Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can overclocking CPU damage GPU?

Last response: in CPUs
September 1, 2012 2:56:09 AM

As title says. Can overclocking a CPU burn out your GPU and MOBO if the CPU fries?

More about : overclocking cpu damage gpu

September 1, 2012 2:57:42 AM

Best answer selected by vickus420.
Score

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 2:58:58 AM

Hmm.. Potentially yes, it can burn out your motherboard. Especially, if you have a low quality one with bad power handling, you can burn out power mosfets on the mobo and such, literally burn in some cases btw.

I suppose in theory, a motherboard could burn up a GPU as a result of overclocking the CPU and making things go haywire, but I'd say thats unlikely.
Related resources
September 1, 2012 3:00:34 AM

nekulturny said:
Hmm.. Potentially yes, it can burn out your motherboard. Especially, if you have a low quality one with bad power handling, you can burn out power mosfets on the mobo and such, literally burn in some cases btw.

I suppose in theory, a motherboard could burn up a GPU as a result of overclocking the CPU and making things go haywire, but I'd say thats unlikely.

Thanks. I guess I'll just let my CPU run at 65 C under load then.
Score
a c 78 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 3:04:34 AM

Wait.. what CPU, motherboard are we talking about?
Score
September 1, 2012 3:09:10 AM

nekulturny said:
62c is the max safe temperature on Phenom IIs. You're running too hot. If you have an overclock, remove it. Are you using the stock cooler?

Yeah stock cooler. I actually bought a 40$ artctic air and it was cooling it worse than the stock heatsink.. But it goes over 62 even without the 3.8 ghz overclock.

I think the guy who installed it used too much thermal paste and it's insulating it to much

Also I hear AMD max temp is very conservative

But please, correct me if I'm wrong :X
Score
a c 109 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 1, 2012 3:14:40 AM

vickus420 said:
Yeah stock cooler. I actually bought a 40$ artctic air and it was cooling it worse than the stock heatsink.. But it goes over 62 even without the 3.8 ghz overclock.

I think the guy who installed it used too much thermal paste and it's insulating it to much

Also I hear AMD max temp is very conservative

But please, correct me if I'm wrong :X

They're conservative, yes, but considering how cool they run compared to some CPU's at certain voltages, I would consider them to be the max I would want to go.
Score
a c 78 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 3:19:14 AM

It is conservative to an extent as far as the temperatures it can get to before it fries. But in my experience, it tends to flake out around 58-60c and begin not performing as well. The stock coolers do indeed kinda suck. What model was this aftermarket CPU cooler you bought? you can attempt to reapply the thermal paste yourself. I would suggest putting a BB sized pellet in the center of the CPU (after removing all old thermal compound with rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter) and press down and use the pressure of the CPU cooler to spread out the paste, it need not cover the entire surface area in order to cool sufficiently. The thermal paste is merely there to close the gap so to speak of the imperfections of the flat surface of the heatsink. Try to avoid pulling the CPU cooler off once you've made contact as this creates air bubbles.
Score
September 1, 2012 3:27:27 AM

Computer went all crazy and everything crashed and there were lines all over the place whenever I would open a browser. removed OC and going to wait until tomorrow to have the guy put the proper amount of thermal paste on -.-
Score
a c 78 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 3:39:28 AM

Thanks for the link to the other thread DJ.

45c is too hot for an idle temp. I idle at around 38-40 and I'm overclocked to 4.0 to give you a point of reference.

Also, in my experience AMD overdrive gives off core temps that are hotter than the CPU actually is. Use Hwmonitor for more accurate temp readings on your cores.

The guy with "20 years experience" applied the thermal compound incorrectly. LOL. He might want to get 20 years more experience before I'd let him touch my rig. :lol: 
Score
a c 78 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 3:49:58 AM

Hw monitor should have a place that says Core temp:

Score
September 1, 2012 3:50:18 AM

nekulturny said:
Thanks for the link to the other thread DJ.

45c is too hot for an idle temp. I idle at around 38-40 and I'm overclocked to 4.0 to give you a point of reference.

Also, in my experience AMD overdrive gives off core temps that are hotter than the CPU actually is. Use Hwmonitor for more accurate temp readings on your cores.

The guy with "20 years experience" applied the thermal compound incorrectly. LOL. He might want to get 20 years more experience before I'd let him touch my rig. :lol: 

Just downloaded HWmonitor and I can't find my CPU temperature. it says something like WD10EARS and underneath it assembly and then 43c. But I don't know what the 43c is for lol

ah okay I found it. It's like 4c less than what AMD overdrive says. Do you think it would be safe to bump it back up to 3.8ghz?
Score
a c 78 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 3:54:41 AM

As long as it stays under 62c under load, you're fine. Go ahead and bump it back up and run Prime95 Blend for 15 minutes and see what you get.
Score
September 1, 2012 3:54:45 AM

max for me playing GW2 is 59c. Do you think it might be the thermal paste as well?
Score
a c 78 à CPUs
September 1, 2012 3:55:49 AM

Based on that other thread, yea, its very possible that the guy used way too damn much thermal paste which is actually hurts cooling efficiency, not helps it.
Score
September 1, 2012 3:56:15 AM

Okay. thanks so much for help :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 4:42:31 AM

If you use the FSB to OC your CPU and you dont disable Spread Spectrum in BIOS (this way you modify the PCI-e frequency aswell and that is bad), then yes, you can damage you GPU aswell.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 1, 2012 7:44:22 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!