krikara

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Hello,

I just came back from school and through a 7 hour (bumpy) car ride, my desktop decided not to boot when I got home.

I figured something was loose, so I went inside and unplugged/replugged everything, but nothing changed. I didn't reseat the cpu though.

When I hit the power button to the computer, the psu and cpu fans initially start spinning for a second, and then stops. My psu also actively lights up when my computer is normally running, but now it lights up for an instance then shuts off.

I am thinking this problem is with the PSU, but perhaps it is something else. Also, should are there any other tests that I can do to confirm the problem?

Thanks

krikara

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Okay, I tried reseating the fan/heatsink. It didn't change anything, still the same problems.

Interestingly, though, when I turn off the power switch on the back, the cpu fan starts spinning for 2 seconds and then dies down.

check that a screw did not fall behind the mb and is shorting it out. also check that the mb and the i/o are fine and not shorting out. if you think it a dead short take the mb out and put it on a box with the ram and video card. if you dont want to do that bare bone the pc. just plug in the mb with ram and video card and see if it post if no post pull the video card and see if it beeps.
if it done not beep or put pull the ram. if same issue then it the mb or power supply. alsos check that the 110/220 switch has not moved or was moved.