My laptop stopped connecting to wireless network

ikreet

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
my laptop all of a sudden stopped connecting to my wireless network. It was fine before. now it doesn't even find my network or any other networks in the area (it used to before). When i click on the search for available networks it shows "HP Computer Sharing Network". HOW CAN I FIX THIS PROBLEM?

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It soulds like your wireless adapter is switched off. Have a look round the case for a tiny swiitch or on the Function keys for the wireless icon - similar to ((0)) - and press that key and the Fn key at the same time.

kazi malik

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

deepakpaul13

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Similar problem solved by hard setting the wireless channel!

I had similar problems detecting my Wifi connection at time from my laptop. The issue was that the router (a relatively new one) was using a channel not supported by my laptop WLAN card.

The router channel selection was set to Auto and the current channel was set to 13 where as my laptop does not even support channel 13.

To check the channel setting on your Wifi router: Go to the router configuration (usually 192.168.1.1), go to the Wireless option and look for an option which deals with Channels. If this is set to auto, you should usually see which Channel your router is using.

To check the channel setting for your Laptop WLAN card (Windows 7):
1. Go to "Network and Sharing Center" in Control Panel
2. Click on Change Adapter Settings
3. Right click the WLAN device and select Properties
4. In Networking tab, click on Configure
5. In Advanced tab, go to WZC IBSS Channel Number property and look at the value.
6. If this value differs from your router value, you might have trouble detecting the Wifi connection.

You can use a utility called inSSIDer or an android app called Wifi Analyzer as well, to find out which channel your router is using. You can then switch to manual selection of channel on router and select an appropriate channel which is supported by both your router and laptop.

Hope this helps!

Gregspin

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

Check the power management tab in the settings for the wifi network adaptor (in device manager). There's a check box that when ticked allows the operating system to turn off the wifi adaptor to conserve power. The default on some installations is checked, although the default for the second option; i.e. allow it to be turned back in again automatically appears to be unchecked by default. I suggest uncheck ing the first box!

Tnrworks

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015

Tnrworks

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
We tried all that was suggested to get the computer connected. Then, after your suggestion, so very simple, pressing the wifi symbol button at the same time with the fn button, the color on the wifi button changed and the computer was back.
Thank you so very much. My husband said your a genius. Janice