Need help improving machine on a budget

captainvera

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi,

My friend is trying to improve his old machine to play modern games, his specs are:

Pentium 4 @ 2.8 ghz

1 gb ddr1 or ddr2 I'm not sure...

A nvidia geforce 6200

Is budget is 128$ but I think I can make him extend it a bit...

He plays at 1280*800

My thoughts would be getting a 4gb ddr3 ram stick and some old GPU, the problem is I'm not familiar with old GPU models, only the last generations....

getting a ddr 3 stick for his ddr1 motherboard will do absolutely nothing as his motherboard won't be able to use it.

Same with GPU, without knowing what his motherboard is or PSU there's nothing much to recommend.

find out the motherboard make and model and PSU make and model.

captainvera

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

How can I find that? Sry for the noob question...

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

^+1

He would be throwing $128 away.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Yep, there is no beneficial upgrade path for that PC. Even a cheapo 200 or 300 barebones or subsidized system would be a better investment.

A brebones system will still require you to drop another $200-300 on CPU, RAM, vid card etc etc. Can MAYBE put together an APU base system for $350 but youd be scraping the bottom of the barrel. Tell your friend to save his money towards a proper upgrade and not screw around replacing bits and pieces on a 8 year old PC.

More opinions about what? A barebones system is just that, barebones. It isnt complete, itll still need him to buy more hardware. And at you price point, it isnt going to happen. Thats why there hasnt been anymore responses.