Sign in with
Your question

Accident during heatsink install. Need opinions.

Last response: in CPUs
September 1, 2012 1:14:56 AM

So after recieving my FX 8150 and 212 Evo i went about installing it.

I threw in the CPU, put a pea sized dab of AS5 on it, and place the 212 Evo on the CPU. WHile i was trying to 'set' the cooler, i accidently lifted it off the CPU then put it back down on. I continued the install and booted her up. Everything looks good to me.

After 30 minutes of prime95 i maxed at 36 degrees on core temp (stock speeds). So should i be worried about potential air bubbles from my accidental lift off during installation, or should i not worry about it?

Thanks in advance. :) 
a c 218 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 1:26:20 AM

Unless you don't have any more AS5 then you can always redo it and then you won't have to worry about it. I'm pretty sure that there could be an air bubble there somewhere so redoing the install isn't that much work and you'll hve peace of mind instead of always wondering.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 1:26:39 AM

Hi :) 

No, its fine...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 124 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 1:33:55 AM

Bran187 said:
After 30 minutes of prime95 i maxed at 36 degrees on core temp (stock speeds). So should i be worried about potential air bubbles from my accidental lift off during installation, or should i not worry about it?

The EVO212 may be good but I doubt it is good enough to keep a 8150 at 36C under Prime95... unless your room temperature is something like 10-15C.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 1:53:42 AM

the prime95 temperatures during load are questionable. unless you live in a sub standard temperature area.
m
l
a c 124 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 1:58:15 AM

dudewitbow said:
unless you live in a sub standard temperature area.

Or he set his air conditioning to simulate arctic summer temperatures.
m
l
September 1, 2012 1:59:49 AM

What other programs do you recomend to monitor temps? It also says im idling at 15 degrees. So yeah. I thought it sounded a bit off.

Keep in mind though, that is with the side of the case off and a crazy ultra kaze case fan in the back. Im sure it will go up with the side on.
m
l
a c 124 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 2:10:10 AM

Bran187 said:
Keep in mind though, that is with the side of the case off

Even if you have a 2000CFM fan blowing through your PC, it is impossible to cool stuff lower than ambient with airflow alone. If you see software report 15C temperature when your room is 30C, you know for sure the software is reporting a bogus value either due to software misinterpretation, calibration error or hardware problem.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 2:11:22 AM

I agree with the above. Unless you're doing below-ambient cooling, you won't able to achieve temperatures like the ones OP have stated...

On a side note, does anyone know if the temperature sensors on the FX series are still bugged? I remember they had an issue awhile back where some FX chips reported idle temps of 4C :sarcastic: 
m
l
September 1, 2012 2:13:30 AM

Awesome, thanks guys. I thought that seemed low. I thought maybe my new case fans, the evo and AS5 might just be that good. lol I will try Cpuid and report back.
m
l
September 1, 2012 2:18:06 AM

It's fine, the same happened to me with my 955be and the same air cooler, actually twice lol. It tends to happen since the thermal paste happens to be "sticky" . Good luck!
m
l
September 1, 2012 2:22:42 AM

davemaster84 said:
It's fine, the same happened to me with my 955be and the same air cooler, actually twice lol. It tends to happen since the thermal paste happens to be "sticky" . Good luck!

I actaully think i did it with my 955 as well. lol But i just wanted to check.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Now i just need to find out what my real temps are. lol
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 2:29:30 AM

Don't take this as absolute gospel, but just from what I've seen in my time around here, you should add around 15-20C to the temps you see with the AMD CPU's that report low like that.

Failing that, HWMonitor should give you something close with one of the TMPIN readings (probably TMPIN0 or TMPIN1, after seeing someone else have luck with that).
m
l
September 1, 2012 4:23:51 AM

HWMonitor is giving me idle temps of 17 degrees... :(  I have no clue whats going on. Ambient in my room right now is 21 degrees... Im really confused.

Really dumb question. So with the weather there is wind chill factor which 'adjusts' the temperature based on how fast the wind is blowing. Its not really that temperature it just feels like that temperature with the wind blowing fast.

Is it possible that instead of the actual temp its reading something simir to what wind chill would be in the world of weather. I mean that Ultra Kaze fan i just put in feels like a jet turbine. Its really blowing, is it possible its courupting the reading?
m
l
September 1, 2012 4:25:24 AM

Wait on HWMonitor should i be looking at the....

Value, Min or Mac colum?

Cause if its the max colum my temps are 24.6 degrees celsius. Which is slightly above ambient... Still confused. lol
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 4:27:02 AM

Bran187 said:
Really dumb question. So with the weather there is wind chill factor which 'adjusts' the temperature based on how fast the wind is blowing. Its not really that temperature it just feels like that temperature with the wind blowing fast.

Is it possible that instead of the actual temp its reading something simir to what wind chill would be in the world of weather. I mean that Ultra Kaze fan i just put in feels like a jet turbine. Its really blowing, is it possible its courupting the reading?

LOL, Nah, that wouldn't have anything to do with it. The problem is that hardly any programs read the temps correctly for lot of the newer AMD CPU's (may be a chipset thing, though, and not a CPU thing).

AMD Overdrive or software that came with the motherboard might, though.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 4:28:35 AM

Bran187 said:
Wait on HWMonitor should i be looking at the....

Value, Min or Mac colum?

Cause if its the max colum my temps are 24.6 degrees celsius. Which is slightly above ambient... Still confused. lol

Yeah, that's still not right, since the max should be well above ambient, unless you have a sub ambient cooling solution (like chilled water).

Value is the actual current reading, though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 4:34:31 AM

value is the current value
minimum is the lowest temp recorded since the program was opened
max (also know as mac :p  ) is the highest temp recorded since the program was opened

This is a common problem with a ton of motherboards, and some CPUs where they either give bogus temps (like 0 or 255), or they are miscalibrated and are simply off by 10-15 degrees. It sounds like you are off by a few degrees, and that everything seems to be working properly other than that (which is not your fault to begin with).

As a side note: First custom cooler I installed on a rig I somehow got thermal paste on the under-side of the CPU and did not know it. The computer simply did not turn on, and I got all annoyed and frustrated because I didn't know what had happened (I never removed the CPU so I didn't think any paste COULD get under there). After a week or so I finally took the whole system apart to try and look over it with a fine toothed comb because I thought that perhaps I had cracked the mobo, or knocked a part off or something. Lo and Behold, there was the smallest bit of paste on the under side of the CPU. I wiped it off with a soft cloth, put it back in, overclocked it, and now 5 years later it is still in use. Scared me for a while, but it is good to know that it is harder to kill things than one might think.
m
l
September 1, 2012 4:38:40 AM

I'll give overdrive a try. lol Makes me wonder what my 955 was really running at when i had it overclocked running near maximum temps. lol That thing probably would have fried had i left it there much longer. XD

So do you think with my cooler, and my awesome new case fans, plus AS5 im probably within safe temps? Im not gonna OC till i know my temps for sure, but you guys think im probably good at stock? Should I run an 6-8 hour prime run just to make sure?

EDIT: Also anyone else agree that im probably OK even with my accidental lift off during heat sink install?

Thanks guys you have been awesome. :) 
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 4:38:59 AM

Assuming that your real temp in your Prime 95 run was something around 45-50C (which I suspect so, although it might have been as high as 55C), then yeah, that temp is fine.
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 4:47:33 AM

Bran187 said:
HWMonitor is giving me idle temps of 17 degrees... :(  I have no clue whats going on. Ambient in my room right now is 21 degrees... Im really confused.

Wind chill only affects people.
m
l
September 1, 2012 4:49:13 AM

inzone said:
Wind chill only affects people.

Haha, yeah....

Like i said, really dumb question. That was me pulling something out of my ass to try to explain the unknown. Kinda like how the rain is Gods tears... :wahoo: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 4:51:29 AM

... I was always told that rain was angels spitting on us...
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 4:55:04 AM

Well , it never rains in Southern California.
m
l
September 1, 2012 4:58:51 AM

Ok so overdrive has my idle at 20.1 lol Not gonna mess with overclocking for a while. XD
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 5:08:05 AM

It would however be interesting to see what the temps are with overclocking.
m
l
September 1, 2012 5:13:22 AM

inzone said:
It would however be interesting to see what the temps are with overclocking.

I am going unplug my exhaust fan, see what my temps read and report back. Probably wont make much of a difference. But with my 955 the temps seemed about right. The only differences between this and my 955 are the new case fan and AS5. It could be a problem/conflict with the 8150 but im going to try anyway.

Could a bios update possibly fix the problem?

I was going to update my bios before install (my mobo needed to be at a certain bios to support FX CPU's.) but i had the oldest version that supported FX so i didn't bother updating. Possibility maybe? IDK im grasping for straws. lol
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 5:15:08 AM

Generally, updating the BIOS isn't recommended unless you have to (because a bad flash can brick the board, as I'm guessing you may know), but in this situation, it might be worth a shot, at least.
m
l
September 1, 2012 5:20:07 AM

Without my super awesome (and loud) new case fan not plugged in im getting 21.6 degrees accross all 3 programs. lol
m
l
September 1, 2012 5:54:03 AM

In HW Monitor should i be looking at CPU temp or the individual core temps for the CPU?

Here is my most up to date readings for everything in every program. lol

Bios (Im assuming this is idle): 40-41 (Jumps back and forth)
HWMonitor: CPU 39
Cores 19
Speedfan: 39
CoreTemp: 19
AMDOverdrive: 18.6

m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 5:54:09 AM

Bran, though you did a good job, perhaps next time if you yourself or assist in another build, can think about doing what you did with the same amount of paste (pea sized) and use glad rap on your finger to spread out.

I’m not confident allowing only compression applied from installing the heatsink to spread the paste.

I've done it this way using glad rap and im happy with the end result of the paste looking evenly spread out and smooth before putting the heatsink on.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 5:58:18 AM

Bran187 said:
In HW Monitor should i be looking at CPU temp or the individual core temps for the CPU?

Here is my most up to date readings for everything in every program. lol

Bios (Im assuming this is idle): 40-41 (Jumps back and forth)
HWMonitor: CPU 39
Cores 19
Speedfan: 39
CoreTemp: 19
AMDOverdrive: 18.6

I'd say that CPU is closer to correct, but that actually seems a little warm with a 212 Evo (not that idle temps really matter).

What does "CPU" say for the load temp?
m
l
September 1, 2012 6:08:43 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I'd say that CPU is closer to correct, but that actually seems a little warm with a 212 Evo (not that idle temps really matter).

What does "CPU" say for the load temp?

Load temps:

CPU: 58-59 jumping back and forth. Thats with both speedfan and HWMonitor.
Core temps (using all the programs listed) between 37 and 38.

Your right about those temps being a bit high. And if those load temps are right, thats on 2-3 degrees under the maximum safe temp. God i can't make heads or tails of this.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 6:14:20 AM

Yeah, this is definitely a bit frustrating...

Since the CPU temp rose in way that I would expect it to, I'm gonna go ahead and say that that's the "right" one (and it would make my theory of a +20C offset for the core temps correct), but now, we have the issue of being warmer than expected, lol.

I don't know what else that temp could be, and it's actually giving believable temps, so it just makes sense that it's the one to go by, but I kind of don't want it to be now, lol.
m
l
September 1, 2012 6:24:49 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, this is definitely a bit frustrating...

Since the CPU temp rose in way that I would expect it to, I'm gonna go ahead and say that that's the "right" one (and it would make my theory of a +20C offset for the core temps correct), but now, we have the issue of being warmer than expected, lol.

I don't know what else that temp could be, and it's actually giving believable temps, so it just makes sense that it's the one to go by, but I kind of don't want it to be now, lol.

Lol i know, i want it to go back to thinking it was 14 idle. XD

Well i am going to call it a night. I have to work early tomorrow so i will update tomorrow. I have read that AS5 doesn't fully work at its maximum capacity for 24 hours. This could just be BS but like i say i have to let RL do its thing for a few hours anyway. lol

If my temps are in the same range tomorrow, i will report back here and probably re do the AS5. That would put my mind at ease about lifting off and re setting and also will let us know if i just goofed off the thermal paste causeing the (what we think are the accurate temperatures) to be a bit high.

So yeah if its still this high tomorrow, i will redo the thermal paste. That solves the original problem of this thread and will help us narrow down the possible problems. Win win in my book.

Thanks everyone for all your input tonight. Will report back tomorrow. :)  Cheers.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 12:20:18 PM

Ya, the curing of the AS5 will bring it down, but only by 1-2*c, so I would go ahead and redo the paste without lifting the cooler this time. Pre-spreading the paste with some wrap or a vinal glove can be good to try as well, and I have had some of my best results with that method.

Check your fan speeds and see about cranking up the cooler a little. I was actually very disappointed with the stock fan on my 212 Evo and ended up replacing it with 2 much quieter Enermax fans in a push/pull configuration which got me the temps I wanted with idle 2*c above ambient, and a load temp of 37*c. Before the fan change the stock fan had a faint grinding noise, and I was getting load temps in the low 50's which was not that much better than the stock Intel cooler.
m
l
September 1, 2012 1:15:55 PM

Just i quick update. This morning im getting 35 for CPU. Although ambient is down a few degrees being early morning so that could be it.

Under load she got up to 58.

So yeah i think im gonna redo the AS5 after work, i'll try spreading method that has been suggested to me several times this thread. :) 

Can you put any fan on the 212 EVO. I bought 2 of those 3000rpm ultrakaze fans (one for intake one for exhaust) but the intake wouldn't fit under the front bezel. So using my second one to cool my CPU would be a awesome. lol Its a 120x38 though so its about double the width of the stock fan and a bit heavier as well.

More updates after work. Thanks again everyone. :) 
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 2:25:58 PM

Yes you can put different fans on in replacement for better cfm and cooling power.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 10:34:30 PM

by default it will fit 120x120x25 fans which is a very standard size, I am sure you could fit a thicker fan on there with a little bit of elbow grease and zip ties, but I am getting more than sufficient cooling with 2 silent 800rpm fans, so those kaze fans may be a bit overkill... and loud
m
l
September 1, 2012 11:04:19 PM

CaedenV said:
by default it will fit 120x120x25 fans which is a very standard size, I am sure you could fit a thicker fan on there with a little bit of elbow grease and zip ties, but I am getting more than sufficient cooling with 2 silent 800rpm fans, so those kaze fans may be a bit overkill... and loud

Haha, yeah just the one is loud. Two would be.... yeah. Still think i might try it though, haha. Alright, im home from work and about to go redo the thermal paste. I will be back with updated temps a bit later. :) 
m
l
September 2, 2012 1:51:24 AM

Alright guys. After reinstalling the heatsink and re applying the AS5. MY idle temp is down to 34 (alot better then 39) (im guessing after the AS5 cures it will be more like 31-32ish? and load temps are 54. Im hoping that will also drop a degree or two ofter the AS5 cures.

Also, i put the second ultra kaze fan on the 212 Evo. lol I have crazy airflow in my case now.
m
l
a c 124 à CPUs
September 2, 2012 2:12:55 AM

Bran187 said:
Also, i put the second ultra kaze fan on the 212 Evo. lol I have crazy airflow in my case now.

Was that before or after re-doing the paste?

If you put the 2nd fan on before testing with the new paste job then most of the improvement may be attributable to the extra fan.
m
l
September 2, 2012 2:40:09 AM

InvalidError said:
Was that before or after re-doing the paste?

If you put the 2nd fan on before testing with the new paste job then most of the improvement may be attributable to the extra fan.

Yeah i thought about that after the fact. lol Also temps went up abit when i left prime running. 57. Although im still not convinced those are right. The individual core temps stop going up WAY before the CPU temp stops. So i think that that temp is the socket in the Mobo rather then the actual CPU/CPU's cores.

Im going to message AMD Tech support and see what they think.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 2, 2012 2:46:20 AM

Bran187 said:
So i think that that temp is the socket in the Mobo rather then the actual CPU/CPU's cores.

I agree with that. It's definitely not the core temp (and probably not a sensor on the IHS, either), but it's more likely that it's the socket temp.

Either way, it seems to be the most accurate and the one that's most believable.

I'll be interested to hear if AMD has any suggestions to determine the correct core temps, though.
m
l
September 2, 2012 4:10:26 AM

Well im just going to assume that that temp is fairly close to accurate. I highly doubt its higher then that, everywhere i have read says the socket (aka the temp we have decided to call 'acurate') is generally 5-10 degrees higher then the actually temp of the CPU/CPUCores. So if i go with that number i should technically be playing it safe.

I'll wait till the AS5 cures. Give my temps again, and then decide if im going to try to OC her.

What keeps getting me, is that I just have a hard time believing the temps are so high with AS5, the 212 evo, ambient of 21, and two ultra kazes in the case (one of which is cooling the 212 lol)

Hopefully AMD support will shed some light on the situation.
m
l
September 3, 2012 6:47:11 AM

Hey so i just found this thread....

http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/amd-temp-information...

So according to this, the readings for the CPU cores are not accurate until they reach approximatly 45 degrees, and that the CPU temp is more accurate when idle but is off by up to 7 degrees when under load.

What do you guys make of it?

Also if there is a rule about linking to outside threads/articles, please let me know. I will gladly edit my post if i am breaking any rules. :) 
m
l
September 3, 2012 7:11:21 AM

Personally, I drop a slightly smaller than pea sized dot in the middle of the CPU, wrap a sandwich baggy around a finger and gently spread the paste evenly all around the heatspreader, not too thick or thin. An even layer. Then you slap the cooler on, give it a twist or so when you are putting in place (don't worry, some wriggle is OK) and you are done. The most accurate temp monitor I've found is HWInfo. Give it 10min under load for your typical programs and check the temps.
m
l
September 3, 2012 7:16:01 AM

Smeg45 said:
Personally, I drop a slightly smaller than pea sized dot in the middle of the CPU, wrap a sandwich baggy around a finger and gently spread the paste evenly all around the heatspreader, not too thick or thin. An even layer. Then you slap the cooler on, give it a twist or so when you are putting in place (don't worry, some wriggle is OK) and you are done. The most accurate temp monitor I've found is HWInfo. Give it 10min under load for your typical programs and check the temps.

Yeah thats what i did the second time around. :)  Worked great, and i could tell from removing the heatsink to clean it for the repaste, that this method definatly spreads more evenly and more accuratly.
m
l
!