Need help diagnosing if my motherboard is bad or something else.

dsrtlzrd32

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Hello,

Here is my computer, temperatures, and voltages (according to my bios) when it is running.

Case: Raidmax Blackstorm
Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h
CPU: Ivy bridge i5 3570k
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Ram: 16GB G-skill ripjaw 1600 DDR3
SSD: Samsung 830
Blu-Ray: LG blu-ray
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 watt
Graphics: Using the onboard graphics (Intel HD 4000) until I get a stable system (have a Geforce 670 being shipped)

Cpu temp:31
PCH Temp:58
System Temp: 36

CPU vcore: 1.140 V
Dram Voltage: 1.536 V
+3.3V: 3.344V
+12V: 12.312 V

CPU frequency: 3831.21 MHz
BCLK: 100.91MHz
Memory frequency: 1345.45 Mhz
Total Memory Size: 16384
Here is my problem. I have just bought all the parts for a new computer (my second build). I installed all of the parts and everything started up fine on the first boot. During the intallation of windows 7 the computer just shut down. I restarted the computer and the os finished installing.

I have since been able to start and shutdown the computer successfully but started to notice that sometimes the system would just freeze completely or shutdown altogether. It became more and more frequent and I began troubleshooting it.

I suspect I have a short somewhere causing this. I looked through the forums here and went down to just a breadboard system thinking maybe one of the mobo screws was causing it. With just the Motherboard, cpu, keyboard, monitor and memory installed, the system is still just shutting off or freezing in bios. I tested it with my new power supply and an old power supply I know works good but got the same results with both psu.

I have tried to do run a memory test from a ubuntu disk but the system shuts down before it can complete. The farthest I have gotten was about 65% done with no errors found in the memory.

I do not think the memory would cause the whole system to shutdown but I could be wrong. The memory is 1600 memory and is not on the supported memory list for the board (dummy me did not think to look before I bought) so it runs at 1333. Now from what I have read on these forums is that since it is not on the supported list, I just wont get the 1600 speed out of my memory but should still be able to use it just fine. Is this correct or could this be my issue?

I guess I am thinking it may be time to rma the motherboard but I wanted to ask your expertise to see if you think the motherboard is the problem or if there is a possibility it is something else, and how I might be able to test to know for sure. Could it be the processor or memory?

Thanks for any help, I have been trying to figure this out since last wednesday with no success. I could write more on all the things I have tried but testing is difficult because sometimes it runs for an hour or two before giving me a problem (although lately it has been withing a half hour).

Solution
Memtest is probably the best and most efficient way to test your memory without having to spend tons of money on testing equipment. I been using it to test out my builds for as long as I can remember and its pretty reliable. It doesn't gaurantee that the mem modules won't eventually go bad but if you ever think your memory is bad its a good tool to use.

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
First off try running it in default settings. Stock clock and stock memory settings. You may have to enter it manually in the bios based off the memory specs. If it still fails from that point, you'll probably have to start doing the process of elimination. First try exchanging the memory for one listed on your mobos QVC list. Your right as far as how it suppose to perform but at this point we just want to get your system stable. If it's still the same RMA the mobo and hopefully that resolves your issue.

dsrtlzrd32

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Ok, I have tried the default bios and let the bios set the optimized settings (which appears to be the same as the default). I have not tried any overclocking or changing much in the bios. The only thing I have changed myself at one point was to set the memory multiplier to a pre-saved "profile 1" which bumps up the multiplier to 16 to try to get the 1600 mhz out of the memory but it still kept it at 1333. Is there anything else I should try to manually type in?

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
No you shouldn't have to. Try running it now and see if windows is still shutting down on you.

If it runs fine then your hardware is probably okay. Try running Memtest and aida64 to see if your mem modules and board are okay.

If it continues to shutdown on you, take out two sticks of memory and try it from there until your testing down to 1 stick at a time. If the problem still persists then I would advise exchanging the memory kit first then lastly RMA the board.

Sorry for the late reply im lunchtime at work.

dsrtlzrd32

Honorable
May 12, 2012

Thanks for the help, I ended up finding out that gigabyte just released a new bios update that dealt with compatibility issues. I risked installing the bios, and luckily made it through the update. I then was able to get through a whole memtest on the ram. It passed without any errors. But I still ended up having the computer freeze and shutdown again. I called gigabyte tech support and they told me they did not believe the processor or the memory modules would cause the system to shutdown and stay turned off. They advised me to make sure I had the latest bios update and if I still had problems to rma the board. Also, I just went to newegg and read reviews, turns out there were a few other people who have had the same problem of random shutdowns.

One other question if I could pick your brain for knowledge. If the memory modules pass the memtest, is that proof they are good, or how reliable is the memtest?

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Memtest is probably the best and most efficient way to test your memory without having to spend tons of money on testing equipment. I been using it to test out my builds for as long as I can remember and its pretty reliable. It doesn't gaurantee that the mem modules won't eventually go bad but if you ever think your memory is bad its a good tool to use.

Solution