Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • SATA
  • Samsung
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2012 7:00:17 PM

Hello,
I'm trying to solve a problem. Have just built my first computer and have a new sata drive which works fine. Wanted to add my two old ide drives into the system, one as a data drive (Maxtor) and the other to dual boot with Windows XP (Samsung). However my new Asus p8z68 motherboard doesn't have any ide headers. So I bought a couple of ide to sata adapters from ebay and connected the drives. All was great and both ide drives were working fine until I had to redo the dual boot. So I wiped and formatted both the sata drive and the Samsung ide drive that had XP on it and started again. This is when the problem arose. Now, although the ide drive shows up in BIOS, Windows 7 hangs at the boot logo and will not load. As soon as I disconnect the Samsung ide drive, it's fine. BUT, the ide to sata adapter works fine with the Maxtor ide drive (the data one). I've tried formatting the Samsung ide drive again. but even with a completely blank drive, Windows 7 (on the sata drive) will not load with the Samsung ide drive connected, but it will when I have my Maxtor ide drive connected. What's the difference? Why does it work with one and not the other? Why did both drives work before and now the Samsung one doesn't? Please help!

More about : ide sata adapter works drive

May 14, 2012 8:24:42 PM

ditch the IDE drives, replace with new SATA drives.
you should replace harddrives every 5 years to reduce risk of HDD failure anyways.

in my experience those SATA-IDE adpaters are quite finiky, you should only use them temporarily for the purpose of getting data off old IDE drives.

if you're bound and determined to keep using your IDE drives then the only reasonable & reliable solution would be to buy an internal PCI IDE adapter CARD, they're <$20, though i'm unsure if any are bootable.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2012 12:02:08 AM

I agree. I have 2 of them, they aren't really appropriate for daily use. They're best used for getting your data off your old IDE drives before you toss them in the garbage. What can I say? The cost of advancement...
Related resources
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2012 12:04:52 AM

Branden said:
ditch the IDE drives, replace with new SATA drives.
you should replace harddrives every 5 years to reduce risk of HDD failure anyways.

in my experience those SATA-IDE adpaters are quite finiky, you should only use them temporarily for the purpose of getting data off old IDE drives.

if you're bound and determined to keep using your IDE drives then the only reasonable & reliable solution would be to buy an internal PCI IDE adapter CARD, they're <$20, though i'm unsure if any are bootable.

The adapter card probably can be used as a bootable, but I'm not sure. They have PCI based SSD drives that can boot, and you can boot off a USB external drive, so I don't see why you couldn't boot Windows on one, but why would you want to? IDE drives are old and slow, and an adapter won't boost its performance.
May 15, 2012 2:42:52 PM

nekulturny said:
The adapter card probably can be used as a bootable, but I'm not sure. They have PCI based SSD drives that can boot, and you can boot off a USB external drive, so I don't see why you couldn't boot Windows on one, but why would you want to? IDE drives are old and slow, and an adapter won't boost its performance.

the way i understand it is in order to boot off an adapter card you need 2 things: mobo that allows booting from PCI/PCIe and a bootable PCI/PCIe card.
the last time i used my IDE adapter card was on a P4 machine years ago, at that time either the card wasn't bootable or the mobo wasn't capable of booting from PCI port.

now i just use a USB-IDE adapter for the odd time i need to access an old IDE HDD (not like USB throughput hampers old IDE HDD throughput by much anyways).
May 15, 2012 5:33:15 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.
!