 45 fps and they are stuttering all over the place

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Perhaps it's time to clean your system of resource wasting crap and registry errors. Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both. Defrag, re-boot.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

If that alone doesn't help, uninstall the graphics driver, run Driver Sweeper from Safe Mode and remove any AMD (and Nvidia) graphics driver remnants it finds. Re-boot, and install the latest driver for your card and O/S.
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

if the stuttering persists would you say that this is a motherboard problem or cpu problem? im at a loss i already ran dxdiag and windows memory diagnostic and no problems have been found.

does stuttering at a high framerate in a singleplayer game sound like its just a graphics card problem to you, or do you think it could be something else?

i already went through 2 monitors, 2 hdmi cords, and i tried 3 mice. Still stutters.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I don't think it's either one; board or CPU. The mid-range AMD cards are somewhat known for stuttering issues in certain games. (When paired up in Xfire, it gets even worse. I know, I had two HD 6850s) It's generally thought to be a driver issue. I would be sure the latest drivers are in use and don't forget to install the latest application profiles.

Does it occur in just a few games?

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

it happens in all games slightly but is the most noteable in certain games (skyrim, the witcher 2, league of legends, bf3, just cause 2, fallout 3)

Yeah, league of legends. And in crysis it doesn't happen at all :pt1cable: its crazy!

Pyrn

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

For me, league of legends is one of the few games i never got any stutter in at all, and it still runs perfectly now

I had already done a driver sweeper, defrag and all that a few days ago, last night i just re seated EVERYTHING at the problems seems to have gone, i cleaned my whole pc up, all the connections and such. My guess was possibly that one of the 6-pin power cables wasnt plugged in, although i cant know for sure. thanks anyway guys, i hope some other peoples similiar problems are helped by this