Radeon HD 7970 2x or Nvidia Kepler

Kaolt

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Hello I am building a gaming PC for FPS,RPG,Racing,MMO..... well about everything and i was wondering should i go with 2 Radeon HD 7970's Crossfire for Eyefinity (3x1 Landscape) or 1-2 Nvidia Kepler's SLI for Nvidia Surround (3x1 Landscape) i am quite new with hardware (so i have no clue what i am doing) generally i'm looking for something with performance and very little troubleshooting that will last for a long while. This is my build so far feel free to critique it but please keep it friendly http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1E155D

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
There are currently no Kepler cards available and there have been no official announcements from nVidia as to when they'll become available. So, unless you plan on waiting until nVidia officially launches their Kepler cards, your best bet for "current gen" graphics cards is the HD7970.

What are the specs of the system your going to be using with this?(CPU,RAM,etc.)

Honestly it's to soon to tell.I think your best bet is to just wait until we get some benchmarks.I'm assuming though if your going for a $1000 GPU setup that the sky's the limit?

Have you given 3D any thought?

Kaolt

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

I would assume that the spec would be in the linked build

"I'm assuming though if your going for a $1000 GPU setup that the sky's the limit?" Pretty much

3D... not really have you had any experiences with it ?

Oh I'm sorry.I didn't see the link.Yah that's gonna be a beast of a machine.

I haven't myself but it seems like something for someone who's shooting for the stars might want to have(I would).Or at least try it out.I've heard that Nvidia's next gen 3D vision was much improved but that was on the GTX500 series I believe.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I love how clueless ppl like the OP will try to compare something like the 7970 to the Kepler. Kepler is right just vaporware, it does not exist, no one know how it will perform or how much it will cost. If you want to build a system, you have to go with whats available right now, if you want to wait, than wait...

jjack339

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
wow that rig will be a lush for sure. I would suggest you build it yourself. I see you are up to 4500 dollars, and I think I could build that for closer to 3500 maybe less on my own....

Do you pay for OCing with UEFI BIOS. You literally change one thing in the bios and bam you oc'd it. There are several youtube vids that show you how.

Dont wait for Kepler. There will always be "new stuff" around the corner. The CPU you picked is currently rated as hands down the best gaming CPU, it is a bit costly, but clearly you have the budget. Right now the 2500k is the price performance CPU of choice.

So my suggestion. Go on Newegg or Tiger and buy all those componants you have listed, and learn how to build it, you probably have a friend who has done it just have him show you its not too bad, and very rewarding and you dont waste money (seriously they want 70 bucks for an extreme OC, I did that myself in literally 30 seconds and have never had any issues)

Kaolt

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Thank you for all of your replies i have decided to go with the HD 7970's and build it myself (a have a few experienced friends who will help me) does anyone have any reccomended sites for parts other than newegg?

holykalo

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Tigerdirect :) Built 4 machines from there, and they have mad warranties

jjack339

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
http://www.newegg.com/Store/Computer.aspx?name=Computer-Hardware

here is actually a better build that you had on the site for 3350 (add another 100 or so for OS)

I honestly think you could drop 150 off with MOBO I chose and get the sabertooth. Also 16GB of ram is overkill 32 is off the charts. Get 8gbs stick however because your board support up to 64gb and you want to leave yourself room to expand.

All in all, your build can be done for under 3000 grand if you cut back in the right areas (Like I said 300 on a MOBO is more than enough, CPU fan, there are some great ones for around 40-50 bucks, ram you can get 16gb of top the line stuff for 90 bucks, case, I paid 80 for a full tower and i love mine, get the GPU you want, personally 2x 7950s is more bang for your buck, but 2x is a good bit more power if price is not a huge issue, do not skimp on PSU get the one I link too, it is awsome, overwise do not skimp on HDD or SDD they can easily bottleneck your system)

Also I used Tigerdirect for my build, I had a great experiance. But I only gave myself a 2000 budget including all accessories and monitor (my 2nd Mon and 2nd 6950 were on a seperate budget, bought them about 45 days after I got build going)

holykalo

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

^+1

RickStik

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
All things considered, you have an exceptional build on your hands and really why wait for Kepler when you can get 2 x 7970's in Crossfire? If you are prepared to take the leap now, take it...I may only suggest looking at a 1000 Watt PSU instead of the 850 Watt you have with this build. Sure the 7970's require less power, I would think with liquid cooling, and dual cards - it never hurts to have a little more juice. All and all....this is one BAD@SS machine!

cmi86

Distinguished
Fact is we don't really know much about kelper (in a real world environment) so it boils down to if you want to take the leap now and get your self a beast of a CFX set-up or hold your breath and wait to see if kelper is worth is weight in hype. In my opinion it wouldn't a bad thing to wait for kelper to release bacause you will get to see real world performance numbers and gauge which is a better fit. Also by then the prices will have dropped a bit on the 7970's as well.