Laptop graphics

scottiemedic

Distinguished
I put this originally and got no replies, maybe some peeps here will know the answer(s).

I'm thinking about replacing my aging Dell 1525. I know pretty much what I want for a laptop, but I want some opinions on graphics chipsets.

Are AMD or nVidia graphics better for light gaming in a laptop?
Are there any chips I should heavily consider?
Are there chips I should stay away from?
Any brands I should consider or stay away from?

I'll get an i5 or i7 CPU based on cost comparison and features (like HDMI, HDD size, SSD/HDD combos, etc)

Thanks!

Solution
You can definitely get Intel i7 and fast middle range mobile GPU with that price. Even a gaming one:

http://www.xoticpc.com/force-16f2012-msi-16f2-p-3376.html?wconfigure=yes

But then you need to add $73 for an i7 (the 2630QM) and have to add OS. You can get W7 HP OEM from newegg for $79.99 (read area51reopened's post). So total of about $1120. Of course if you already have W7 around, you don't have to buy the OS or if you don't have OS and have to buy it but don't mind i5, that laptop will only be very slightly over your budget.

jjack339

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
for light gaming get an AMD Laptop with an A6 or A8 APU.

For a reference the A6 build I was messing around with in staples scored 6.1 in destop graphics and 6.7 in gaming graphics on WE. Not amazing, but adaquete for moderate gaming, and since you said you only cared about light gaming this should be good.

It was an HP forgot the model but it was a 15inch for 499. Almost bought one for my wife (she does movies and AdobeSuite)

scottiemedic

Distinguished
It absolutely has to be Intel. I guess I should have been more specific. It will be my primary used machine so it has to be good, plus I want to have gaming ability (so no Intel HD). I just need to know what GPUs are good in laptops.

You can definitely get Intel i7 and fast middle range mobile GPU with that price. Even a gaming one:

http://www.xoticpc.com/force-16f2012-msi-16f2-p-3376.html?wconfigure=yes

But then you need to add $73 for an i7 (the 2630QM) and have to add OS. You can get W7 HP OEM from newegg for $79.99 (read area51reopened's post). So total of about $1120. Of course if you already have W7 around, you don't have to buy the OS or if you don't have OS and have to buy it but don't mind i5, that laptop will only be very slightly over your budget.

Solution