Qestion about i7 860.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonCeles

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hello there. Simple question to whom that may know.

Basically I want to know if it would be worth buying the i7 860 to live stream @1080p 20 or above fps. I have all the requirements accept the processor. I found this chart and the scores didn't look too off. I know people that stream @1080p 30fps with the 2600k and say it only hits around 40% on games like WoW and Guild Wars 2 while streaming.

I was just wondering if I picked up the i7 860, could I expect the same performance or should I just upgrade my entire computer. If there is a better LGA 1156 i7 that you guys can come around for the price, I'd appreciate a link. Thanks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/compare,2407.html?prod%5B4785%5D=on&prod%5B4788%5D=on&prod%5B4482%5D=on

Solution
Do not bump your own threads. Against forum rules.

With that stated. A first generation core i5 or i7xxx has roughly on average 10% lower performance per clock compared to sandy bridge. A tiny bit more (around 5%) for ivy bridge. When overclocked to about 3.6ghz; you'll be able to do most tasks as efficiently as any of the newer generations because the core series of processors from intel is so powerful that AMD is still playing catchup and only recently matched the first generation CPU's.

In other words. The i7-860 can be made to match the same performance of an i7-2600k to within 10-15% and it will absolutely not be a threat to gaming. In fact; your GPU will more likely bottleneck than any recent intel processors.

JonCeles

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

lol, I might of made it too complicated, I'll make it easier here.

Can the i7 860 run and have the same performance as the i7 2600k? If not how much lower would it be. Is it threatening to gaming?

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Do not bump your own threads. Against forum rules.

With that stated. A first generation core i5 or i7xxx has roughly on average 10% lower performance per clock compared to sandy bridge. A tiny bit more (around 5%) for ivy bridge. When overclocked to about 3.6ghz; you'll be able to do most tasks as efficiently as any of the newer generations because the core series of processors from intel is so powerful that AMD is still playing catchup and only recently matched the first generation CPU's.

In other words. The i7-860 can be made to match the same performance of an i7-2600k to within 10-15% and it will absolutely not be a threat to gaming. In fact; your GPU will more likely bottleneck than any recent intel processors.

Solution

JonCeles

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
In reply to both of you,

Sweet that sounds great. I was hoping I could get the same performance out of the i7-860 rather than reverting to a LGA 1155 socket board and CPU.

Question is, since the stock ghz on the CPU is 2.8ghz. How hot will it be running at 3.6ghz? Will I need a something besides a stock fan cooler?

In reply to amuffin.

Yes I already have a LGA 1156 board. I currently have an i3-550 @ 3.20ghz with a stock cooler. It came with the board when it was given to me. I would mostly use it to game, render HD content, and live stream gameplay on streaming websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.